“In the heart of the city”

Holiday Inn Charlotte - Center City
Ranked #45 of 178 Hotels in Charlotte
Connecticut
“In the heart of the city”
Reviewed 2 March 2009

This is a hotel far above what you might expect of a Holiday Inn - not only is the location at the heart of the city unbeatable (great restaurants and clubs; a block to the arena, 15 minute walk to the stadium), the hotel is beautiful - modern and trendy (not your Daddy's Holiday Inn!). Had a business meeting in a suite - unbelievable service and attention to detail. My room was all new, upscale bedding and bath, flat panel - everything you might expect at a hotel for $50-100 more... And the restaurant is great - not just for a hotel, but great standing on its own.

• Stayed December 2008, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
Port Orange
Reviewed 19 February 2009

I was at a ABA Convention, it was an awesome location and the staff was very accomodating.

• Stayed January 2009, travelled on business
Orlando, FL
Reviewed 29 January 2009

On a business trip to Charlotte my coworkers and I booked rooms at the Holiday Inn with a bit of trepidation. Holiday Inn doesn't exactly have the greatest reputation, especially for business travel, but this one in particular had decent reviews on Trip Advisor and is situated in a perfect uptown location.

I ended up being pleasantly surprised with the hotel. It is easy to see that they have spent time and money remodeling both the common areas as well as the individual rooms. The style throughout the hotel is very modern. The rooms were very well appointed and comfortable. The staff was extremely pleasant and the front desk was well staffed so that there was almost no wait any time I stopped by to ask a question.

I definitely recommend the Holiday Inn Center City for travelers in the Charlotte area.

• Stayed January 2009, travelled on business
Morgantown, West Virginia
Reviewed 29 December 2008

Very Nice Place! Easy access to everything. Staff was very nice to us especially Valet & Bellhops.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — High Prices
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled with family
Fayetteville
Reviewed 15 December 2008

The hotel does not mark their parking deck very well so we had to call to verify which one to park in. There are no signs until you are in the parking deck. The staff was not very friendly when we checked in.

Once we got back from dinner and went to our room at 10pm it sounded like a dance club. We called the front desk and where told it was from across the street. It was obvious that it was not. One floor down the hotel had rooms hosting holiday parties.

After a visit to the front desk we were given another room, but it had two beds. Once there the drink machines were broken on that floor and the next. It took three floors just to buy a drink! Three times that night we were awoken by loud drunks in the hallway.

Stayed December 2008
1 Thank cnherring
Connellys Springs, North Carolina
Reviewed 20 October 2008

We stayed at the Holiday Inn Center City for (1) Night October 18th. The hotel is very nice and clean. We had a Spacious King Suite. The only complait we had is parking was $12 if you self parked or $16 for Valet parking, I think that is a little much for what the hotel costs anyways. We decided to self park since Valet was backed up out in the main road and after we self parked we found out the Elevator was broken in the parking deck so we had to walk down the parking deck to the front of the hotel, carrying all our bags. Not a easy thing to do! All in All hotel was very nice, but wouldn't pay that much to stay again.

• Liked — Great Location
  • Disliked — Parking Situation
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
Fayetteville,NC
Reviewed 11 August 2008

I went to Center City HI because my husband and I needed to get away and we really had never been to Charlotte downtown. Sure everyone's been to Carowinds, but never downtown. I was really looking forward to seeing their "art scene".

When we got there, the clerk wasn't very interested in giving us the "above and beyond" service I was looking for, but I figured it had to do with the steep discount I got for the room since I only paid 50 for it, and their rates are well over a 100. She was probably being smug thinking we were getting over. I just use my resources. :P Nevertheless check in went smoothly. I live in a city were parking never costs unless you're there too long and you get a parking ticket so the 12 dollars just to park the car was astonishing for me. I figured that should be included in the rate, not seperate. But since they're sharing a parking deck with other businesses and people not staying at the HI it probably helps with accounting at the end of the day. And I was warned about it before hand.

We had no problems with the garage, even the valet, and the people working in the garage reminded us to get our ticket validated at the front desk before we leave. The valet was very nice, and even offered to hold our bags while we parked, he was very helpful. I guess because he couldn't see our rate. :)

The desk clerk did speak rather fast, like I read another reviewer say. And she explained the elevator in the parking garage and validated our ticket on check in, but she didn't tell us that if you're staying on a floor higher than 9 you have to insert your key card in the slot on the elevator. We spent like 10 minutes pushing buttons wondering why we couldn't get to our floor. We gave up, got off at the 9th floor and hoofed it up the stairs to the 10th floor. I'm not sure if this is because we're Priority Club members and those are special floors, thats why we have to have a key to get to it, but I would have figured she would have told us that before we spent 10 minutes switching elevators thinking that maybe its broken, or this one doesn't go that high. And the stairwell was not very sanitary. :(

All of our drama was however washed away when we got to the room. Wonderful. All white linens, which were clean and so soft, I slept like a baby. I loved the sink, and the granite counter. No microwave or fridge so all of the snacks I was carrying on the road had to be eaten that night. The view was amazing.

We decided to go to this rooftop pool, knowing it closes soon we weren't planning on getting in, just looking at what they had for future visits. When we opened the door to the roof we were greeted, well grunted at by the security guard who muttered, "Pool's closed" I told him I know, I just want to look not swim. Obviously since we did not have on swim gear. Thusly he became more irritated I suppose at our presence and kept grunting, "Its closed." until we were forced off of the roof and he locked the door behind us. Another guest by the elevator explained that the whole roof closes, not just the pool. I was kind of miffed that this guard couldn't have just said that instead of pushing us out like that. Like we were trouble makers.

The location was wonderful, we walked to the IMAX to see "The Dark Knight" the next afternoon, it was less than a block away. We walked to the mint museum and for everything else the LYNX train was right there to ride, and we rode that just because there's nothing like that at home. Downtown was wonderful, we couldn't take it all in, but the location was great, we will go back. A little less than wonderful customer service, but the rooms were wonderful and the location was great, we never moved our car until we left and we didn't miss out on anything. Since we know how it works we'll keep coming back.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Staff
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple