“Walls maybe but not a Hotel”

Candlewood Suites - Charlotte University
Ranked #106 of 180 Hotels in Charlotte
Reviewed 10 February 2012

The staff isn't concerned at all. Tell them that the toilet is broken and they apologize.
They fixed the elevator while I was there and I was waiting for it for 10 minutes until I figured I may as well take the stairs. When I arrived downstairs they were working on it but that is the only elevator and there are 3 or 4 flights, how difficult would it have been to post a sign...
I wil spare you the details of lack of toilet paper or bowl that was broken evidently way before I came. I tried to fix it and the chain was broken, I had to pull the trigger by hand. I think it means the bowl wasn't clean before me since it couldn't have been working. The chain was stuck and broken. Great housekeepers they got.
Avoid at all cost unless you don't know the difference between staying in walls and having a nice stay in a hotel.
Forgot to mention the guy at the reception that shakes your hand as you would expect it to be friendly until you figure out the is unprofessional. Try to tell him the internet isn't working and he will reply " I don't know where the modem is". I was told they didn't tell him where it was. HArd to reset a router that way.... Maybe they don't trust him? But you should? No safe in room either...

Room Tip: You are better off at a comfort Inn if you are going budget. They are not even at that rate, they sh...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
saramcmill, Director of Sales at Candlewood Suites - Charlotte University, responded to this reviewResponded 17 February 2012

Hello,

Thank you very much for your honest feedback.

I am extremely sorry that you did not have a good stay. We are going through renovations as you definitely noticed and will be through the end of March. Not that it makes up for it, but because of the renovations the hotel/staff is a bit hectic right now.

Regardless, I am again very sorry you did not have a satisfactory stay.

I would love to ask for you to come back and stay with us post renovations. I think that you will see a completely transformed hotel and a more focused staff, in addition to staying in a completely remodeled and modernized room!

Please let me know if you would like to take me up on this, because I know we can do better!

Sara McMillan
p. 704-598-9863 x 402
f. 704-596-9963
sara.mcmillan@ihg.com

Reviewed 4 February 2012

This hotel is horrible. Stay away please.Save your money and time this place is a dead zone. You cant get cellular service here at all. It was terrible I had a speech to do for my roomates wedding and could not be reached because of the lack of cellular service. Might i also add they are going through renovations. Its defening noisy and doesnt stop hammering and banging until 6pm. THere are construction workers walking around and they make you feel uncormfatable by xraying your body. So ladies and small girls should stay away. I have been happier to leave a hotel than now. I hope nobody makes a mistake of staying here like i did.

Room Tip: Dont stay here
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo

Hello Lauren,

I am extremely sorry that you did not have a good stay. We are going through renovations as you definitely noticed and will be through the end of March. We did publish an alert on all booking sites that we are under construction, so we can prepare anyone wanting to stay with us.

Regardless, I am again very sorry you did not have a satisfactory stay.

I would love to ask for you to come back and stay with us post renovations for a complimentary night. I think that you will see a completely transformed hotel from a noise/construction standpoint, in addition to completely remodeled and modernized rooms!

Sara McMillan
p. 704-598-9863 x 402
f. 704-596-9963
sara.mcmillan@ihg.com

Reviewed 6 January 2012

I had to travel to Charlotte to visit schools and stay overnight. I planned to stay at candle wood because I was familiar with the brand and liked it. I got excellent service with quick check in and check out. Room was just as I expected with great linens, including towels. I picked up a steak dinner to go and got back to my room, where I found a steak knife :). I will be traveling back tom charlotte periodically and plan to stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 10 December 2011

We stayed in early November while we went to the Dirt Track World Championship. The room and bathroom were spacious, well equiped with bowls, utensils, pans etc. but we didnt use any of that for our short stay. I was looking for a trash can in the kitchenette at one point and found it underneath the kitchen sink,,,,but the bag already had numerous unused condoms and wrappers along with fishnet stockings in it.....seems someone only used the room for a few hours and the cleaning staff didnt think to change the trash....

The rest of the room was very clean, and clear of extracurricular evidence as we would expect. We had already been there half of the stay so we didnt ask for another room since we had already slept there etc. and planned to leave at 430 am the next day.

It was close to good restaurants, fast food and Charlotte Motor Speedway. Despite our "surprise" we are thinking of booking it again for our next trip there for the conveinance of the large fridge and mircrowave. The corridors were quiet at night which was a welcome change as most hotels get noisy.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank boggsduo
Reviewed 9 December 2011

Hotel was great. It is in great shape, however I noticed a display board in the lobby that showed their plan for refurbish. The photos looked amazing! Just hope they don't raise the price! I love staying in candlewoods across the country but I live on an expense account 8 months out of the year and I am hoping this location doesn't put themselves in a position to have to be over $80/night in November.

• Stayed: November 2011
Reviewed 22 August 2011

I travel quite often with Priceline.com . This is my first stay in your hotel. I typically stay in 3-Star+ hotels but this time decided to try a 2-Star.
1. I was impressed beginning with the font desk. The hotel desk Chris and Gayle were very friendly courteous and professional.
2. The hotel was quiet and clean. The room was very nice and clean as well. I loved the fact that you had a dishwasher and range top. I was able to leave the room clean and somewhat back to it's originlal order.
3. The bed was very comfortable.
4. Had I stayed there blind-folded I would have guessed it was a 3-start+ hotel.
5. Upon check out Monday morning I found the front desk personnel to be very friendly and professional. I hope to visit with your hotel again soon!
6. Thank you for a very pleasant stay!

Room Tip: Just tell them what you want.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 August 2011

Staff is very friendly, amenities are as close as you can get to being at home... pots and pans, dishwasher, free laundry anything you could possibly need. I would recommend this hotel to anyone and will definitely be back if we are in this area again.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business