“Great, safe, and shops close by Drury Inn”

Drury Inn & Suites Charlotte University Place
Ranked #24 of 177 Hotels in Charlotte
Waipahu, Hawaii
“Great, safe, and shops close by Drury Inn”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 September 2010

Happy to stay at Drury Inn. First time using Drury. Nice location, lots of shops. Felt it was in above higher economic area. Shopping mall seems newer. A Security police area next street. Great free breakfast, free internet- dsl line in room, quiet and safe area. Elevator and door location all over so easy in and out of hotel. Was impressed on first visit. Would come back if visit Charlotte again. GOOD.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Saint Augustine
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2010

Great hotel!!! Located next ro the mall and the interstate...PF Changs and Panera you can walk to! Clean, comfy beds, little pool, free breakfast... We got a suite, for about 20$ more, well worth it! Very pet friendly, higher end hotel. You will be comfortable here for business or with family...

• Stayed August 2010
Mooresville, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2010

Beautiful, clean room. Pets allowed. Free Breakfast, computer with internet, clean pool, gym, wonderful reception with drinks and snacks every evening, terrific staff. Will look for more Drury Inns whenever I am traveling down south.

Mts of western NC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2010

We thought we would try this Drury after an excellent experience in San Antonio earlier this year. This Drury is in an easy to reach location right off the interstate. We had no trouble finding it after a day at Carowinds. The lobby is clean and we were promptly greeted by friendly desk personnel. The air-conditioned hallways were quite welcome from the summer heat. The room was clean and had a large screen LG televsion with free HBO which we enjoyed that evening. The carpets were clean, The bathroom and shower area were very clean with everything functioning properly. I though tthe bed was too soft but my wife loved it. Individual preferences. The wall controlled thermostat worked fine and controlled the a/c to our liking. The small microwave did it's job and the small fridge kept drinks cool but was not up to freezing ice cubes in the compartment provided (too weak or worn out). It was also a bit noisy in the quiet of the night at bedtime. The evening snacks in the lobby (5:30 - 7:00) were fun and typically cheap but we don't rate motels on food quality. It is just a perk. The same with the breakfast. If you don't want to drive anymore after arrival there is a TGIF restaurant within 200' of the parking area. No streets to cross, just walk over. There is also a steakhouse but across the street. The pool area is different as it is both an indoor/outdoor pool. Not particularly inviting but it is there for those that want to enjoy a swim. For those that arrive in nice cars or bring show cars to the nearby Charlotte Speedway the parking area was safe and protected by shrubbery and decorative iron fencing. No issues on the night we stayed. We would definitely recommend this Drury and we will be back.

Great Smoky Mountains National Park, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2010

Our first experience with the Drury Inn & Suites was last year in New Orleans, Louisiana. This was an excellent park and cruise deal, even though they hadn't "invented" the 5:30KICKBACK™ at that point. It was $99, including 5 days of parking, free breakfast in the morning, and free drinks (& chips w/ salsa) at night. Couldn't beat it, even without the hot snacks they have going on now! It was elegantly appointed, clean...very "old rich" feeling, professionally staffed, convenient to the French Quarter (all walking distance), and comfortable.

Fast forward to now. We got up on the first day of a three-day weekend with the thought in mind to go no more than a full tank of gas away and find a nice B&B to relax in. I surfed and surfed and never found anything that fit our needs. My husband says, "Just find us a Drury". Okay, so now things quickly got easier! I found one within a few hours of home! I read the hotel information, looked at the pictures, checked the reviews, & picked up the phone! Within 40 minutes we were out the door.

The hotel is beautiful. Built around 4 or 5 years ago but in great shape!
We got all of this for $99 per night:

-A two room king suite. CLEAN. CLEAN. Spacious. Wi-Fi (nice & fast). Very nicely furnished. A 40" (or maybe it was 42") LCD TV in each room. Fridge/microwave hidden inside the armoire below the TV in the living room). VERY comfortable bed. Triple sheeting for that extra comfort...plus 6 pillows (I'm sure the extra two I found in the closet were intended for the pullout sofa in the living room!). Also, this particular hotel has the sofa bed linens in the closet for you whereas some hotels have them only upon request.

