“Very cozy”

Sleep Inn University Place
Ranked #78 of 178 Hotels in Charlotte
“Very cozy”
Reviewed 6 September 2013

I've stayed here on 3 different occasions and I've never had any problems. The staff are very pleasant and helpful. Located between Bojangles and Shoneys and across from IHop and Walgreens so you don't have to go far for food and Walmart is abt 2 blocks down. It can be a bit pricey at times and the pillows are uncomfortable but altogether it's a great place to stay in the University area.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
gmnc005, General Manager at Sleep Inn University Place, responded to this review, 10 September 2013
Thank you for staying with us while visiting the Charlotte University area! I really appreciate your review and I'm happy you enjoyed your stay. I am sorry you were not comfortable with our pillows. We are working on updating our pillows to a higher quality to correct this problem. Please let me know if I can be of any help and we hope to see you on future trips to Charlotte!
Sam Lucas

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Gallatin, Tennessee
Reviewed 27 August 2013

The staff at this hotel was very pleasant. The hotel was pretty loud and rowdy so we didn’t get much sleep. The room was very, very small and at $100 per night I expected more. The beds were okay but not overly comfortable and I was surprised that they were only full size, not queen. The pillows were not even full size they were the size of throw pillows; so small in fact, that the pillow cases did not even fit them. The bathroom caused claustrophobia and toilet was very low to the ground. The shower was actually as big as or bigger than the rest of the bathroom. They room did include a mini fridge. I would not stay here again and I would not recommend the hotel to anyone. You can get a lot more for the same money at a different chain.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Lynne_S1912
gmnc005, General Manager at Sleep Inn University Place, responded to this review, 28 August 2013
Thank you for staying with us while visiting Charlotte.
I am sorry that you heard noise from the people next to you. We do our best to keep the hotel quiet and immediately respond to noise complaints.
I understand your concern about the size. Our rooms are not as large as some of the more expensive hotels in this area. Plus we include so many amenities like refrigerators, microwaves, coffee makers, hair dryers, flat screen tv's, irons and ironing boards and in addition we include a free hot breakfast in the morning.
Carolina Beach, North Carolina
Reviewed 15 August 2013

My wife and I stayed here for a change of pace night. Room was small, but very clean and comfortable. Bed was a bit hard, but not terrible. Pet friendly with lots of choices at Continental breakfast. Inadvertently left my car ignition switch on all night.....completely dead battery in the morning. Hotel manager couldn't have been nicer. He came out to our car with a jumper battery and kept trying till car started. Price was much better than any others in the area. Small outdoor pool, but clean. Would definitely recommend this place to anyone. Excellent value...nice staff.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
gmnc005, General Manager at Sleep Inn University Place, responded to this review, 19 August 2013
Thank you for staying with us! I am happy that you enjoyed your stay and I am glad that we were able to get your car started in the morning. In addition to the free coffee and hot breakfast we have free jump starts for auto's too.
Reston, Virginia
Reviewed 14 August 2013

This is where I wonder if we are talking about the same place as the other reviewers. Driving to DC from Seaside, FL on 8/10/13, we pulled into Charlotte just after 11:00 pm to find a room. While the lobby looked a little sketchy, the girl at reception was lovely, very helpful. We were given keys to two non-smoking rooms and went upstairs. First indication that something was wrong was that the room absolutely reeked of tobacco smoke. I called the desk and they offered to move us to another room. There was a loud, noisy party going on next door and I could barely hear her. Looking around the room I seriously wondered if the sheets on the bed were clean, they looked like they had not been changed from the last guest. Found the same conditions in our party's second room.

Cutting to the chase, we checked in at this hotel at 11:20 pm and checked out at 11:40. The girl at the desk could not have been nicer, the hotel could not have been worse. Drove another 2 minutes and found another hotel where we could get six hours of sleep before an early departure, the Drury Inn. It was locely and about the same price. Do yourself a favor and don't waste your time at The Sleep Inn. Why in the world would you?

Room Tip: Drive two blocks down the street!
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank mastdis
I am sorry that you decided not to stay with us. I appologize for the noise from the room next door and smell of smoke. I appreciate that you reported this to the front desk so we could make sure they quiet down and stop smoking. If they did not stop the party and quiet down we would have them leave the hotel. I wish you would have accepted the offer from the front desk and try a different room but I understand.
Thank you for letting me know about this situation.
Watauga, Tennessee
Reviewed 8 August 2013

This This room was booked because of location and value, but the room was fantastic! The huge shower was a treat. The beds were super comfy. I found myself not wanting to leave. The staff was great and the breakfast bar was beyond adequate. Thanks for a relaxing stay!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
gmnc005, General Manager at Sleep Inn University Place, responded to this review, 12 August 2013
Thank you for staying with us while visiting Charlotte.
I really appreciate your review! We are happy to hear you enjoyed your stay and we hope to see you on future trips. If you would like in the future we can even extend your check out time until 1pm.
West Bloomfield, Michigan
Reviewed 29 July 2013 via mobile

The price was nice, even better if you have AAA. The rooms were nice & clean, (I don't like the sink being outside of the bathroom). The staff was nice & helpful. Breakfast was cool (it was free). The location was ok but you have to drive if you want to go downtown.

• Stayed July 2013
gmnc005, General Manager at Sleep Inn University Place, responded to this review, 31 July 2013
Thank you for staying with us while visiting Charlotte!
I am happy you enjoyed your stay, and really appreciate your review. Thank you for commenting on our great value and I'm glad you enjoyed our free hot breakfast. We hope you will stay with us on future trips.
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed 20 July 2013

I booked rooms at the Sleep Inn at the last minute due to a family emergency. Booking through the Choice Hotel web site was confusing me but as soon as I called the hotel and talked to Brittany all was well. Upon arrival, Brittany was still on duty and welcomed us to the establishment and check in was quick. The rooms are rather small but they are clean and comfortable. I slept like a rock on their beds. The breakfast is the usual for this class of establish and nothing spectacular but their coffee was delicious. There is a Shoney's and Popeye's chicken right next door, so you can always choose other places to eat. All in all a great little find and I would stay again if I needed to be in the area. It is very close to Carolina Medical University Hospital too.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
gmnc005, General Manager at Sleep Inn University Place, responded to this review, 26 July 2013
Thank you for sharing your experience with this review! We strive everyday to have the friendliest staff and offer the best accomodations. I appreciate you staying with us and we look forward to seeing you next time!