“Need a cold shower?”

Hampton Inn & Suites Charlotte - South Park
Ranked #3 of 180 Hotels in Charlotte
Reviewed 23 April 2008

The biggest problem with this hotel is that they do not have HOT WATER. Every morning I was forced to take a 2 minute shower because that was as much as I could stand of the cold water.

I spoke with management and their reply was that they have ONE hot water heater AT THE OTHER END OF THE HOTEL. Their advice was to let the water run for 5-10 mins (1. Tried it, didn't work & 2. Charlotte is supposed to be on water restriction b/c of the drought - good to know they are doing their part!) or ask for a room on the opposite end of the hotel. As if new guests are supposed to know to ask to be on the side of the water heater.

Other than that, the stay was tolerable. Yes, they are renovating, which means boxes strewn throughout the floors, but the staff was nice. However, the cold showers were unbearable and despite the renovations, they have no plans to correct it. Even shelters provide hot water for showers. I'm an adult and I was miserable, I would hate for a kid to have to put up with that. Stay away, especially if there are kids involved.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled on business
1  Thank TripNorthCarolina

Reviewed 28 February 2008

This was the nicest Hampton Inn I have ever stayed in. The rooms and beds were clean and beautiful. Free internet. Okay breakfast, but very friendly staff. Surrounded by wonderful restaurants and shopping.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled on business
1  Thank Babeola
Reviewed 9 February 2008

We stayed at the Hampton Inn in late Jan. We found the hotel under renovation and of course wasn't thrilled. I'm sure the staff had been having a tough time with jack hammering going on daily. I asked for a room away from the elevator and of course, our room was right by the elevator. I asked if there was another room available and was given one on the 2nd floor right above the jack hammering. So there was no rest for the weary with such noise. We journeyed across to the mall till 5 PM. to make sure the work would be done for the day. I was very disappointed with the reservationist that gave us the room as she didn't mention the work below our floor. I spoke to the manager later in the day and he didn't charge us for the room which was very nice. We generally stay there when in Charlotte but I think I'll check out the Marriott next time in the Queen city, simply because of the lady that gave us the room. She could have been a little nicer and mentioned the work force below our room.

• Stayed: January 2008
1  Thank Nikon70
Reviewed 13 January 2008

Was looking for a close place to stay while attending the Lowes Motor Speedway. This hotel is centrally located to all the shopping, restaurants,and the speedway. It was a great place to relax after a long day at the track. The hotel staff was very helpful and the beautiful surroundings were just awesome. The room couldn't have been any more perfect. The oversized down comforter on the bed made me feel like a princess and the jacuzzi tub was seperated from the main bathroom, which was great. Thankyou Hampton Inn, we will definetely return !

• Stayed: September 2006, travelled as a couple
2  Thank NascarFreak
Reviewed 2 October 2007

Upscale Hampton Property which has been maintained well (Elevator first inspection was in 1998). Housekeeping for my room on the third floor was good in the bathroom but not so good as far as the beds. Checked in late and one bed linens had some hair (was used before) and the other had a bunch of dark lint which looked like someone's clothes. Since was late just brushed off anything we could and slept. Hung tag on bathroom door indicating linen change as well as leaving a tip did not result in a bed change. The next day I informed the front desk and they handled it - I also for added measure left the few dollars tip with a note to please change the linens. I was on a corner room that you may want to avoid at any hotel in general - there were a few ants every day of my stay on the desk and in the bath but they were not a problem. Breakfast, linens, bathroom are the same design and quality as other Hamptons. I had a standard room but the suites here are a little more expensive but have a kitchenette etc. They had a 30" or so Dell LCD TV's installed in the armoire with external speakers mounted on the side which looked good but this affected the side viewing (when you sit on the couch or desk chair. This hotel is located in a upscale shopping area. Ate late at a Ruby Tuesday located about 1/2 mile down the road. If you are without a vehicle there are some restaurants but they are a bit expensive.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled as a couple
2  Thank gogto
Reviewed 22 August 2007

Upscale hotel in an upscale part of town without an upscale price! Very clean and elegant. This is the nicest Hampton Inn I've ever been in. Boutiques and nice restaurants e.g. PF Changs just outside your door.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 July 2007

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for a friend's wedding weekend. We had a fabulous time and could not have been more impressed with the Hampton Inn! The location is excellent - surrounded by upscale dining and shopping and minutes from downtown. The staff was friendly and helpful, assisting us with transportation and recommendations for restaurants.

Most importantly, we loved our room (King Bed with Garden Tub) and thought that it was a GREAT value for the cost per night.

The included breakfast was good and the overall facility was well maintained and clean. We will definitely be back whenever we're in Charlotte!

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled solo