-Free coffee all day long (the milk machine is full all day, too)

-Free Soda & popcorn from 3p-10p

-The 5:30KICKBACK™ Here's the menu (cut & paste):

(It was AWESOME! So much food we didn't spend a dime on eating out!)
Includes 3 free alcoholic drinks per guest

-FREE BREAKFAST! Huge Belgian Waffles (they also provide sugar-free syrup on the bar if you need it), sausage patties, scrambled eggs (served with condiments of salsa, diced ham, & shredded cheese so you can make a simple "omelett"), french toast, biscuits & gravy, bagels, big fat (I mean, 3/4" thick) multigrain (with the seeds in it) toast, of course millk, juices, cereals, apples, and banannas; and I think that's it. The neat thing, too, is that they keep both evening and morning buffets going and full right up until the end.

-Professional staff. If you get the chance, ask to meet "Florin" (I don't know how to spell it). She is the manager (or one of them). EXTREMELY nice, engaging, and accommodating.

-The room felt like home, except with daily maid service! We went out for the afternoon and came back to find everything right back in it's place. Fresh towels, tissue, and even new soaps. Sometimes that's a one-shot thing with hotels in this recession! The maid even went as far as to take the blanket we had gotten from the closet the night before (and tossed on top of the other bedding) and made it up into the bed when she made it. Normally I have found that if we use an extra blanket it's simply folded up & either put back into the closet (as in, "this is for the extra bed...leave it alone") or folded up and laid across the end of the bed at other places. It's a small thing; but I thought it was a really nice touch.

-Also, IF you would like to go out for something else to eat at any point or even just to hang out, there is a TGIFriday's that you can walk to. It's directly in front of the hotel.

As a side note, we're going to book the Drury Inn & Suites Indianapolis for September 2011 for our trip home from Mackinac Island as well. I can't even book yet because it's too far out; but I've already researched the hotel, the reviews, the pricing. I'm ready without hesitation!

If you'd like to see more pictures (in a fun format) & HELP ME get 20 people to view it so that I can download it free, you are welcome to view our slideshow! :) It's a neat slideshow website that TripAdvisor offers us to share our travel pictures!

(just cut & paste this link)

-Stephanie

Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2010

Arrived for a two night stay and booked a Queen Deluxe for $94.99/night. As soon as we got there and walked into the hotel I knew it wasn't going to be something we would be pleased with. We hads just come from the LaQuinta Inn/Raleigh which was awesome up until the last night but that is another review. The woman at the desk wasn't very personable at Drury. She gave me the key to the 2nd floor and up we went. WOW, I almost died when I saw the size and the decor of the room. I knew there was NOWAY we'd be able to live in this room for 2 days with our dog. I went back downstairs and said "this is the room"? There has to be some thing BIGGER I was willing to pay the rate. She said "no they are all that size" well when I got back up stairs my partner said she saw a king room and it was much bigger. So I decided to call the desk and I got the manager to answer. He was nice. I explained myself he understood and gave us a king suite room. Same decor old and dated but doable for two days. My dog liked it. 2 flat screen TV's in living and bedroom.
We didn't eat the breakfast or had any of the food they served for snacks. The area arounf the Inn is nice. Lots to eat, shop etc. For the amount of Money we paid it wasn't worth it. I wouldn't stay there again unless they updated the Inn.

Marion, North Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2010

My husband and I went on a little over night to Charlotte, North Carolina on July 19th, 2010. We chose the Drury because we have had nice stays at other Drury locations.
The Drury Inn Charlotte North is just as nice as the others. Super clean and well maintained.
The evening snacks were pretty good, except for the egg rolls. The drinks were very good and much appreciated! Evening "Kick back" is supposed to run from 5:30am until 7pm. But I came down stairs to get some chips to take up to our room and the lady had cleaned everything up by 6:45.
Our room was very clean and the A/C worked great. The only problem I had was the sheets, there were little *pills* all over. The sheets were very rough.
We had our laptop and it worked great in our room.
Breakfast was good, with lots of choices, but not enough fruit.
We would stay in this Drury again if I got a good deal, but I won't go out of my way to stay.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple