“Great Value, Good Location”

Drury Inn & Suites Charlotte University Place
Ranked #25 of 178 Hotels in Charlotte
Apex, North Carolina
“Great Value, Good Location”
Reviewed 22 August 2012

This is often called the University location because of its proximity to UNCC. Also near the NASCAR speedway, IKEA and a bunch of other stuff. Speesway area is full of shopping and restaurants - Great location. Hotel area is very busy and surroundings a little dated, but given the high hotel traffic volume, that is not surprising. Rooms very nice, and the breakfast is great, only surpassed by the evening 'kickback'. Sufficient that if you don't feel like going out to eat, you can call this dinner. Heavy hors d'oeuvres (really good!), light food. Well done, so much so that it gets really busy during the kickback period. Staff is great and ready to jump at the slightest request.

Room Tip: Higher floors and side away from pool quieter as it is not unusual for a lot of families to be stayi...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
New York City, New York
Reviewed 3 August 2012

I stayed at this hotel and came home covered in bed bug bites. I called the hotel and spoke with management. They said they would have an 'independent' exterminator come out to inspect the room I stayed in. What a surprise (not) when they had their legal department call me to inform me that they do not have bedbugs. They basically told me I got them at another hotel/plane/train etc. As I came home from directly the trip and did not go elsewhere, that is impossible. I did get a Dr. confirmation of the bedbugs and had to undergo the awful treatment. Too much CYA IMO. They handled it poorly. Please do your research - as any reputable exterminator will tell you, bedbugs are EXTREMELY difficult to detect - frequently the only way you know you have them is because you were bitten. The check-in staff were very friendly.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank Nonya_BW
DruryHotels, General Manager at Drury Inn & Suites Charlotte University Place, responded to this review, 10 August 2012
Thank you for your feedback. Bed bugs are a concern, not only for the hotel industry, but for hospitals, dorms, retail stores, movie theatres and other establishments. We continually review our procedures and the most recent recommendations by experts on these types of issues. Precautions include a national contract with an outside exterminating company who conducts regular inspections and by our internal staff. Our team is educated on the latest information, what to search for and how to immediately treat any pest problem once discovered. If bed bugs are reported to us, we immediately take the room out of service and call in a professional exterminator to check the room and treat it if necessary.

In your case, we did have that outside exterminating company inspect the rooms and no evidence of bed bugs have been found. We understand that you spoke with someone from our insurance company who verified the report from the exterminator and a copy of that report has been sent to you.
Fayetteville, North Carolina
Reviewed 2 August 2012

This is a great hotel that I highly recommend. Our church's children's chrisitan education department recently visited and toured the Charlotte area. It was centrally located for all our needs. Restaurants were within walking distance as well as retail shopping. The staff was very professional, courteous and helpful. A big plus was that the hotel provides breakfast, as well as an evening hot bar which was very tasty to the adults and the kids. The indoor and outdoor pools were well used by our youth. The hotel was very clean and the beds were very comfortable.

I love the Drury Inn & Suites in North Charlotte. If ever in the area, I will definitely stayed at Drury Inn.

Room Tip: Excellent overall!
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Wilmington, North Carolina
Reviewed 30 July 2012

I have stayed in a lot of hotels and the hospitality offered at this Drury Inn is second to none. Downright amazing. I arrived at the hotel 3.5 hours before check in time and was a little worried about how I was going to waste my time until 3pm. I was warmly greeted at the front desk by the manager (couldn't see her name tag) and Tangie. I was all prepared to go into a long explanation that went something like "I know I'm really early, but see, I was dropped off here by my daughter who is headed to a concert, so I don't even have a car to go explore the city and I was wondering if....." But all I had to say was "I know I'm really early" and Tangie said "we have a room ready for you Ma'am", with a smile on her face. She then explained to me that there were free sodas and popcorn until 10pm, free snacks and hot food at 5:30pm and free breakfast starting at 7am. Once I got to my room, I noticed that while the room itself wasn't modern and sleek, it was very clean and free from wear and tear. The television was a flat panel, HDTV and there is a desk with a comfortable chair and free wifi and these things aren't standard in every hotel chain...even some of the big ones. The bed was stocked with pillows and was tested (cat nap) and deemed very comfortable. The bathroom and vanity area were spotless and fully stocked with the necessities. Under the television cabinet was a microwave and a fridge....and next to the television was a coffee maker (hallelujah!) with plenty of fixin's. Oh, and the best part is, there is a thermostat on the wall...so no fussing with the typcial - room is too hot and now it's too cold - that you get when you have to adjust the air conditioning unit itself. The "5:30 Kick Back" was a meal in itself complete with baked potatoes, salad, hot dogs with chili, chicken strips, a nacho bar, carrots and celery sticks, coffee, soda, chips and pretzels. There was also beer and wine available (free with tickets recieved at check in). While I was eating, the same manager from earlier (forgot to look for name tag and I am so disappointed because she was wonderful) asked how my day was and if I was finding everything okay. I am still in this hotel as I write this review....but I couldn't wait to post. I have stayed in nicer looking hotels, but none have been cleaner or more welcoming. This is truly southern hospitality at its finest and I commend the staff of Drury Inn & Suites Charlotte North for my exceptional experience and for earning my return business every time I'm in the Charlotte area from here on out.

