“Smoking Room for a non-smoking family”

Extended Stay America - Charlotte - Tyvola Rd.
Ranked #128 of 177 Hotels in Charlotte
Timberlake, North Carolina
“Smoking Room for a non-smoking family”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2014

Pros- decent rate and it has a small kitchenette. You have a roof over your head and a warm shower + granola/cereal bars for breakfast.

Cons- Top floor has a STRONG smoke odor and allows smoking on this floor. We were not aware. Kids kept saying how the odor bothered them. We had just left Great Wolf for the 2nd day and stayed past 8. This caused us to check in later. To our dismay only 3 single beds rooms were left...on the smoking floor. 1 kids in floor and the other in the chair to sleep. I could not sleep for whatever reason.

You will get a call at 10:45 asking if you plan to stay another night although checkout is at 11.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Laurie L

Couples
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Seville
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2013

I stayed at this hotel for 5 nights. I wish I had not pre-payed. It has a very old feel to it. Very cheap. The construction is cheap, and it shows because you can hear EVERYTHING in the hotel. I didn't get a good nights sleep! I could continually hear the person above me, as well as every door being opened and closed in the hallway. This is shotty construction. It just feels very very basic and cheap. I usually stay in basic hotels, but this was beyond basic. Red Roof has updated all their rooms and in my opinion offers much better value for the money. I WISH I had stayed in my usual Red Roof. Never again! As well, this was the second time on my trip that I stayed at an Extended Stay. Both places were about the same. I will NEVER book with this brand again. Lesson learned!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank nepo23
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Charlotte - Tyvola Rd., responded to this review, 12 November 2013
Thank you for your recent review of your stay. I was disheartened to read that your recent stay with us was an unpleasant one. Please accept our apologies. As this hotel’s manager, I can assure you that I have shared your valued opinion with our corporate office to ensure your experience is not repeated.

I really appreciate you bringing this to our attention. If you would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact me at ctr@extendedstay.com. I do hope that you will return to our hotel, or any other Extended Stay Hotels location in the future.
Charlotte
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2013

I booked a week's stay at this location due to renovations being made at my home, and I was very pleased. The location is close to the highway which made accessibility to destinations available. This particular area is somewhat "dry" and hidden, but the quiet comfort and home-like feel of the hotel made up for the surroundings.

I was able to get a room on the first floor as requested and was very pleased with the ambiance of my room -- decor, color, size, flat screen TV, closet and drawer space for my cloths, and a nice sized bathroom. Also, this location has hardwood floors in the rooms, which also provided the room with a realistic feel of home. Further, the kitchenette area was "just right" for my stay although it would have been an added bonus to have an oven to go along with the countertop burners so that I didn't have to be limited in preparing meals. Hot coffee and to-go continental breakfast was also on hand for my leave out for work every morning. Another important note is that the parking lot is well lit and there are security cameras that cover the hotel area.

I will point out that I was a bit disappointed in the utensil drawer of the kitchenette, as I saw that there was a bit of dirt and hair in the drawer. I actually had to thoroughly sanitize the drawer and rewash the utensils.

I travel quite often, and have booked reservations with other Extended Stay locations including those in larger cities, but unfortunately I have not been able to find another location that compares to this one. I don't know if the Extended Stay chain is going through a renovation period at this time, but it would be in the best interest of the company to follow the Tyvola Rd. model for ALL of their locations. I really hope that a member of Corporate see this review and understands the magnitude that such a change to all locations would make because it has been extremely disappointing to be under the impression that I am going to have the same experience as I did at Tyvola Rd., only to be let down. More than an update of the logo and signage is needed.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank KJG0813
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Charlotte - Tyvola Rd., responded to this review, 4 November 2013
I want to thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay. We appreciate you letting us know that the kitchen utensils were unclean. This is unacceptable and will be brought to our team's attention. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed our overall accommodations including our fully-equipped kitchen. Also, I am glad that our rooms provided you with a home away from home experience.

