“Peaceful”

Wing Haven Garden and Bird Sanctuary
Ranked #35 of 180 things to do in Charlotte
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Located in the heart of Charlotte, North Carolina, Wing Haven provides a natural oasis for reflection and study of its two public gardens. Wing Haven Garden & Bird Sanctuary is rich in Southern horticulture and a habitat for birds and wildlife. The Elizabeth Lawrence House & Garden is the site of a world-renowned garden writer's living laboratory. Together, these historic properties welcome visitors of all ages to discover and learn. Wing Haven also offers more than 30 programs and special events each year.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Bathroom facilities, Activities for young children
Charlotte, North Carolina
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 45 helpful votes
“Peaceful”
Reviewed 29 July 2013

Just the perfect way to spend a few hours among the wildflowers and butterflies of Charlotte's best Garden. Peaceful is the by word

Visited May 2013
2 Thank pangelo511

Paris, France
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Avoid !”
Reviewed 21 July 2013

You will have to pay six buks to come in. This is far too much. The place is tiny, crowded with vicious mosquitos, and you will have to be lucky if you want to see any bird. I see more birds eating seeds on my balcony than I saw here. The only animals flying were mosquitos.

And, the most important : it does not worth paying as much as six bucks. This place would have been interesting if the entrance were free, or if there were a one dollar fee, but six dollars ? They are simply kidding. It is ridiculously expensive for what it is. So here is the best advice I can provide : avoid !

Visited July 2013
5 Thank Quentin S
West H artford CT
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 58 helpful votes
“A Sanctuary in Charlotte”
Reviewed 17 July 2013

I love visiting Wing Haven. I feel so relaxed and happy there. Every time I go different plants are in bloom and the landscape seems to change every so slightly. I recommend this as a regular stop for anyone living within driving distance, and if you live farther out, you absolutely have to come to see it even if it only one time. I brought a friend from Japan here, and she was in awe of the place.

Visited July 2013
3 Thank karengaillee
Carlisle, Pennsylvania
40 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 53 helpful votes
“A hidden gem.”
Reviewed 3 July 2013

I saw this on the list of places to visit in Charlotte and I knew my traveling companion loves birds and gardens.
An unexpected bonus was driving streets with big old trees and neat houses. The neighborhood where the houses are located is a mixture of old houses and new houses that try to fit in and usually succeed.
The house is where one purchases a ticket and it alone was worth a good look. The outlooks to gardens and bird feeders and ponds were very restful and beautiful. Don't miss the opening video back in the garden house. (there are also restrooms there.)
From basically an empty clay lot, two people created a garden refuge for birds and people. The entire area now encloses three acres with a open brick work wall. The paths lead you from one fascinating view, fountain, saying, pond, flower, unusual tree, birds, chipmunks, benches to another. One section feels like a formal garden, then you find yourselves walking a woody pathway. The rose garden was lovely even though most roses were done blooming. We enjoyed the herb garden. The best is last, with a spectacular butterfly bush, the largest I have ever seen, and beautiful hydrangeas.
Our biggest regret was that we had only an hour and a half to tour. It really calls for spending time quietly sitting on a bench at a time and letting the restful atmosphere soak in. We also knew that we would not be at anytime when the birds would be apt to feed. I still think back to that peaceful oasis.
The second house, owned by a garden expert, had lots of samples of various flowers. Unfortunately, we knew something about flowers, and some were clearly mislabeled or the name was missing. We were in a rush by then.
I recommended this place to all my friends in Charlotte for our convention, but most had no time to visit.

Visited June 2013
5 Thank mbabe58
Charlotte, North Carolina
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Convenient refuge”
Reviewed 4 May 2013

This a nice place to invest an hour if you are looking for a relaxing way to spend a saturday afternoon.
I have driven by the house a hundred times and never knew about the facility.

Visited April 2013