“Poor Service, Average Accommodations”

Aloft Charlotte Uptown at the EpiCentre
Ranked #70 of 183 Hotels in Charlotte
Reviewed 5 January 2014

First the location is great if you are hanging out downtown ( which we were) so that part was excellent. It is within walking distance from so many places. But beyond that there was nothing good. The room was small with stained carpet, lumpy beds, and a dirty shower. The overall appearance was fine if the room had been kept well. In the evening two of us went downstairs to the hotel bar to wait on the last friend before we went out. Awful experience!!! There were three customers at the bar and the bartender knew one of them and was sitting there chatting. She said she would be with us in a minute. After about 5 minutes she walked past us to help the customer at the other end of the bar who already had a drink. Then she was rearranging some bottles etc, while we just sat there. Finally I said to my friend we are leaving and as we walked away she says " oh did you need something?" so rude and unprofessional. After that we all left to go to dinner and drinks. Upon returning at the hotel the floor was being mopped so we tried to be careful where we stepped but the man cleaning was rude. After we all went up to the room one of my friends went to the car down in the parking garage and forgot her key. She was treated ruduly by staff upon coming back in. I will never stay there again, do not know if it was Charlotte location of the hotel chain itself that has poor service, but I won't risk it. With so many other great hotels around for the same price I will go where the service is good and the rooms are clean. For what we experienced it should have been the cheapest hotel around so i will stick with the Hilton or the Marriott downtown even if its another block away. But the Omni is across the street and I have always had a good experience there. I can handle a lot of things but out right rude staff is not one of them. But with that the next day when we checked out there was a different staff and they seemed more friendly. I like knowing I will get pleasant staff not just depending on the day.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Joanie M
Emily F, Guest Relations Manager at Aloft Charlotte Uptown at the EpiCentre, responded to this reviewResponded 5 February 2014

Hi Joanie M,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. I’m glad to hear that you enjoyed our convenient location and interacted with helpful staff on your second day, but I am sorry to hear that you were met with aspects of your visit that led to any dissatisfaction. I will share your feedback with the hotel team, as we aim to prevent this experience from occurring in the future.

Reviewed 30 December 2013

The Aloft is an excellent hotel to stay in if you are attending any event at Time Warner Cable Arena. It is within walking distance, and I was so happy I was not in the bumper to bumper traffic before and after the concert. Even though they do not have a restaurant located in hotel, there are plenty to choose from in the EpiCentre. The rooms are small, but not a lot of time was spent there anyway. The only drawback is the Lobby is located on the Fifth Floor. A little inconvenient taking one slow elevator to Lobby, then transferring to a second elevator to arrive at room. Every staff member I encountered were pleasant and friendly. If I ever go back to Charlotte I would stay there again!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 December 2013 via mobile

My boyfriend and I stayed here for night to visit the Bobcats play the Lakers. My first impression of this loft was a great one! It was very modern and had a great color pattern. There was a bar, pool table, and mini eatery in the loft. Once we got to our room I was amazed at how well our room looked. Everything was neat and in place and customer service was superb! This loft is close to everything. Ruth Chris was in walking distance as well as the Time Warner Cable arena.

The drinks and food in the hotel was pricey but i guess that is to be expected. All in all we had a great time and I would stay again.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 December 2013

The Aloft Charlotte Epicenter is a fantastic place to stay. Its in the heart of downtown Charlotte & surrounded by terrific places to eat, drink & just have fun. The hotel staff is wonderful. At the desk, Yvonne, Jordan, Kenny, Damaris, Dee, everyone has a smile, a pleasant hello, & is willing to help in every way. The lobby is very trendy, modern & full of color. A pool table, flat screen, pillowed couches, chairs, fireplace with soft lighting, a great bar area, snack bar and pool are all there when you walk in. Try to get an upper floor room the view is terrific. The rooms are wonderful. Its a combination of retro, modern, bold bright colors with space saving design. Large wall mounted flat screen. Beds with pillows like sleeping on a cloud. Great bathrooms with adjacent fridge safe & the best room coffee I've had in a long time. Separate toilet area & walk in glass shower. Excellent recessed lighting ad warmth to the room. The rooms, halls, elevators, and lobby areas are all very clean & well maintained. This is are wonderful hotel with a great staff. Aloft is both quality & a bargain.

Room Tip: I always call the front desk directly following my on line booking, weather it be the hotel site or...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 December 2013

Aloft, centrally located in uptown Charlotte, has a set up that fail proof. Modern, clean, comfortable and a great location. The one aspect I never thought would be lacking was the customer service. Our key card had to be re scanned on a daily basis. Every time we called the front desk for assistance, the vibe was more of a "hey what's up" rather than a "how may I help you". There was a lot of confusion during check out. The card that was put down during check in for a deposit of $50 was charged over $1,000 for a 4 night stay (2 nights of which we used complimentary room vouchers). When multiple calls were made, we were told they would call back after they looked into it. After a few more phone calls, since our calls took a long time to be returned, we followed up with them again. There was no apologies what so ever for the error on the hotel's behalf.

Long story short, they offered to compensate us for the night at the Ballantyne location. Well there was zero communication between locations so the Ballantyne location had no idea what was going on. It was just another headache to deal with but the Ballantyne staff was friendly and helpful, which helped to repair the terrible customer experience the uptown location gave us.

It was a shame to deal with the run around because Aloft does offer a nice product...

Room Tip: Request a corner room then you have two great views of the city.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
efleishaker, Guest Relations Manager at Aloft Charlotte Uptown at the EpiCentre, responded to this reviewResponded 3 January 2014

Hi Alana A A,
Thank you for sharing your feedback and for your loyalty to Aloft Hotels. I am pleased that you enjoyed our convenient and central location along with our modern setup. However, I’m sorry to hear that you had a negative experience regarding customer service. We strive to create a warm and welcoming environment for all guests, and I apologize you found inconveniences during your stay. Please contact our General Manager at jim.williams@aloftcharlotteuptown.com with any additional questions or concerns you may have. We would like to investigate your specific situation further to prevent this from occurring in the future.

Reviewed 25 November 2013

The views of the city from our room were beautiful. The shower was awesome. We walked to almost everywhere we needed to go. If we didn't walk the valet service was timely and courteous. We had a blast and can't wait to return.

• Stayed: November 2013
efleishaker, Guest Relations Manager at Aloft Charlotte Uptown at the EpiCentre, responded to this reviewResponded 30 November 2013

Hi coliesmom,
I’m glad you had a wonderful experience at our hotel. I’m pleased to hear you were able to take advantage of our convenient location and explore the exciting local area. There is so much to see and do, so next time you return please ask any of our helpful staff members for more recommendations! Come again soon.

Reviewed 19 November 2013

We stayed at aloft hotel for the Panthers and patriots game. I love the convenience of the hotel and the modern rooms! I think the staff was great to work with and was attentive to all of our needs. ( we had a lot of them) I do want to say I had some concerns about security. Anyone can come off the streets enter the hotel and your bedroom areas with no room key or questions asked. When we were walking home from the stadium 12:30am.Panther fans were mocking and taunting us all the way back to the hotel. I wish the security was better for guests and I hope this issue gets resolved soon.

• Stayed: December 2012