“Nice place”

Discovery Place Nature
Ranked #56 of 181 things to do in Charlotte
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Nature-based fun and learning awaits in every corner of Discovery Place Nature. Little ones can get close to wildlife and walk among free-flying butterflies in Butterfly Pavilion, observe live animals in Creature Cavern, buzz by Insect Alley, hang out in Our Big Backyard, walk the Paw Paw Nature Trail in the 100-year-old forest or go wild in Fort Wild.
Useful Information: Activities for young children
Reviewed 30 June 2013

Attached to Freedom Park this nature museum has alot to offer in a small space. We love the butterfly garden and the outdoor exhibit space for the kids to play. We were also fascinated by the newborn baby chicks and the eggs still in the incubator getting ready to hatch.

3  Thank Kelly J

Reviewed 17 June 2013

"Pavilion" is a generous word. The pavilion is smaller than a badminton court but it is still seriously, seriously awesome. The rest? Take it or leave it. Not much going on for it except for the baby quail - which are in a TINY cage in the LOBBY. My five year old really wanted to spend more time at the playplaces outside but had to jet inside because the mosquitos were plentiful enough to inspire a Hitchcock movie. I wish that were an exaggeration, I really do. I'm disappointed in Charlotte for this. They can do better.

Reviewed 27 May 2013

I went here because of the reviews stating it was fun for kids and adults. Not true! It's not worth the money to see a bunch of stuffed animals, a few turtles, snakes, spiders, & rabbits. Also, the trail outside was just walking through the woods & through random spider webs. I don't have children but I have young nieces, nephews, & siblings and would not bring them here.

1  Thank Madison F
Reviewed 26 May 2013

After reading the reviews I didn't prepared to set my expectations low for this, and thought it might fill an hour if I was luckily. This was so cute. It isn't for older kids or adults. This group will find it boring. But if you have little ones age 1-5, they will love it. The inside has some little animals to look at, a butterfly garden, some toys, and an area for climbing (pretend you are a mole rat). Outside though is fantastic. Little play and discovery area. Its simple, but cute if you are a toddler or preschooler.

It is in a great neighborhood. And near a park and river. We could have stayed longer. Taken a picnic and visted the park. My child asked to visit again.

1  Thank starlight1010
Reviewed 25 May 2013

My family went here to see nature and we had a great time. I have a 6 the 10 year old and they both had a great time. Very educational.

1  Thank weavet2000

Been to Discovery Place Nature? Share your experiences!