“Great hotel - well located, nice rooms” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Holiday Inn Charlotte - Center City

Holiday Inn Charlotte - Center City
Ranked #39 of 176 Hotels in Charlotte
Richmond, Virginia
“Great hotel - well located, nice rooms”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2014

Stayed here for a recent conference. The hotel is right in downtown Charlotte near the Time Warner Arena.

Check-in was easy and the hotel makes a great first impression with a pleasant lobby.

The room was large and well appointed - great bed and linens, great desk and work station, stand to put my suitcase, closet, nice bathroom, good cable options on TV, and a strong wifi signal. I believe Holiday Inn has really lifted 'their game' in recent years to compete with the Marriott's and Hilton's for business travelers. It has worked. This is another quality property.

It I had a criticism - is the gym here is pitiful given the size of the hotel. I am a dedicated workout person and was disappointed by this. I noticed a Golds Gym nearby. If I stay at this hotel again, might explore using Golds.

The restaurant downstairs is a little pricey but has decent options for breakfast and even dinner (had the lamb chops one night - very good).

The hotel has a great location - walked to a Bobcats game one night and there are a wealth of dining options in the area. Charlotte is a great city to visit.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
HolidayInnUptown, Manager at Holiday Inn Charlotte - Center City, responded to this review, 13 January 2014
Dear mjohns7861,

Thank you for sharing your comments regarding your recent stay at our hotel. Although our fitness center has great Precor equipment I can understand the need for a better work out. We do offer passes to the Gold's Gym in the Epicentre at $10.00 per pass. We have advertised in the fitness room but it appears the signs were removed. We look forward to your return and will have your pass ready.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
charleston, sc
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2014

Stayed over New Year's this year, and the hotel exceeded our expectations! I thought that I would be getting more of a Holiday Inn Express experience, but it was so much better! The hotel contains a full service restaurant (very pleasant and attentive staff)!, valet parking, and luggage service. It is very close to a number of very good restaurants (Luce and Kings Kitchen are two of them), the EpiCenter, and the Time Warner Arena. The view from the rooftop terrace is beautiful at night! The bed was also very, very comfortable! The staff even left us New Year's Eve party hats and horns in our room for the impending celebration! The only negative was that the Concierge room was closed for the holidays, and we weren't expecting it.

Room Tip: The 15th floor contains the concierge room.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Laurentia007,

Happy New Year and thank you for celebrating with us! We truly appreciate the outstanding feedback and you sharing it with others. Hurry back!
McAllen, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 December 2013

Great location and staff for a week long conference - easy walking manager recp and treated very nice and excellent breakfast - well worth the stay and eay walk to the conference felt very safe - better than staying at location

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank StephStx
Dear Stephstx,

Thank you for taking time to share your exceptional experience with others. We hope that your conference will return to Charlotte and you have theh opportunity to be our guest again.
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 November 2013

The title is driven by my sleep disrupted night on my first night. When I arrived in my room I was taken by the large minibar but upon inspection it turned out to be a large empty fridge. So, if you want to cool cases of beer this is the place for you. I thought no more of it until about 1 in the morning when I woke from my sleep on account of the fridge firing up. I turned over and went back to sleep but half an hour later it did so again and woke me again. I turned over thinking a) I'm so tired I'll sleep through anything and b) there's nothing in the fridge it won't fire up again. Wrong on both counts! at about 3 I finally got up to try and switch it off but couldn't find a switch and so passed an unhappy night. In daylight I followed the wires and pulled out the plug and for the rest of the week I slept like a log. So, it was an irritant rather than a major issue but if you don't want to cool stuff I do recommend you switch off the fridge because not only is it big, in the quiet of night it sounds very noisy. My recommendation to Holiday Inn is to replace them (when appropriate) with smaller, quieter models). I realise I've dwelled on this point overly much and so I'll give you my other gripe and move on to happier comments.

My other gripe is no draft beer in the bar.

So, on the upside the bar has promotions every night and we got to try foreign beer, domestic beer and local beer. Going back to my room, once the fridge was off, the bed was comfortable and I slept very well. There were enough power sockets to charge my phone, power my laptop and so on and there was a good working desk.

For breakfast I did not try any of the a la carte options and so cannot comment but the standard buffet fare was improved by an omelette station which I enjoyed.

Compliments to the front desk who never seemed to keep you waiting and who were very knowledgeable and extremely helpful.

Location is very convenient for the centre.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Charlotte - Center City, responded to this review, 11 December 2013
Dear AJMacD,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We appreciate you taking the time to help us improve our guest services.

I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience the refrigerator has caused you. We regret that this has negatively impacted your overall experience with us. This is definitely not up to our standards as we always strive to keep all our amenities in tip-top shape. Rest assured that your comments will be forwarded to the hotel's management and will be used to consider improvements where possible.

Once again, thank you for bringing this matter to our attention. We all hope that you give us another chance so we can make your stay as best as it can be.

Dhan M
Case Manager
IHGCare
Woburn, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Holiday Inn Charlotte for a wedding. This was our first visit to Charlotte and we were very happy with this hotel. The location is excellent, it's right downtown and convenient and walkable to many of the sights. The staff was extremely friendly and welcoming. We did stay on a Friday and Saturday nights so there was some street noise from bar-goers late into the night, even on the 9th floor it was distracting. The room was clean and a decent size and the price was reasonable. I would love to return to Charlotte someday and I would happily stay at the Holiday Inn again.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
HolidayInnUptown, Manager at Holiday Inn Charlotte - Center City, responded to this review, 19 November 2013
Dear Benjamin M,

We are delighted that you returned again to be our guest and we appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with others. Thank you again and we look forward to your next visit.
Gurgaon
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2013

The hotel is located right in the downtown area, but the services provided are average. The rooms are not very well designed and the amenities are really average. The services provided (like laundry) are overpriced.
Not a great value for money.

Room Tip: Higher floors have a better view.
1 Thank kocharsabi
Dear Laura,

Congratulations on competing in the bodybuilding competition. I am aware that we offered a discounted group rate and government rates are offered based on the hotel's availability. I was curious if the Executive King Suite was misrepresented on the website. Unfortunately we do not have any 2 bedroom suites, but rather an Executive Suite and a Parlor (junior) Suite both having 1 king bed. Thank you again for taking the time to share your concerns and we appreciate your feedback.
St. Augustine, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2013

Was very pleased with recent business stay downtown. Friendly desk staff greeted me and made me feel welcome. Valet parking was fast and attentive. The hotel has a little bistro that was comfortable and nice. The priority club concierge lounge had very good appetizers and drinks after work and a nice little free continental breakfast in the morning. Room was comfortable and had a nice TV. My only small criticism is it had one of those modern looking square bowl sinks and it just wasn't very functional somehow. I would definitely stay there again.

Dear owbunger32,

We are so happy that you had a great time and we truly appreciate you sharing your experience with others. Athough the sinks look cool I understand they may not be as functional as a regular sink should be, Thank you.