“Nice Hotel”

Holiday Inn Charlotte - Center City
Ranked #47 of 180 Hotels in Charlotte
Reviewed 20 October 2008

We stayed at the Holiday Inn Center City for (1) Night October 18th. The hotel is very nice and clean. We had a Spacious King Suite. The only complait we had is parking was $12 if you self parked or $16 for Valet parking, I think that is a little much for what the hotel costs anyways. We decided to self park since Valet was backed up out in the main road and after we self parked we found out the Elevator was broken in the parking deck so we had to walk down the parking deck to the front of the hotel, carrying all our bags. Not a easy thing to do! All in All hotel was very nice, but wouldn't pay that much to stay again.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 11 August 2008

I went to Center City HI because my husband and I needed to get away and we really had never been to Charlotte downtown. Sure everyone's been to Carowinds, but never downtown. I was really looking forward to seeing their "art scene".

When we got there, the clerk wasn't very interested in giving us the "above and beyond" service I was looking for, but I figured it had to do with the steep discount I got for the room since I only paid 50 for it, and their rates are well over a 100. She was probably being smug thinking we were getting over. I just use my resources. :P Nevertheless check in went smoothly. I live in a city were parking never costs unless you're there too long and you get a parking ticket so the 12 dollars just to park the car was astonishing for me. I figured that should be included in the rate, not seperate. But since they're sharing a parking deck with other businesses and people not staying at the HI it probably helps with accounting at the end of the day. And I was warned about it before hand.

We had no problems with the garage, even the valet, and the people working in the garage reminded us to get our ticket validated at the front desk before we leave. The valet was very nice, and even offered to hold our bags while we parked, he was very helpful. I guess because he couldn't see our rate. :)

The desk clerk did speak rather fast, like I read another reviewer say. And she explained the elevator in the parking garage and validated our ticket on check in, but she didn't tell us that if you're staying on a floor higher than 9 you have to insert your key card in the slot on the elevator. We spent like 10 minutes pushing buttons wondering why we couldn't get to our floor. We gave up, got off at the 9th floor and hoofed it up the stairs to the 10th floor. I'm not sure if this is because we're Priority Club members and those are special floors, thats why we have to have a key to get to it, but I would have figured she would have told us that before we spent 10 minutes switching elevators thinking that maybe its broken, or this one doesn't go that high. And the stairwell was not very sanitary. :(

All of our drama was however washed away when we got to the room. Wonderful. All white linens, which were clean and so soft, I slept like a baby. I loved the sink, and the granite counter. No microwave or fridge so all of the snacks I was carrying on the road had to be eaten that night. The view was amazing.

We decided to go to this rooftop pool, knowing it closes soon we weren't planning on getting in, just looking at what they had for future visits. When we opened the door to the roof we were greeted, well grunted at by the security guard who muttered, "Pool's closed" I told him I know, I just want to look not swim. Obviously since we did not have on swim gear. Thusly he became more irritated I suppose at our presence and kept grunting, "Its closed." until we were forced off of the roof and he locked the door behind us. Another guest by the elevator explained that the whole roof closes, not just the pool. I was kind of miffed that this guard couldn't have just said that instead of pushing us out like that. Like we were trouble makers.

The location was wonderful, we walked to the IMAX to see "The Dark Knight" the next afternoon, it was less than a block away. We walked to the mint museum and for everything else the LYNX train was right there to ride, and we rode that just because there's nothing like that at home. Downtown was wonderful, we couldn't take it all in, but the location was great, we will go back. A little less than wonderful customer service, but the rooms were wonderful and the location was great, we never moved our car until we left and we didn't miss out on anything. Since we know how it works we'll keep coming back.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank acday1001
Reviewed 13 April 2008

Was in Charlotte on bizz. Holiday Inn very convenient. Had a junior suite and it was very comfortable. Next door to Mert's Heart and Soul and a cleaners which I used. Front desk when I checked in very friendly and nice. Front desk when I checked out (different person) was very snobbish like he was at the Four Seasons or something of that nature. But all n all it was a good stay. I did have room service (breakfast) have had much better at other hotels. But as I mentioned, all n all it was a good stay, not sure I would think that if did not have the Jr Suite.... lots and lots of room

