Drury Inn & Suites Charlotte University Place
Ranked #21 of 177 Hotels in Charlotte
minneapolis mn
“Hidden Gem”
Reviewed 3 December 2013

This is my first stay at the Drury chain, as I am from the Midwest and the Drury is not there yet. If the Drury Inns are as nice as my first time at this location, I will def consider Drury properties for future travel needs. My flight came in early: 10 am, but thought I would see if my room was ready. I was greeted by the great customer service of Amy, who had a room ready for me and even a top floor request I had made. I was visiting my daughter in Charlotte, and Amy gave her a guest pass to join me for the fabulous 5 pm "KickStarter" event at the hotel every night: great free munchies and two free drinks. So nice of her so I could spend more time with my daughter. The free breakfast was generous, hot, delicious, and staff kept it well-supplied. Free wifi worked fast in the room, too. Very clean hotel, no insects came back with me. Comfy bed. Quiet room. I liked the free lobby popcorn and free sodas to go with in the evening. This property was more home-like and personal touches and I felt like a guest in someone's home. The property pays attention to details, and the counter staff were even washing lobby door windows. The on-duty manager stops by each guest during the great breakfast asking how we are enjoying our stay: see, just like a host at home. I am a Hilton Honors club member, but decided to stay at the Drury in Charlotte and made a wise choice: i really liked the personal touch of the Drury. I needed a car to rent, and I found that at the Hilton across the way. This Drury property is going to all non-smoking in the next few months; I am a non-smoker and was glad to hear. My non-smoking requested room did not smell of smoke at all. I will be returning to this hotel when I visit my daughter. Hard to improve on perfection!

Room Tip: Top floor quiet
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Cary, NC
Reviewed 30 November 2013

I decided the Drury after seeing the good reviews it received. What a mistake. Our adventure started when I called the hotel for directions. I knew that we were close to the hotel but could not see it because it was night. The person at the hotel told us to take two left turns to get to the hotel. This didn't sound right to me so I asked her to repeat the directions. After following the directions, my wife and I realized that they were wrong. We backtracked and found the hotel. It was across the street and to the right from where I had called the hotel!

When we arrived at the hotel, the parking lot made us nervous. Security cameras and warning signs everywhere. When we entered the hotel, we complained to the receptionist about the directions given to us. She made a half-hearted apology but then tried to defend the directions given to us, which were totally incorrect. The lobby of he hotel was very small and dark.

We then went to our room through a maze of weird narrow hallways. I had reserved and oversized suite. The living room and bedroom were nice size but the bathroom was ridiculously small. The rooms were cold so i adjusted the temperature on the old-fashioned dial thermostat to 75. The living room never got warm. The free wi-fi was a joke. The signal was so weak that every time I walked with my iPad from the living room to the bedroom I lost the signal. My wife could not even get connected with her computer in the bedroom. When she called the front desk to ask if she was doing something wrong when trying to connect, she was told to take her computer to the lobby to get a connection.

My wife and I went to the lobby to see what was being offered for the nightly free food and wine. The food was slop food. We both got a glass of wine which we threw out before finishing. It was real cheap stuff that gave us both headaches. We then went our to eat elsewhere.

Later in the evening I went down to the lobby for the free soda and popcorn. No soda. The popcorn bags were all gone, so someone went to get more. i took one look at the popcorn, which looked real old, and decided to pass on it.

My wife and I got no sleep at night between the couple below us yelling and cursing at each other all night and the uncomfortable bed. Luckily we were only staying one night.

The next day when i went to shower, I was surprised to see the there were no bottles of shampoo, conditioner or skin lotion, just dispensers of cheap shampoo and conditioner in the shower. My wife thankfully brought skin cream.

We left the hotel as soon as we could. I think that we could have had a better stay at the local prison.

Room Tip: Stay at the Hilton University Place.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
DruryHotels, General Manager at Drury Inn & Suites Charlotte University Place, responded to this review, 4 December 2013
Thank you for sharing your feedback. I truly apologize that your recent stay with us was not at all what you expected. We value honest feedback as it allows us to continuously monitor our services. I am sorry that you were not pleased with your stay. You had listed several concerns regarding your stay and we obviously have failed to meet your expectations. We are planning to have all new bedding with our renovation which is slated for the first part of 2014. During this renovation, our guestrooms, hallways and lobby will be receiving a new fresh look. Our WIFI connectivity is also slated to be a part of this property renovation. The islands leading into the parking lot are also scheduled to be removed in the next couple of months as we do not utilize the gates anymore. Thank you for your feedback regarding the evening Kickback as we are always looking for guest comments regarding our food. We will address your complete experience with our team.

Additionally, I am sorry that we were not able to amend your frustrations while you were with us. It is our goal to correct situations while you are present. I would like to speak with you regarding your stay as we strive to be the best at what we do. If you would be so kind as to call the hotel and ask for me, that would be great.

Doug Uzelac
Coleraine, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 November 2013

We arrived quite late after a long flight feeling tired to be greeted by friendly polite reception staff, and although we were only staying one night they gave us booklets about Charlotte in case we had time to sightsee in the morning before we left. We got a room on the floor we had requested and it was quiet. The beds were slightly smaller then we were used to but overall the room was clean and comfortable with a coffee maker, fridge and microwave. There was a good choice at breakfast scrambled eggs, sausage, potatoes, cereals, fruit, yoghurts, bagels and more and it was well stocked. Sadly no herbal tea but i always carry my own supply. Again we were greeeted by friendly staff here, in fact any staff we crossed paths with in this hotel were polite and friendly, it's always nice to feel welcome. We would happily stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Winterville, Georgia
Reviewed 20 November 2013

This was my first stay at a Drury Inn. i was favorably impressed by the desk staff - very polite, attentive and cheerfully changed rooms so that I could have a ground-floor room directly next to an exit (I was traveling with a dog). The room was spacious and very clean. The location is nice - very convenient to many restaurants. I will look for Drury Inn's in the future!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
New Market, Maryland
Reviewed 31 October 2013

We spent a night here in October, our first stay at a Drury. The price was a bit more than I usually spend but a bargain compared with other motels/hotels in the area. The breakfast was much above par for a motel breakfast, the staff were extremely helpful and the room was great. Convenient to the college and to restaurants and shopping. Would certainly stay there again if in the area.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Tunkhannock, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 29 October 2013

From the moment you came through the door the staff was pleasant and helpful.
They were knowledgeable about the surrounding area. Directly across the
highway is a small outdoor mall that is nice for walking. The "kickback" and
breakfast are an added bonus. Convenient to the airport. Rooms were well
maintained with decent bedding. Nice feature to have a recliner in the room.
Would not hesitate to stay again and would recommend as a great place to
stay. The staff interaction is a great feature.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed 27 October 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for business. It wasn't a newer hotel but it was clean. The staff was very accommodating and nice. Also the breakfast, afternoon drinks, and food was a plus. There were also a lot of restaurants within walking distance which was convenient. I wish they had a shuttle to the airport but maybe since it's over 15 miles away it makes sense.

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business