“WONDERFULLY REMINDED WHY WE LOVE THE DRURY!”

Drury Inn & Suites Charlotte University Place
Ranked #27 of 178 Hotels in Charlotte
Great Smoky Mountains National Park, Tennessee
“WONDERFULLY REMINDED WHY WE LOVE THE DRURY!”
Reviewed 23 August 2010

Our first experience with the Drury Inn & Suites was last year in New Orleans, Louisiana. This was an excellent park and cruise deal, even though they hadn't "invented" the 5:30KICKBACK™ at that point. It was $99, including 5 days of parking, free breakfast in the morning, and free drinks (& chips w/ salsa) at night. Couldn't beat it, even without the hot snacks they have going on now! It was elegantly appointed, clean...very "old rich" feeling, professionally staffed, convenient to the French Quarter (all walking distance), and comfortable.

Fast forward to now. We got up on the first day of a three-day weekend with the thought in mind to go no more than a full tank of gas away and find a nice B&B to relax in. I surfed and surfed and never found anything that fit our needs. My husband says, "Just find us a Drury". Okay, so now things quickly got easier! I found one within a few hours of home! I read the hotel information, looked at the pictures, checked the reviews, & picked up the phone! Within 40 minutes we were out the door.

The hotel is beautiful. Built around 4 or 5 years ago but in great shape!
We got all of this for $99 per night:

-A two room king suite. CLEAN. CLEAN. Spacious. Wi-Fi (nice & fast). Very nicely furnished. A 40" (or maybe it was 42") LCD TV in each room. Fridge/microwave hidden inside the armoire below the TV in the living room). VERY comfortable bed. Triple sheeting for that extra comfort...plus 6 pillows (I'm sure the extra two I found in the closet were intended for the pullout sofa in the living room!). Also, this particular hotel has the sofa bed linens in the closet for you whereas some hotels have them only upon request.

-Free coffee all day long (the milk machine is full all day, too)

-Free Soda & popcorn from 3p-10p

-The 5:30KICKBACK™ Here's the menu (cut & paste):

(It was AWESOME! So much food we didn't spend a dime on eating out!)
Includes 3 free alcoholic drinks per guest

-FREE BREAKFAST! Huge Belgian Waffles (they also provide sugar-free syrup on the bar if you need it), sausage patties, scrambled eggs (served with condiments of salsa, diced ham, & shredded cheese so you can make a simple "omelett"), french toast, biscuits & gravy, bagels, big fat (I mean, 3/4" thick) multigrain (with the seeds in it) toast, of course millk, juices, cereals, apples, and banannas; and I think that's it. The neat thing, too, is that they keep both evening and morning buffets going and full right up until the end.

-Professional staff. If you get the chance, ask to meet "Florin" (I don't know how to spell it). She is the manager (or one of them). EXTREMELY nice, engaging, and accommodating.

-The room felt like home, except with daily maid service! We went out for the afternoon and came back to find everything right back in it's place. Fresh towels, tissue, and even new soaps. Sometimes that's a one-shot thing with hotels in this recession! The maid even went as far as to take the blanket we had gotten from the closet the night before (and tossed on top of the other bedding) and made it up into the bed when she made it. Normally I have found that if we use an extra blanket it's simply folded up & either put back into the closet (as in, "this is for the extra bed...leave it alone") or folded up and laid across the end of the bed at other places. It's a small thing; but I thought it was a really nice touch.

-Also, IF you would like to go out for something else to eat at any point or even just to hang out, there is a TGIFriday's that you can walk to. It's directly in front of the hotel.

As a side note, we're going to book the Drury Inn & Suites Indianapolis for September 2011 for our trip home from Mackinac Island as well. I can't even book yet because it's too far out; but I've already researched the hotel, the reviews, the pricing. I'm ready without hesitation!

If you'd like to see more pictures (in a fun format) & HELP ME get 20 people to view it so that I can download it free, you are welcome to view our slideshow! :) It's a neat slideshow website that TripAdvisor offers us to share our travel pictures!