Thank you again for your kind words. The staff and I would love to provide you with another comfortable stay in the future. If you have any additional feedback, we would love to hear it. Please contact us directly at ctr@extendedstay.com.
Savannah
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2013

I book for our youth soccer team - requested 16 rooms. Was interested in the kitchen and price, as we were limited by the tournament on hotel choices. Parents found it difficult getting their block rooms reserved and difficult checking in. Received feedback from parents that arrived later in evening that TV seemed much more important than assisting. 3 parents left to go to other hotels as they were given rooms on the smoking floor (youth soccer team, really?). They did not receive any complaint about returning their money which was nice. No bathroom in lobby so after a long trip this was an inconvenience to wait to check in so they could use the bathroom in the room. Kitchen somewhat stocked but no paper towels, so sorry about the mess in the microwave. No shampoo or other standard items in the room but desk did have plenty if needed. Beds extremely hard - some of the players complained about being stiff. Continental breakfast more limited than most places.

Room Tip: If you are not a smoker, be sure to avoid 3rd floor.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Charlotte - Tyvola Rd., responded to this review, 6 September 2013
Trish - Your review for our hotel was recently brought to my attention. I apologize that you were given some smoking and non-smoking rooms. While we do try to accommodate all of our guests requests, we cannot always do so. Still, I will work with the staff to better our reservation policies so that this is not an issue moving forward. As well, I am sorry the bed in your room was uncomfortable. Please know, our bedding is chosen based on guests feedback. As for the paper towels in the kitchen, it is not an amenity we offer in the room; however, the front desk has them available for you upon request.

The staff and I appreciate your comments, as it will only help us to improve. Please feel free to contact me directly, at ctr@extendedstay.com, with any additional comments or questions. It would be our pleasure to have you stay with us again in the future to show you our positive strides taken to enhance your experience with us.
Brooklyn, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2013

Front desk was friendly (as were cleaning staff), but not knowledgeable about area or able to answer questions about nearby eateries, etc...Lobby needs to be much cleaner, as does elevator and hallways. While I understand that people cook in the kitchenettes, there was constant foul smell throughout hotel. Laundry room was disgusting. Machines old and run down and dirty (lint drawer in dryers were filthy) and floor in laundry room filthy. Room was surface clean, acceptable. Kitchenette subpar. For $50 a night, we should have known better. Did not see a manager one time the entire week we stayed and this is the problem. If the rooms were really like those portrayed on the commercials, place would be great. Need to pay more attention to maintenance and cleanliness.

• Stayed August 2013
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Charlotte - Tyvola Rd., responded to this review, 20 August 2013
I received a copy of your review, and wanted to take a moment to personally respond. Please accept our most sincere apologies for the state of our guest laundry room and elevator, please know we are very grateful for your comments and the issues you have described will be addressed personally with my staff to make sure your experience is not repeated. Our team is committed to satisfying our guests, so we are very thankful for your feedback. Please feel free to contact me directly, at ctr@extendedstay.com, with any additional comments or questions. It would be our pleasure to have you stay with us again in the future to show you our positive strides taken to enhance your experience with us.
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2013

It is perfect fit for my needs. I need not to worry about my preparation. You can come with a bag and stay for a week with no worry. Hotel provides free shuttle facility to Office and They drop you back to Hotel. Every day there is a trip to Walmart at 6:30 PM. Staff is very friendly and cooperative.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Hari Kumar K
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Charlotte - Tyvola Rd., responded to this review, 12 July 2013
Hari - Thank you so much for posting a review of our property. I am proud of our team for taking such great care of our guests. As well, I am glad that you liked our free shuttle and our convenient location.

We look forward to hosting you again in the future.
Plymouth, New Hampshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2013

We stayed for one night on our journey up the east coast. Searching for available rooms in the Charlotte area, we were referred to Stay America by another local chain. We took a room with two doubke beds as the only other option available was a twin room. They are a pet friendly property. The room was clean and equipped with a kitchenette area, which would be very convenient for longer stays. We found the bed to be very hard with yellowed linens, and were further annoyed by the AC unit blowing directly at our heads all night.
The "grab nd go" breakfast was limited in selections but better than nothing. I would expect that those using the property for longer visits woul make use of the kitchen to prepare a more substantial breakfast.
Staff was very pleasant snd helpful.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family