“Very Nice Downtown Option”

Holiday Inn Charlotte - Center City
Ranked #47 of 178 Hotels in Charlotte
Ohio
“Very Nice Downtown Option”
Reviewed 22 March 2008

SItting in this hotel right now! Free wireless, so close to all of the downtown nightlife and clubs. We pulled in to the hotel parking garage ($12 self park fee) around midnight and you could hear the music blasting on the streets and people were everywhere. We were worried that we wouldn't get any sleep, but the hotel is very well insulated and sound proof. Everything about this hotel from the service (room service arrived promptly and great food), to the bedding (down pillows, nice comforters) very roomy king size rooms. The only thing I didn't like is the sink isn't in the bathroom and there is no room to put your toiletries.
All in all, great hotel, great location, very quiet and comfortable room.

• Liked — Bedding
  • Disliked — Sink not in bathroom
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank milljol

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 22 March 2008

I'm in Charlotte for business and the Holiday Inn is an excellent choice if you are working downtown. Great staff, nice decor, and perfect location; makes you think of a Marriott, not a Holiday Inn. This is a flagship, however, so they've really done a nice job.

The good:
* Updated, rooms are nice, location, staff, restaurant onsite is convenient, has great hours and is very good.

The bad:
* Bed is average comfortable, bathroom sink is modern (which I liked) but not a lot of room around it for your toiletries.

Comparatively speaking, the good waaay outweighs the bad.

• Stayed March 2008, travelled on business
1 Thank cyenti
south carolina
Reviewed 15 March 2008

I traveled to Charlotte for a conference that was held at the hotel. My co-worker and I arrived at the hotel that evening. Check in was typical, but the desk clerk gave me the the directions and information about the hotel at a very fast rate. After we parked in the garage for $12 per night, we took the elevator up to our room....or so we thought. The elevator in the parking garage only took you to the different levels of the parking garage. After being informed of this information by others riding the elevator and oh yeah probably by the clerk at check in who talked entirely too fast and too soft to comprehend, we walked all the way around the hotel until we made it back to the front entrance. My co-worker and I even passed by a bar with plenty of "happy" people hanging out outside as we carried our luggage through the crowd. Talk about embarrasing.

The remodeled decor of the hotel was nice, but not very functional. I did not like the fact that after using the bathroom I had to open the bathroom door in order to use the sink. I also did not like the fact that there was no fan in the bathroom after a hot shower and there was only one trash can in the room, which was located in the steamy bathroom. The overall room was average and we both slept okay.

We ate at Cafe Sienna our last day there only because it was raining and we didn't have an umbrella. The menu seemed decent, but way too pricey for the portions. The waiters were very nice though, the soups were tasty and not too expensive.

At check out we were told that we didn't need anything else because all charges had been taken care of, well no one bothered to tell the agitated ticket collector at the exit. When we told her we did not have a ticket, she just went off. She had a very bad attitude towards us for no reason. My co-worker had to return to the front desk and get a validated ticket before she would let us out or we would have had to pay an extra $15. The location was very good (directly beside Bobcats Arena), but unfortunately that is about the only thing good I have to say about this hotel. Holiday Inn disappointed me and my co-worker.

• Liked — Great Location
  • Disliked — The staff service
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled on business
1 Thank bluangeldan
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 25 February 2008

I stayed at this hotel the weekend of February 23rd. Upon arrival I was pleasantly surpised at the lobby decor. It's got nice updated furniture that has a funky feel! The front desk agent was not overly friendly. When I asked him if there was a basketball game that evening he said "I don't know" - then I asked about things to do and he said "i don't know" - hmmm....you would have thought he could suggest something to do being that he works in the area?
We received a cityview room located on the 8th floor. The room had been recently been renovated and is done up in neutral colors. The bed was large with lots of pillows. Everything was clean. Only problem we had was the tub didn't drain the water very fast so you took a shower while standing in water.
Also the vanity sink is neat but takes up TOO MUCH room.

The restaurant at the hotel was nice. We only ate breakfast there and had the buffet. Food variety was good however some pastries were hard - probably from sitting out all morning.

If you are looking for things to do in the uptown area there really isn't a whole lot. There are plenty of places to eat and drink but as far as activites they aren't within walking distance. We were there a weekend when there were no games going on.
They do have a train system that took us to different stops. The cost was $2.60 per person round-trip. There is an entertainment place called Jillian's along the route!

All in all it was a nice hotel and an o.k. area.

• Liked — location, renovation updates, low cost
  • Disliked — bathroom setup, unfriendly front desk
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled with friends
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 21 February 2008

Booked the hotel by checking out their prices online and calling to make a reservation. Stayed here overnight for a work event in December 2007. Charlotte and the hotel itself is very close to the airport, probably 15 minutes away. This hotel was located right downtown with plenty of restaurants to choose from within walking distance. It's $10 to park your car in the ramp with unlimited in/out access. I can't remember if it was $10/day or $10 for your entire stay.

The hotel service was good. I think they signed me up for their Priority Club Card, which is free to do and came in handy in January 2008 for an upgrade at a different location.

The room itself was nice and clean with free wireless internet. I ate at the hot breakfast buffet, which was included in my stay - they initially forgot about it but I called the front desk from my room and they promptly brought me a coupon to use in the morning. There was scrabbled eggs, bacon and sausage, breakfast potatoes, waffles and I think some other bakery type stuff, some fruit, and yogurt. The wait staff serves you coffee and juice. I'm sure they don't mind a tip, although the buffet is free.

The rooftop swimming pool was closed for the winter and they don't have an indoor pool. The gym and "track" was also on the rooftop. The gym looked nice. I took a walk around the track and got a good view of the city.

Overall good experience for the value, location, cleanliness.

• Liked — location, wireless internet, cleanliness, hot breakfast buffet
  • Disliked — parking
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled on business
Atlanta
Reviewed 19 February 2008

Location, Location, Location. The location of this hotel is great for everything in Uptown Charlotte. The Bobcats Arena and new Children's Center is right next door on one side, the Library and Dicovery Place Museum on the other side. The Central Banking and Business District and Performing Arts Center is also right next door. The convention center is only a few blocks away and great restaurants and entertainment is all withing walking distance. The new rapid rail transit stops right behind the hotel. The property is older, but has been remodeled and is in decent shape. Beds are comfortable and clean. The worst feature is probably parking. You have to walk outside and around the building to get to the parking garage, which they charge you $12 a night to self park. That was the only negative. At $50 on a priceline bid it was a great value and I recommend it for families or business.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Parking Inconvienence/ Expense
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled with family
LaGrange, GA
Reviewed 14 February 2008

Went for a week long training conference with 6 co-workers. Holiday Inn has really made some changes! I haven't stayed in one in a while, but this hotel was very modern(furniture, fixtures, etc.) and clean.
The restaurant was absolutely excellent! Ate breakfast and dinner there more than once- comfortable place to have drinks with a small group- leather couches. Food was amazing!

The valet service was very good and friendly- they all knew us by name by the end of the week.

Very friendly service- I had a problem with my
TV the first night and a problem with my key the second- but both issues were quickly resolved.

Location was great! The comfort of the hotel made this long conference trip very enjoyable!
Try the Brazillian and seafood restaurants across the street

• Liked — location/restaurant
  • Disliked — hot tub not open in winter
  • Stayed January 2008, travelled on business