(just cut & paste this link)

-Stephanie

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Florida
Reviewed 17 August 2010

Arrived for a two night stay and booked a Queen Deluxe for $94.99/night. As soon as we got there and walked into the hotel I knew it wasn't going to be something we would be pleased with. We hads just come from the LaQuinta Inn/Raleigh which was awesome up until the last night but that is another review. The woman at the desk wasn't very personable at Drury. She gave me the key to the 2nd floor and up we went. WOW, I almost died when I saw the size and the decor of the room. I knew there was NOWAY we'd be able to live in this room for 2 days with our dog. I went back downstairs and said "this is the room"? There has to be some thing BIGGER I was willing to pay the rate. She said "no they are all that size" well when I got back up stairs my partner said she saw a king room and it was much bigger. So I decided to call the desk and I got the manager to answer. He was nice. I explained myself he understood and gave us a king suite room. Same decor old and dated but doable for two days. My dog liked it. 2 flat screen TV's in living and bedroom.
We didn't eat the breakfast or had any of the food they served for snacks. The area arounf the Inn is nice. Lots to eat, shop etc. For the amount of Money we paid it wasn't worth it. I wouldn't stay there again unless they updated the Inn.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
Marion, North Carolina
Reviewed 20 July 2010

My husband and I went on a little over night to Charlotte, North Carolina on July 19th, 2010. We chose the Drury because we have had nice stays at other Drury locations.
The Drury Inn Charlotte North is just as nice as the others. Super clean and well maintained.
The evening snacks were pretty good, except for the egg rolls. The drinks were very good and much appreciated! Evening "Kick back" is supposed to run from 5:30am until 7pm. But I came down stairs to get some chips to take up to our room and the lady had cleaned everything up by 6:45.
Our room was very clean and the A/C worked great. The only problem I had was the sheets, there were little *pills* all over. The sheets were very rough.
We had our laptop and it worked great in our room.
Breakfast was good, with lots of choices, but not enough fruit.
We would stay in this Drury again if I got a good deal, but I won't go out of my way to stay.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 19 July 2010

This hotel was selected to house the our family for the reunion. For the price we got a lot of things.
1. The conference room for the get together.
2. A large breakfast in the mornings.
3. Popcorn and soda all day.
4. Kick back is free dinner, hot dogs, veggies and dip, baked potatoes etc.
5. A great room and confortable bed.
6. Free internet/Wi Fi.
7. Free fax.
8. Low price, $80 included all taxes.
9. Great indoor/outdoor pool.
10. Very Accommendating for sizeable group.

• Stayed July 2010
Cary, NC
Reviewed 15 July 2010

Drury North has an unsual pool--it's half indoors and half outdoors. There is a large window above the pool that goes down just to the surface of the water. It is open year-round! My kids love playing a game of capture the flag (dad gets the outside!) in the pool (with pool toys we bring from home)...this year several other kids joined in. They played happily for hours (after a day at Discovery Place!).

Drury is not an updated, hip looking hotel. The furnishings are more to my grandmother's taste than mine (white brick wall faces you when you enter the room-ugh!)...brass lamps, dated couch and wall hangings, etc. The beds and pillows were not comfortable--a little cheap, lumpy, and over used.

BUT--they do offer a free breakfast that is nice (waffles, yogurt, fruit, bacon, biscuits, cereal, donuts, etc.) and they've always offered free popcorn and soda and drinks for the adults in the evenings. And now they have added free "dinner" from 5:30 to 7--the menu rotates (and is listed on their website) but includes things like salad (think iceberg cheap mix), baked potato, hot dogs, chicken strips (said they were Tyson but didn't look like it), meatballs,etc. It is a good value if you figure in the room, the food and the pool. The stafff is extra nice and works hard to please. My kids and husband loved the free food and I didn't mind it too much. (If only the bed and pillows were updated--and maybe paint over that brick wall!) We saw lots of folks happy with the freebies and enjoying the unsual pool. And it's only an exit away from the IKEA--a shopping mecca for the young, hip, and moms of the world!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank CaryPlanner
Virginia
Reviewed 10 July 2010

Stayed here last week. Good location, close to food and shopping. Hotel is very nice, clean and the staff is very friendly. The breakfast is great with most anything you could want and the 5:30 kickback is great too, each night they had baked potatoes, salad, hotdogs, nachos, popcorn and veggies with dip....then each night they would add something different like chicken tenders, meatballs, eggrolls.....it was really good and saved having to eat out each night for dinner. The indoor/outdoor pool was nice, a little cold, but still great. The rooms were nice, beds and linens were comfy, had a microwave and refrigerator. I will definitely stay here again if I come to Charlotte and will look for other hotels in this chain for my future travel.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 8 July 2010

OK, take the free breakfast with real food--coffee, cereal, sausage patties, scrambled eggs, fresh biscuits and hot gravy, fruit and fruit juice, pastries, toast, waffles and french toast; then add free afternoon drinks and snacks, free internet, refreshing pool and hot spa, fitness center; mix in attentive and thoughtful staff, large rooms, crisp linens and oversized TV... what do you have? A winner!!! this place is amazing! we paid less than $100/night including all taxes (AAA rate). We'll never go anywhere else! Loved it!!!!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple