“Great Location! Halfway between Downtown and Concord Mills”

Candlewood Suites - Charlotte University
Ranked #107 of 180 Hotels in Charlotte
Reviewed 7 December 2013

This hotel is located in a great spot! It is halfway between downtown Charlotte and Concord Mills area. Plus is located right in the university area so there are a ton of shops and restaurants to go to. 1 mile away from the University Boardwalk that has shops and food too. The suites are gigantic with a full kitchen, Big L shaped desk, and comfy beds. The only problem is the fitness facility is awful and there is not at least a continental breakfast. There is a self serve food pantry that you pay for each individual item. Like a big snack bar. Otherwise this is a great place to stay. Make sure you book your room at least 3 months before the 2 NASCAR races otherwise they will be full.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank kobe104
Mandi2457, Director of Sales at Candlewood Suites - Charlotte University, responded to this reviewResponded 16 December 2013

Wow!! Thank you so much for taking the time to review our property! We couldn't have said it better ourselves! Thank you so much for highlighting the amenities you enjoyed! I agree with you that our location makes us a great place to stay in Charlotte! Also, I am so glad you found value in our large suites with full size refrigerators, stove tops, and dishwashers! The Candlewood Cupboard, as you noted, is a large snack bar with breakfast, lunch, and dinner items for our guests to take back to their rooms and cook as they see fit! We want to give our guests freedom to feel at home! If there are any additional items that you think we should add, please let us know! Your opinion is very important to us!

We look forward to welcoming you back home to Charlotte in the future!

Reviewed 4 December 2013

Free coffee but ran out of cream. I asked for cream at the front desk and we got a "sorry we are out". The free coffee is locate in a cupboard area that is normally clean in other Candlewoods but this was filthy and there were paper on the floor. The area is common to the laundry and it wa very hot and smell like the detergents.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank CarlosTopeca
Mandi2457, General Manager at Candlewood Suites - Charlotte University, responded to this reviewResponded 16 December 2013

Thank you for your great comments on Jose! He is a great team member. I am sorry about the cream - we had ordered it however it was back ordered when the shipment came in. I will be speaking to the staff about the floor and papers being on the floor - We hope that you will reconsider staying with us again and promise to live up to your expectations. Call me personally to make another reservation.

Gale Begalla GM

Reviewed 29 November 2013 via mobile

We came to North Carolina to visit family and arrived the evening before thanksgiving. It was with my wife and two infant children. At approximately 6:15 or do, we were surprised with the sound of a fire alarm and had to wake up the children and rush them out of the hotel. There was no presence of any hotel employees to answer any questions out to assist anyone. We were not given any explanation and the front desk just pretended like nothing happened. We had to get the explanations from the firemen that were on the scene. We were outside in the cold weather, with the children for about 45 minutes. I think there was only 1 person working for the entire hotel.

The room itself has a very dirty carpet and there is a big circular stain on the floor. The heater in the room is very loud and is very disruptive so we can't hear the television.

I would seriously think about another girl before you choose this one.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Mandi2457, Director of Sales at Candlewood Suites - Charlotte University, responded to this reviewResponded 6 December 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review! We do appreciate our guest feedback and use it to facilitate additional training in our staff at the Candlewood Suites Charlotte University. We sincerely apologize that you were present during the fire alarm alert we experienced on Thanksgiving morning. We handle every fire alarm with care, and we follow state laws in regards to the publics safety. Per state law, we do need everyone out of the building until the fire department deems it safe to return. We understand this was very stressful for you and your family and we appreciate your quick response! The front desk associate was working very hard to ensure everyone was out of the building safely, and assisting the fire department as needed. Due to the hour of the alarm, we did only have one associate at the hotel and we believe he handled the situation to the best of his ability. There is room for improvement and we will continue to train our staff on how to handle these stressful situations in the future. We hope this past occurance will give them insight on how to keep our guests more informed moving forward. Thank you again for your patience and we are thankful for the safety of all our guests!

I truly hope that when you return to Charlotte, you will give us an opportunity to change your opinion! You may personally reach out to me, Mandi Jordan, and I will make sure your next stay runs as smoothly as possible.

Thank you again, and have a wonderful holiday season!

Candlewood Suites Charlotte University

Reviewed 18 November 2013

Fabulous! I am so glad that I found this place. Great value. The room was spacious, cheery, clean, and tastefully decorated. Having the kitchen was a nice feature and had everything I needed for meals during my stay, saving me money on eating out the whole time. The staff was helpful and polite. I will definitely stay here again when I am in the Charlotte area. This is also a pet friendly place, which is important for me as I am frequently traveling with my 4-legged companion.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank 61Anne13
Mandi2457, Director of Sales at Candlewood Suites - Charlotte University, responded to this reviewResponded 25 November 2013

Thank you so very much for your wonderful review! I am beyond thrilled that you enjoyed your stay, and thankful that you highlighted the spacious room, fully equipped kitchen, and our pet policy! We understand that our pets are an extension of our families, that is why we encourage you to bring them along! We love meeting new 4-legged companions & their owners!

I am so glad that you will be returning on your next visit to Charlotte, and I hope to get to meet you to say thank you again! Have a great Holiday Season!

Reviewed 12 November 2013

A little far from things, about a mile from restaurants. Which isn't all that good if you plan on having a few drinks. The hotel itself is great cause you have a full kitchen including oven, microwave, fridge and cutlery. There's also an honesty box system for food drinks with free coffee. Staff was super nice and friendly.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Mandi2457, Director of Sales at Candlewood Suites - Charlotte University, responded to this reviewResponded 18 November 2013

Dear loyal guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review our property! We appreciate your honest review, and I'm thrilled you highlighted the amenities you enjoyed! I agree with you that our fully equipped kitchens are what separates us from the competition, and i'm glad you found value in our full size refrigerators, stove tops, and dishwashers! The Candlewood Cupboard, as you noted, is on the honor system because we trust in our guests as much as they trust in us!

I hope if you are back in the Charlotte area that you will return to us here at The Candlewood Suites Charlotte University! We look forward to welcoming you back home to Charlotte in the future!

Reviewed 11 November 2013

I flew into Charlotte from Arizona and my Dad and brothers drove to Charlotte from Dallas. We were having a boys weekend for some car races held at the Dirt Track @ Charlotte Motor Speedway. Upon checking in, we were initially going to have a problem, but Kay stepped in and took care of everything. Kay was both personable and professional. It was very obvious to us she takes a lot of pride and ownership in what she does at Candlewood Suites Charlotte University. Whatever they are paying Kay, she is worth every penny and then some.

The location is close to the Airport in Charlotte, many places to eat (even some that deliver), Charlotte Motor Speedway, and Concord Mills Mall.

The rooms were spacious and clean. When I travel there are 3 things I am hopeful I get in my room: HOT (as I want) water, plenty of water pressure, and a drain in the shower that works. (This property nailed all 3!)

The location of this property was the original reason why I booked my room here. It won't be the next time. The reason I book my room here next time will be for everything I mentioned above. I would also like to mention this is my first review I have ever written online. The impression of my visit was worth coming home and writing one.

Norm Talley from Az.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends

Dear Norm,

Wow! Thank you so much for your review!! Your words were truly heartwarming to the entire staff here at the Candlewood Suites Charlotte University. Thank you for your time, as we really do appreciate your kind words in regards to Ms. Kay, and the facilities here. It is because of guests such as yourself that we strive so hard for excellence. Customer service is very important to us, and we truly believe our guests are our family. Thank you a million times over!

We look forward to seeing you back again next year for the World of Outlaws Dirt Track Races!

Reviewed 24 October 2013

My experience at this hotel was mixed. Let me start off by saying that the actual room itself that I stayed in was very nice; and it was large enough for me. The bed was comfortable and the carpet was pristine. I have no complaints about the room itself other than the fact that it felt a bit damp. Now, for the rest of the facilities. I have stayed in other Candlewood Suites properties and this one seemed a bit more run down in the common areas than the others I have experienced. The carpet in the hallways was dirty and stained. The workout area is shared with the laundry facilities and contains mostly old and outdated equipment. For example I like to run on the treadmill, but it was too close to the light which made my run unconfortable. The front desk worker who checked me in was helpful but not overly cheerful or hospitable. One highlight of this hotel is that it is relatively convenient to I-85 or I-77. Overall, I think that this hotel had some good things about it (the room) but definitely needs to work on the appearance of common areas such as hallways and walls.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
Mandi2457, Director of Sales at Candlewood Suites - Charlotte University, responded to this reviewResponded 6 November 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you so very much for your honest review. We appreciate your feedback so that we may continue to improve our services to our guests! I am pleased you found your room comfortable and appealing, as our housekeepers work very hard to keep the rooms fresh and clean!

I apologize that you found our common areas under par. Our property is older than most as we are one of the first generation Candlewood Suites! We work hard to keep our equipment and common areas maintained; however, we understand that there is more work to do. Thank you for your feedback. We will look into these issues so that we can begin to exceed our guests expectations!

If you are in the Charlotte area, we would be delighted to have you stay with us again!

Thank you again!