“Hotel offers conveniences at a good price”

Drury Inn & Suites Charlotte University Place
Ranked #25 of 178 Hotels in Charlotte
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Hotel offers conveniences at a good price”
Reviewed 17 October 2013

This Drury has the budget-conscious business and family traveler in mind. Check-in and out were immediate and service was friendly. The room was very clean although would benefit from an update - the dark carpeting, dark furniture and brick wall make for a dreary initial impression. Beds were comfortable and the hotel offers many conveniences for those on a quick business trip: free, fast wifi, a pull out desk for doing work, ample outlets, coffee maker in the room. (The "business center" is a PC and printer in the lobby, but there was no wait to use them.) Rooms also offer a mini-fridge and microwave. Bathroom was clean with good water pressure. The shampoo, conditioner and shower gel are attached to the shower wall in large dispensers; it more convenient than the mini-shampoo bottles usually offered in hotels and meant less waste.
There is a fitness room open 24/7. The hotel offers free happy hour (and was crowded at that time) and free breakfast. There is a TGI Fridays next door, plus ample shopping and restaurants nearby.
While not the lap of luxury, the hotel is a good bargain and offers exactly what I'm looking for as a business traveler.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms above the lobby/atrium, which are very noisy.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank RickyBobbie

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
NORTH RICHLAND HILLS
Reviewed 15 October 2013

The rooms were clean, the manager reception was great, the soft drinks at night and for breakfast were a real pleaser.
Staff appeared to have paid attention to the details and we had a great stay
We did not have any complaints

Room Tip: I don't know if there are any bad rooms, Ours was great
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Johnnyg127
Voorhees, New Jersey
Reviewed 14 October 2013

Needed a place to crash during a NASCAR weekend. Hotel staff was very friendly. Room was clean and comfortable. For those not familiar with the chain, think Hampton Inn. A breakfast buffet was included with the room charge. Not as expansive as the Hampton Inn breakfast offering, but extra bonus points as it was available at 5:30am on a Sunday morning before I had to catch my flight.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank bzucknj
Reviewed 13 October 2013

I have never been rushed out of a hotel to allow early check-in for the next guest. I am not sure if this is even legal. I traveled to Charlotte to work as a vendor at the Dollar General 300 and did not check in to my room until 11:30 pm. I chose the motel because of reviews on TA. I had never stayed at a Drury Inn before and was excited because of the high reviews that it had received. The assistant mgr adjusted my bill, but as it was covered by my company, I would have rather had a good nights sleep. After arriving back home, I checked the reviews again and noticed that the general manager responded to all the bad reviews so maybe he will respond to this one. Don't bother. I have passed my experience on to my superiors and also to our legal dept. to see if any laws were violated. I used TA for all the rooms I recently booked for our trip to Europe and was extremely pleased by the rooms we chose. I will continue to use TA for all my travels, but Drury Inn? I don't think so. I do not think that I was singled out by the Drury Inn in this, but noticed that the cleaning staff was rushing many other guests out early.

Room Tip: There are many reasonably priced motels nearby that have similar ratings by TA. I would chose one of...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Gizimo
DruryHotels, General Manager at Drury Inn & Suites Charlotte University Place, responded to this review, 14 October 2013
Thank you for your honest feedback regarding your stay at our hotel. I do apologize that you were disturbed and I assure you that this will be discussed with the housekeeping staff. It is through input from our guests that we have the opportunity to review, evaluate and improve our product and services. Our guests should never be made to feel that we are rushing them out of the hotel. We regret that this was your experience and thank you again for bringing your concerns to our attention prior to your departure. I was copied on the correspondence that our Assistant General Manager sent you and I am pleased that she followed up with you promptly. As she stated, some of our patrons utilize the Do Not Disturb signs we provide if they wish to sleep in.

Again, I am very sorry that your morning was disturbed. Please let me know if you wish to provide me with any additional feedback. Thank you!

Regards,
Doug Uzelac
General Manager"
fayetteville
Reviewed 11 October 2013

I do recommend this hotel due to the fact that they are very good at talking to customers. Very fair and very clean rooms. Very good in some areas that other hotels clearly lack - even some of the highest tier hotels lack some of these accommodations. Assistant general manager was busy but went out of her way to make everything perfect for me. This is certainly worth nothing on here and I can't recommend this hotel highly enough!! Please do not hesitate to stay here.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 7 October 2013 via mobile

This hotel is very nice. I have stayed here for a week and I have no complaints. A real breakfast in the morning to include fresh made waffles ( if you are into that ) and the usual eggs, sausage and cubed fried potato's. In the evenings there is a happy hour with two free drinks for you so you can go down to the lobby and socialize.

The hotel was clean and the staff was friendly. I did not run into anyone where I thought they were just saying hi from script. Since I was there for a week, the manager would visit with me in the lobby to make conversation so that was nice as it did make me feel welcome. The pool and hot tub were in nice condition as well as the exercise room. My room was nice too and the bed and pillows were not overly used as some hotels would have you sleep on. All in all, when I come back for business or pleasure in the area, I will be staying here.

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Michigan
Reviewed 7 October 2013

We booked this hotel based on the reviews by TA's contributors and found that this hotel was worth the good reviews it has gotten. If you want easy access to an interstate, this fits the bill. Our room was clean, bed & pillows were comfortable and the staff was friendly & welcoming. The complimentary breakfast was adequate, had the hot dishes (eggs, sausage, oatmeal) as well as pastries, cold cereals, fruits. The complimentary happy-hour food & drinks were much appreciated & enjoyed. The only thing I missed that we usually get in other chain-hotels, was not having a safe in the room. But since we stayed only 1 night in Charlotte, it did not matter much this time.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family