“A hidden gem.”

Wing Haven Garden and Bird Sanctuary
Ranked #35 of 183 things to do in Charlotte
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Located in the heart of Charlotte, North Carolina, Wing Haven provides a natural oasis for reflection and study of its two public gardens. Wing Haven Garden & Bird Sanctuary is rich in Southern horticulture and a habitat for birds and wildlife. The Elizabeth Lawrence House & Garden is the site of a world-renowned garden writer's living laboratory. Together, these historic properties welcome visitors of all ages to discover and learn. Wing Haven also offers more than 30 programs and special events each year.
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Wheelchair access, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed 3 July 2013

I saw this on the list of places to visit in Charlotte and I knew my traveling companion loves birds and gardens.
An unexpected bonus was driving streets with big old trees and neat houses. The neighborhood where the houses are located is a mixture of old houses and new houses that try to fit in and usually succeed.
The house is where one purchases a ticket and it alone was worth a good look. The outlooks to gardens and bird feeders and ponds were very restful and beautiful. Don't miss the opening video back in the garden house. (there are also restrooms there.)
From basically an empty clay lot, two people created a garden refuge for birds and people. The entire area now encloses three acres with a open brick work wall. The paths lead you from one fascinating view, fountain, saying, pond, flower, unusual tree, birds, chipmunks, benches to another. One section feels like a formal garden, then you find yourselves walking a woody pathway. The rose garden was lovely even though most roses were done blooming. We enjoyed the herb garden. The best is last, with a spectacular butterfly bush, the largest I have ever seen, and beautiful hydrangeas.
Our biggest regret was that we had only an hour and a half to tour. It really calls for spending time quietly sitting on a bench at a time and letting the restful atmosphere soak in. We also knew that we would not be at anytime when the birds would be apt to feed. I still think back to that peaceful oasis.
The second house, owned by a garden expert, had lots of samples of various flowers. Unfortunately, we knew something about flowers, and some were clearly mislabeled or the name was missing. We were in a rush by then.
I recommended this place to all my friends in Charlotte for our convention, but most had no time to visit.

5  Thank mbabe58

Reviewed 4 May 2013

This a nice place to invest an hour if you are looking for a relaxing way to spend a saturday afternoon.
I have driven by the house a hundred times and never knew about the facility.

3  Thank kungfunc
Reviewed 11 April 2013

I will return. They are not open all day, so if you are planning a trip to go and see them, I would recommend that you call them to see what the hours of operation are. They have education activities too that would be great if you have children with you when you visit! Just amazing!

7  Thank CindiS369
Reviewed 7 April 2013

I would recommend anyone to come and see this beautiful garden. Although, it is very hard to find because it is hidden behind a house

4  Thank Agjajkdj
Reviewed 23 March 2013

If you like, flowers, peaceful settings, bunnies and birds in a magical, Secret Garden-type atmosphere, then you'll love it. Bring your camera!

3  Thank cranesbeach347