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled on business
1  Thank formerbelle
Reviewed 22 March 2008

SItting in this hotel right now! Free wireless, so close to all of the downtown nightlife and clubs. We pulled in to the hotel parking garage ($12 self park fee) around midnight and you could hear the music blasting on the streets and people were everywhere. We were worried that we wouldn't get any sleep, but the hotel is very well insulated and sound proof. Everything about this hotel from the service (room service arrived promptly and great food), to the bedding (down pillows, nice comforters) very roomy king size rooms. The only thing I didn't like is the sink isn't in the bathroom and there is no room to put your toiletries.
All in all, great hotel, great location, very quiet and comfortable room.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank milljol
Reviewed 22 March 2008

I'm in Charlotte for business and the Holiday Inn is an excellent choice if you are working downtown. Great staff, nice decor, and perfect location; makes you think of a Marriott, not a Holiday Inn. This is a flagship, however, so they've really done a nice job.

The good:
* Updated, rooms are nice, location, staff, restaurant onsite is convenient, has great hours and is very good.

The bad:
* Bed is average comfortable, bathroom sink is modern (which I liked) but not a lot of room around it for your toiletries.

Comparatively speaking, the good waaay outweighs the bad.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled on business
1  Thank cyenti
Reviewed 15 March 2008

I traveled to Charlotte for a conference that was held at the hotel. My co-worker and I arrived at the hotel that evening. Check in was typical, but the desk clerk gave me the the directions and information about the hotel at a very fast rate. After we parked in the garage for $12 per night, we took the elevator up to our room....or so we thought. The elevator in the parking garage only took you to the different levels of the parking garage. After being informed of this information by others riding the elevator and oh yeah probably by the clerk at check in who talked entirely too fast and too soft to comprehend, we walked all the way around the hotel until we made it back to the front entrance. My co-worker and I even passed by a bar with plenty of "happy" people hanging out outside as we carried our luggage through the crowd. Talk about embarrasing.

The remodeled decor of the hotel was nice, but not very functional. I did not like the fact that after using the bathroom I had to open the bathroom door in order to use the sink. I also did not like the fact that there was no fan in the bathroom after a hot shower and there was only one trash can in the room, which was located in the steamy bathroom. The overall room was average and we both slept okay.

We ate at Cafe Sienna our last day there only because it was raining and we didn't have an umbrella. The menu seemed decent, but way too pricey for the portions. The waiters were very nice though, the soups were tasty and not too expensive.

At check out we were told that we didn't need anything else because all charges had been taken care of, well no one bothered to tell the agitated ticket collector at the exit. When we told her we did not have a ticket, she just went off. She had a very bad attitude towards us for no reason. My co-worker had to return to the front desk and get a validated ticket before she would let us out or we would have had to pay an extra $15. The location was very good (directly beside Bobcats Arena), but unfortunately that is about the only thing good I have to say about this hotel. Holiday Inn disappointed me and my co-worker.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled on business
1  Thank bluangeldan
Reviewed 25 February 2008

I stayed at this hotel the weekend of February 23rd. Upon arrival I was pleasantly surpised at the lobby decor. It's got nice updated furniture that has a funky feel! The front desk agent was not overly friendly. When I asked him if there was a basketball game that evening he said "I don't know" - then I asked about things to do and he said "i don't know" - hmmm....you would have thought he could suggest something to do being that he works in the area?
We received a cityview room located on the 8th floor. The room had been recently been renovated and is done up in neutral colors. The bed was large with lots of pillows. Everything was clean. Only problem we had was the tub didn't drain the water very fast so you took a shower while standing in water.
Also the vanity sink is neat but takes up TOO MUCH room.

The restaurant at the hotel was nice. We only ate breakfast there and had the buffet. Food variety was good however some pastries were hard - probably from sitting out all morning.

If you are looking for things to do in the uptown area there really isn't a whole lot. There are plenty of places to eat and drink but as far as activites they aren't within walking distance. We were there a weekend when there were no games going on.
They do have a train system that took us to different stops. The cost was $2.60 per person round-trip. There is an entertainment place called Jillian's along the route!

All in all it was a nice hotel and an o.k. area.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled with friends