“Disappointed at return”

Hampton Inn & Suites Charlotte - South Park
Ranked #3 of 180 Hotels in Charlotte
Reviewed 28 May 2008

This was my second time at this hotel and while I was really pleased last October I was slightly disappointed this time. The hotel is currently under renovation which I didn't know before. There were some noises in the morning although they seem to take care it doesn't start too early. My room had a strange odor which only disappeared when the fan was on the highest level for a while. I later learned there were new rooms and old ones; why I as a returning customer who even brought other guests to this place got an old one I probably don't have to understand.

There were two computers in the business center, one wasn't connected at first, the other had problems with the internet connection. When I reported the problem to the front desk, the lady told me the one not working had never worked as long as she was there. She promised to let maintenance come for the internet and even offered the front desk computer in case my needs were urgent. They weren't so I returned to the business center the next morning and find everything unchanged. I reported it to the manager and the internet was up again within 30 minutes. That same evening the other computer was woking as well.

Breakfast quality was good and the lady attending the breakfast area was the friendliest of all within the whole staff. Housekeeping was okay but they forgot to replace coffee and conditioner one day.

Not sure if I will come again. I love the area where the place is located though so I might give them another chance when renovation is completed.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled solo

Reviewed 12 May 2008

I would love to give this hotel an outstanding review, but there were a couple issues that we experienced. The first room they gave us, while decorated nicely, had a strong sewage smell....we asked to be moved and were given another room proptly. The manager stated that was the only room left that still had an odor in it due to nearby construction. This leads me to wonder though, why we were not given a nonsmelling room to begin with?

The second major issue we encountered, was the bathroom sink faucet did not dispense any water. The room we finally ended up in was recently remodeled. The bed was extremly comfortable, nice fixtures and decorations. The tv within the bathroom mirro was an exciting feature I have never seen at a hotel before.

The lobby and public areas were decorated very nicely as well.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 April 2008

The biggest problem with this hotel is that they do not have HOT WATER. Every morning I was forced to take a 2 minute shower because that was as much as I could stand of the cold water.

I spoke with management and their reply was that they have ONE hot water heater AT THE OTHER END OF THE HOTEL. Their advice was to let the water run for 5-10 mins (1. Tried it, didn't work & 2. Charlotte is supposed to be on water restriction b/c of the drought - good to know they are doing their part!) or ask for a room on the opposite end of the hotel. As if new guests are supposed to know to ask to be on the side of the water heater.

Other than that, the stay was tolerable. Yes, they are renovating, which means boxes strewn throughout the floors, but the staff was nice. However, the cold showers were unbearable and despite the renovations, they have no plans to correct it. Even shelters provide hot water for showers. I'm an adult and I was miserable, I would hate for a kid to have to put up with that. Stay away, especially if there are kids involved.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled on business
1  Thank TripNorthCarolina
Reviewed 28 February 2008

This was the nicest Hampton Inn I have ever stayed in. The rooms and beds were clean and beautiful. Free internet. Okay breakfast, but very friendly staff. Surrounded by wonderful restaurants and shopping.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled on business
1  Thank Babeola
Reviewed 9 February 2008

We stayed at the Hampton Inn in late Jan. We found the hotel under renovation and of course wasn't thrilled. I'm sure the staff had been having a tough time with jack hammering going on daily. I asked for a room away from the elevator and of course, our room was right by the elevator. I asked if there was another room available and was given one on the 2nd floor right above the jack hammering. So there was no rest for the weary with such noise. We journeyed across to the mall till 5 PM. to make sure the work would be done for the day. I was very disappointed with the reservationist that gave us the room as she didn't mention the work below our floor. I spoke to the manager later in the day and he didn't charge us for the room which was very nice. We generally stay there when in Charlotte but I think I'll check out the Marriott next time in the Queen city, simply because of the lady that gave us the room. She could have been a little nicer and mentioned the work force below our room.

• Stayed: January 2008
1  Thank Nikon70
Reviewed 13 January 2008

Was looking for a close place to stay while attending the Lowes Motor Speedway. This hotel is centrally located to all the shopping, restaurants,and the speedway. It was a great place to relax after a long day at the track. The hotel staff was very helpful and the beautiful surroundings were just awesome. The room couldn't have been any more perfect. The oversized down comforter on the bed made me feel like a princess and the jacuzzi tub was seperated from the main bathroom, which was great. Thankyou Hampton Inn, we will definetely return !

• Stayed: September 2006, travelled as a couple
2  Thank NascarFreak
Reviewed 2 October 2007

Upscale Hampton Property which has been maintained well (Elevator first inspection was in 1998). Housekeeping for my room on the third floor was good in the bathroom but not so good as far as the beds. Checked in late and one bed linens had some hair (was used before) and the other had a bunch of dark lint which looked like someone's clothes. Since was late just brushed off anything we could and slept. Hung tag on bathroom door indicating linen change as well as leaving a tip did not result in a bed change. The next day I informed the front desk and they handled it - I also for added measure left the few dollars tip with a note to please change the linens. I was on a corner room that you may want to avoid at any hotel in general - there were a few ants every day of my stay on the desk and in the bath but they were not a problem. Breakfast, linens, bathroom are the same design and quality as other Hamptons. I had a standard room but the suites here are a little more expensive but have a kitchenette etc. They had a 30" or so Dell LCD TV's installed in the armoire with external speakers mounted on the side which looked good but this affected the side viewing (when you sit on the couch or desk chair. This hotel is located in a upscale shopping area. Ate late at a Ruby Tuesday located about 1/2 mile down the road. If you are without a vehicle there are some restaurants but they are a bit expensive.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled as a couple