“Horrific” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #90 of 176 Hotels in Charlotte
Hartland, Vermont
“Horrific”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2013

We were on a road trip, so made our hotel reservation after we stopped at the near-by Northlake Mall.

We schlepped our bags up to our room -- down a corridor that reminded me of the now-departed Intourist Hotel in Moscow. Our room was hot, and smelled damp with an undertone of vomit and stale beer. The fan was running so it's possible that the carpet had recently been shampooed and the fan left to run to dry out the room.

The WiFi didn't work -- not visible on my laptop or either of our iPhones. I called the "help" number in the room, but the gentleman (at some remote location) wasn't able to assist. As I needed WiFi for business purposes, and as the room was pretty grotty, we decided to check right out.

The poor beleaguered lady at the front desk was dealing with another complaint when we got there. She said there was another Marriott hotel near-by (the Comfort Inn) and I asked her to please call it and see if it had a room available. She said she had to call her manager first, but I persuaded her that dealing with her off-site manager could wait. We headed over to the Comfort Inn (not a Marriott hotel, by the way) and paid $40 less for a much better room. Where the WiFi worked, and that didn't smell like last night's party.

I don't know when we'll next be in Charlotte/Northfield, but we definitely won't be back to this Fairfield Inn. Shame on management for leaving the poor lady alone at the front desk with no on-site support.

Room Tip: Chose one elsewhere.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2013

Stayed at this hotel for the first time and after a long drive we were happy to get here. Once in the room we noticed it was a little "damp" shall we say. Turned the AC down a little, seemed to help??? While looking out the window we did notice that there was MOLD on the curtins, not a very pretty site. Bathroom needed a littleupdating as well, all and all O.K. place to stay.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
Woodbridge, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2013

Stayed here 2 nights and staff was very friendly with very nice outdoor swimming pool. Only real complaints were that the breakfast area was tight and selection was minimal while room had a strong disinfecting smell. Not much counter space in bathroom either. Right off 77 and close to both Birkdale Village along with Northlake shopping mall nearby. Some faults but fair given below average price paid.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Sleep Quality
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank hotelforfun
New Jersey
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2013

In researching our trip to the Charlotte area to go to the US National Whitewater Center, we found that the Fairfield Inn (on the Whitewater site) was a partner hotel with the center. On the center's website they offered an $84/night rate. I called the hotel to make a reservation and the woman I spoke with had no idea what I was talking about. So I asked her if she was in Charlotte (thinking I had gotten a centralized reservation system). She said she was but had never heard of the Whitewater Center. She put me on hold for at least 5 minutes to "check into" it. When she returned she told me that she had gone on their website and said that I could get the $84/night reservation. But, I had to show proof upon check in that I was indeed going to the Whitewater Center- a receipt. I explained to her that we were driving from NJ (over 9 hours) and that we would be going to the Center the next morning after check in. Once we returned from the Center, I would provide proof that we were there and stay for a second night. She put me on hold again. When she came back she told me that I could pre purchase my tickets, show them at check in and get the special rate. I explained to her that I was not going to pre purchase tickets because they were nonrefundable in the event of bad weather. She did not appear to understand what I was telling her- although she was very polite. As a result, we booked somewhere else.
It seems to me that a hotel employee should know about "partner hotel" arrangements. For her to have to look it up on a website to confirm it really baffled me.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
GM_Brenda, General Manager at Fairfield Inn Charlotte Northlake, responded to this review, 20 August 2013
Dear Traveler,
Thank you for informing us about your recent experience with our hotel. I apologize that your experience was the way as you explained it. This is coming as surprising news to me, we are indeed the partner hotel for the center, and have had many. many guest stay with us from out of town to go to the center this year. Our staff is very aware of the partnership and we have never asked anyone for any type of receipt or information showing us they went to the center in order to get the rate. I find this extremely strange that our front desk would ask you to provide this type of information. It would be a great benefit if you would please reach out to me on the property so I could get some additional information from you to make sure this does not happen to anyone else. Over this year we have worked with hundreds of guests like yourself taking advantage of our partnership rate, and work very hard to make sure that we maintain our partnership with the center. Our entire front desk has been trained on the partnership, rates and packages, and therefore I am just extremely surprised that this happened was the experience you had. I would greatly appreciate speaking with you to get some more details about your call. I will also assure you that I will be meeting with each of my front desk staff again individually to explain your comments and work towards making sure this does not happen again. As I mentioned, we are indeed the hotel partner this year, and take the relationship extremely seriously, the center is a great asset in the community and we understand the value of our relationship, so your information is not something that I will take lightly. Please call me at the hotel or contact me via email at your earliest convenience.
Email: ffi.clthb.gm@marriott.com
Baltimore, MD
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2013

Great location and nice hotel. Warm, intimate lobby area and very nice rooms. Breakfast was good and had a nice selection. Very close to the interstate so easy to hop on to get anywhere in the Charlotte area. Also close to restaurants, shops and malls.

Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
GM_Brenda, General Manager at Fairfield Inn Charlotte Northlake, responded to this review, 9 August 2013
Thank you for sharing your thoughts on your recent stay with us! We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your breakfast and our proximity to all that Charlotte has to offer. We look forward to the opportunity to have you with us the next time you are in Charlotte. If you come back in the winter time, the lobby fireplace is usually going, and it helps add to that warm feeling! We’ll see you soon.
Mooresville, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2013

Have gone to some marketing events at this hotel and it was excellent. Melissa does a great job organizing and felt really at home here. The hotel is clean and everyone very friendly. I will be attending events in the future here and would definitely consider for future dates. I am local and would love a mini vacation here right in town.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
GM_Brenda, General Manager at Fairfield Inn Charlotte Northlake, responded to this review, 16 August 2013
Thank you so much for your kind words about our hotel and meeting space! Our Sales person does a great job and we love to hear that you felt right at home at our hotel. We can't wait to see you at a future event, and any time you want a mini vacation here in Charlotte, you know where to find us!
Charlotte, North Carolina, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2013

Recently I conducted a small workshop at this location and I was very satisfied with the hotel. The location is great and an easy access from the highway. The hotel staff was very friendly. The breakfast there was refreshing. I was also please with the prompt assistance of the staff. They were very attentive to accommodating any request to make my workshop a success. My guest and I felt welcomed from our entry to our departure. I look forward to hosting other workshops here and I recommend this facilities to others.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
It’s so great to hear that your workshop was a success! Our location is very easy to get to from Charlotte, the University area and the Lake Norman area as well, so we are happy that it was easy for all your guests to get to us! I also appreciate that you shared that your guests felt welcomed while they were at the hotel attending your event. We truly look forward to your hosting future workshops with us!
Brenda, GM
Also consider these accommodations in or near Charlotte
The Holiday Inn Express & Suites Charlotte North
Comfort Suites Charlotte Northlake
Hilton Garden Inn Charlotte North
Drury Inn & Suites Charlotte Northlake
Sleep Inn North Lake
Sleep Inn North Lake
#97 of 176 in Charlotte
BEST WESTERN Plus Huntersville Inn & Suites Near Lake Norman

Been to Fairfield Inn Charlotte Northlake? Share your experiences!