“Would definitely stay here again!”

Drury Inn & Suites Charlotte University Place
Ranked #23 of 178 Hotels in Charlotte
Edenton, North Carolina
“Would definitely stay here again!”
Reviewed 1 August 2011

I was impressed from the moment I made the reservation. The hotel was very clean and friendly. The "kick-back" happy hour was delightful! Food and mixed drinks, beer and wine were a welcome surprise,as I don't see that in any hotel I've stayed at. The indoor/outdoor pool was neat! Never saw anything like it! It was also very enjoyable! Beds were very comfortable as well. Breakfast was great; eggs, sausage, doughnuts, bagels, toast and biscuits with gravy. I would definitely stay at this hotel again if it were in the area of my destination. I used to stick with Marriott's and Hampton's, now this hotel is at the top of that list! They need to branch out with more locations. I don't usually recommend hotels very much, but this is a must-see and MUST-STAY!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank slats7nc

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Sydney
Reviewed 25 July 2011

Could Drury Inn at University Place in Charlotte be the best hotel in the world?
Maybe. It's the only establishment I've ever been in around the world where the sanitation grade is 100% (certified by the state) and has remained so. The staff are uniformly helpful even when sorting out problems. They remembered our names and our preferences. They were just nice southern people.
We've stayed at some of the flashier, expensive, big name hotels around the world but this place is one of our favourites.
Excellent value. No wonder they win so many awards!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Duff W
Preston, England
Reviewed 19 July 2011

We stayed here for a night during a two week tour of the south eastern states. We picked it after reading Tripadvisor reviews and were not disappointed. The 5:30 kick back with complimentary food and drinks in the lobby was so good that we ended up not needing to go out to eat. There was also free popcorn and soft drinks served until 10:30 so we saved yet more on snacks later in the evening - a big positive when on a budget.
Our room was comfortable and the pool welcome in the hot weather.
This chain is definitely great value for money and I already have another booked for later in our tour.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
Hilton Head Island
Reviewed 28 June 2011

Was in town for a single night, checked in and was greeted by a VERY friendly and courteous person at the front desk. Check in was quick and easy. Room was exactly as expected, clean, and a comfortable temperature.

I didn't visit the free food buffet that evening so can't comment on that. But there is a great selection of restaurants right across the street and I had a nice meal later that evening (a plus if you are a traveller like me that needs to grab a decent dinner at 10PM). Didn't use the pool but it looked to be well kept. Was only in the lobby for a few minutes but everything seemed good.

Free WiFi worked right away. I was in the furthest room opposite end of the building from the front desk, and no signal problems at all. Good internet speed. WiFi is important as I depend on internet access for business, and it was useful. Also, AT&T 3G signal was good.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
Kabul, Afghanistan
Reviewed 18 June 2011

Based on the positive reviews, we had high expectations about the hotel. It was nice to have free internet, telephone calls, breakfast, and hospitality hour. However, the 2 room suite was very small for our family of 5 (2 adults and 3 children). The rooms were also out-dated. We also had problems with the TV not working in the bedroom. In my opinion, the freebies offered by the hotel in no way compensate for the small and sub-standard rooms.
Upon arrival, the staff appeared to be very friendly and accommodating but when we had a problem/request, I was very disappointed in the manner in which it was handled by the manager. We were advised on two separate occassions by the front desk staff that we would be moved to more comfortable (bigger) room only later to have a problem having what was originally told to us honored by the manager. As a result, we choose to move to another hotel because the difficulty that we encountered in having the hotel honor a request that they had already agreed. Despite the manager later agreeing to honor the request, the damage was already done. As mentioned, the freebies at this hotel are a nice perk but they were not worth the hassle or the uncomfortable room, so beware!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank kb_Bamako
San Diego, California
Reviewed 13 June 2011

I just returned from a stay here with my boyfriend, we were in town for a wedding the Drury was great! Even at the wedding people were talking about how good the hotel was. Everyday from 5:30-7:00 they have a hosted bar and snack food (hot dogs, nachos, etc.). Upon arrival we received a card for 3 free alcoholic drinks during the happy hour deal. They also have free popcorn and sodas from 3PM-10PM and free breakfast which had waffles, french toast, sausage, eggs, juice, bagels, yogurt and probably more I'm forgetting. The staff was super nice, I called and they gave me directions from the airport and also when we asked for dining recommendations they gave us a coupon for a nearby restaurant. We were part of a group deal so we paid $80/night which was amazing considering we had 3 free meals. AND they also have free WiFi. The rooms are a little dated but that doesn't really matter to me. The rooms do have flatscreens, free HBO, microwaves and mini-fridges. I would definitely recommend this to anyone staying in the area.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
Boone, NC
Reviewed 13 June 2011

Very friendly and helpful staff. Nice rooms and good location. I would stay here again.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled on business