“Location can be both a positive and a negative”

Aloft Charlotte Uptown at the EpiCentre
Ranked #66 of 178 Hotels in Charlotte
Reviewed 14 February 2014

I stayed here with friends after a recent event at the Time Warner Cable arena. The hotel is very close to the arena, and it is very convenient to the restaurants and bars at the EpiCentre. For those amenities, it is a very good location. Unfortunately, if you anticipate staying on a Fri/Sat night and are on the side of the hotel facing the EpiCentre, the noise from some of the venues (particularly the clubs) can reduce your sleep quality. The staff were pleasant, the room was very clean, and if we had been able to sleep before 2 am, we would have been very pleased.

Room Tip: You may be able to request a room on the side opposite the clubs, which should enhance your sleep qu...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank jcbnc

Reviewed 4 February 2014

I loved everything about this place except for the really weird beds. They were quite low to the ground (OK by me but not good for old folks who are probably not staying here anyway), and were folded in such an odd way -- it was like they were short-sheeted. I had to burrow way down to make the bedding reach my shoulders, and I'm really short. Weird. Beyond that, great decor, cool Bliss bath products and excellent service.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank PaulaLB
Emily F, Guest Relations Manager at Aloft Charlotte Uptown at the EpiCentre, responded to this reviewResponded 4 March 2014

Hi PaulaLB,
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We always appreciate hearing about a guest’s experience. I’m happy to hear that you enjoyed our warm and welcoming hotel team in addition to the features and amenities of the hotel. I hope the guestroom beds did not cause any inconveniences during your stay. We hope to see you again next time you are in town!

Reviewed 1 February 2014

Ok....where do I start? We live in charlotte. About 2 times a year, we get 24 hours of respite. We have an extremely medically fragile child. But to make things a little more exciting, my husband is a quadriplegic. We excitedly drove uptown for Respite yesterday afternoon. When it came to parking, the valet parking refused to park our car in the epic center, due to hand controls on our car. So we park ourselves. Understand that we explained, they can drive it like anyone else with the pedals. I drive it all the time. But we respected their concerns. We got to Aloft. Asked about their AAA rate, was denied it unless AAA travel agency reserved it. Honestly, we were not impressed after all the hype. But we got to our reserved in advance handicap room. Room is very choppy. Obviously that is the norm in that hotel, but an accessible room should be an exception. The bed was about a foot an a half off the ground. DH could not transfer from bed to chair. We tried it out before officially unpacking bags. Understand husband is very strong and even plays quad rugby. Let's see, 10 seconds later, husband landed on floor. Not happy, called front desk, checked out immediately. Paid 6 dollars for parking after being there 35 minutes. By the way, called Southpark Marriot and got a beautiful room at AAA rate for 101! Hmmmmmm! Very frustrated with ALOFT!

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kcrisp1971
Emily F, Guest Relations Manager at Aloft Charlotte Uptown at the EpiCentre, responded to this reviewResponded 13 February 2014

Hi Kcrisp1971,

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience at our hotel. I sincerely apologize that your stay was not up to your expectations. We always strive to be aware and considerate of ADA requirements and standards, as our beds are never higher than 18 inches off the ground. While that is the case, I am sorry that your husband experienced difficulty. I reached out to the hotel team regarding your stay, and appreciate your feedback because it allows us to grow moving forward. We hope that the full hotel and parking refunds in addition to the option to switch to another room helped to ease some inconveniences. I’m sorry again and thank you for your review. Please feel free to contact our General Manager at jim.williams@aloftcharlotteuptown.com to discuss further.

Reviewed 30 January 2014

More for the Bohemian/Birkenstock crowd. Rooms are spartan, have only one chair (a desk chair at that) and are a bit on the small size. Reminds me of a European boutique hotel. Beds are comfortable but not excessively so. The light over the shower/toilet area is very dim and there's only one! The downstairs bar is nice. Rates are just OK, I paid $199 for one night. The hotel is centrally located to some fantastic downtown Charlotte restaurants, and a lot of them. There's no restaurant in the hotel, just an area that offers light snacks, etc. Valet parking only, no self-park, and it's $15 per night.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 26 January 2014

interesting hotel downtown Charlotte. no such easy to get there if you head on your own. service excellent, room ok and gym small but fine for no high sportmen... breakfast no at buffet.... no comfortable to sit and have it. meeting room fine for 20 people and good buffet at lunch.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 January 2014

Nice room, great view, good customer service! My daughter loved the artsy tile on the elevator floor. This hotel made our trip to Charlotte even better.The entire environment of the EpiCentre was a lot of fun.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank threekidsandtwocats
Reviewed 5 January 2014

First the location is great if you are hanging out downtown ( which we were) so that part was excellent. It is within walking distance from so many places. But beyond that there was nothing good. The room was small with stained carpet, lumpy beds, and a dirty shower. The overall appearance was fine if the room had been kept well. In the evening two of us went downstairs to the hotel bar to wait on the last friend before we went out. Awful experience!!! There were three customers at the bar and the bartender knew one of them and was sitting there chatting. She said she would be with us in a minute. After about 5 minutes she walked past us to help the customer at the other end of the bar who already had a drink. Then she was rearranging some bottles etc, while we just sat there. Finally I said to my friend we are leaving and as we walked away she says " oh did you need something?" so rude and unprofessional. After that we all left to go to dinner and drinks. Upon returning at the hotel the floor was being mopped so we tried to be careful where we stepped but the man cleaning was rude. After we all went up to the room one of my friends went to the car down in the parking garage and forgot her key. She was treated ruduly by staff upon coming back in. I will never stay there again, do not know if it was Charlotte location of the hotel chain itself that has poor service, but I won't risk it. With so many other great hotels around for the same price I will go where the service is good and the rooms are clean. For what we experienced it should have been the cheapest hotel around so i will stick with the Hilton or the Marriott downtown even if its another block away. But the Omni is across the street and I have always had a good experience there. I can handle a lot of things but out right rude staff is not one of them. But with that the next day when we checked out there was a different staff and they seemed more friendly. I like knowing I will get pleasant staff not just depending on the day.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Joanie M
Emily F, Guest Relations Manager at Aloft Charlotte Uptown at the EpiCentre, responded to this reviewResponded 5 February 2014

Hi Joanie M,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. I’m glad to hear that you enjoyed our convenient location and interacted with helpful staff on your second day, but I am sorry to hear that you were met with aspects of your visit that led to any dissatisfaction. I will share your feedback with the hotel team, as we aim to prevent this experience from occurring in the future.