Room Tip: Room 432 is up high and at the end of the hall...its very quiet and I slept well, even in the aftern...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
NC
Reviewed 22 July 2012

I love love LOVE the Drury Inn's. This is the second Drury we have stayed at in Charlotte, and I love this place. The North Charlotte Drury is not as nice and clean and fabulous as the Northlake Charlotte Drury, but still worth the money. The two double bed rooms are not as nice as the King room that we stayed in the last time, but the all around experience was just as good. I have to say the North facility is a little dingier, not as clean and the rooms not as big, but the staff was more friendly and polite at the North facility. The drinks and meals (hot dogs, nacho bar, salads for dinner; sausage, eggs, french toast, cereal, yogurt, donuts, danishes, waffles, biscuits and gravy, etc. for breakfast) are amazing and delicious and actually leave you feeling as though you overate. The assistant manager takes the time to come say hello to every guest, welcome them to the hotel, ask about their stay, encourage them to seek the front desk for anything they need, etc. The $115 for the room is not excessive considering you're getting two free meals and drinks and the rooms are great! The only downside was the excessive water on the floor from about 30 kids going in and out of the pool nonstop and then walking around the hotel dripping wet. Can't blame the hotel for that since the kids showed absolutely no responsibility about cleaning up after themselves, leaving towels and water EVERYWHERE, but again, it was the only downside to our stay. Will definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: The AC is temp controlled on the wall and makes the room temp stay consistent and we LOVE that! Quie...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
Virginia
Reviewed 12 July 2012

We stayed a Friday night at this hotel while traveling through the Charlotte area. I chose this hotel based on the convenient location, competitive price, and because of tripadvisor.com reviews.

The hotel was easy enough to find, being just off I-85 exit 45A. Traffic on I-85 was very heavy, so it was a welcome relief to find the hotel so easily accessible. Upon arrival, there was ample free parking in front of the hotel entrance. I was greeted by a friendly cheerful young lady, and promptly checked-in. She informed me about the “Kickback” going on in the hotel lobby during the evening, which was free hot food including hot dogs, baked potatoes, nacho bar and other items. There was also a soda drink dispenser for free drinks and a popcorn machine. She also gave me a card that could be used for 3 free drinks from the hotel bar.

There were several restaurants within walking distance of the hotel, including a TGI Fridays in the same parking lot as the hotel. After the free “Kickback” in the hotel lobby, we didn’t need another meal.

The room was typical hotel size, smaller than expected, but still ok. We had a double bed room, but I was surprised that the beds were standard size and not queens. The beds and pillows were comfortable. The entire room was clean. There were plenty of towels in the bathroom. I liked how the sink & vanity area were separated from the toilet shower area. That made it simple when multiple people need to shower and get ready. There was free wireless internet available in the room, and a computer & printer available in the lobby area. There was only one elevator, and it was always busy. While we were there, a bus full of baseball players checked in. They were noisy in the hallway as they wanted to hang out in the hallway instead of their own rooms. I had a long day of driving and was ready for an early night. Just as I laid down to go to sleep, the phone rang. It was the front desk of the hotel asking me how my stay was going. I told them that the hotel was fine, but that the noise in the hallway was annoying. She said she would take care of it. A few minutes later everything was quiet for the rest of the night.

The free breakfast was great, and included fresh scrambled eggs & biscuits, along with many other typical breakfast items. As we were eating, the hotel manager came around to chat with us about our stay. He was friendly, and came back around to pick up our empty plates.

Check-out was simple and fast, as I had basically already been checked-out with a receipt slid under my door early that morning. There was a drop box in the lobby and in the parking lot for the door card keys.

I’ve stayed at many hotels up and down the east coast, and I would rank this one right at the top of the list. The friendliness of the staff, along with the perks the hotel offers, make this a welcome surprise. I’m sure I’ll stay here on my next trip through the Charlotte area, and if the same experience continues, then I’ll be staying here on every trip.

Room Tip: Double Beds are Standard size instead of Queen.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank 3gw
Olympia, Washington
Reviewed 5 July 2012

When we arrived at this Drury, the assistant general manager of the hotel was at the check-in desk assisting a customer with a lost phone. She quickly & happily checked us into our room, welcoming us not only to the hotel but to the city & state. Our room was large, clean, and comfortable. The typical Drury amenities, including popcorn & soft drinks available starting at 3 PM were all in place. The free kickback food/drinks were also standard Drury fare, as was breakfast the following morning. This Drury also had a very nice lobby area & glass-enclosed elevator, more in line with the high-end Drury hotels. All around we enjoyed our stay at this hotel.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple