“Peeling wallpaper”

Aloft Charlotte Uptown at the EpiCentre
Ranked #74 of 180 Hotels in Charlotte
Reviewed 18 March 2014

Peeling wallpaper in the room...torn wallpaper in the hallways...broken door to the bathroom... broken toilet paper holder. Sorry I picked this place.

Tip: ask for a room away from the street. Lot's of noise from buses and trucks.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Emily F, Guest Relations Manager at Aloft Charlotte Uptown at the EpiCentre, responded to this reviewResponded 5 April 2014

Hi Mike E,
Thank you for the taking the time to share your feedback. We take our reviews very seriously and always look for opportunities to grow moving forward. I shared your review with the team and apologize for any inconveniences you experienced regarding the noise.

Reviewed 15 March 2014

Great location and reliable aloft experience. It was nice to have plenty of restaurants within walking distance of the hotel.

Despite being on the "quiet side", outside noise was noticeable and I could hear the wind howling. Air conditioner also created some excessive noise. Upon arrival I was unsure where to park. The parking garage is shared with the Epicentre and cost $18 / night.

Overall, I enjoyed this hotel more than my stay at the Westin down the road but it was nothing to write home about. This hotel would be great for a weekend stay.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 14 February 2014

I stayed here with friends after a recent event at the Time Warner Cable arena. The hotel is very close to the arena, and it is very convenient to the restaurants and bars at the EpiCentre. For those amenities, it is a very good location. Unfortunately, if you anticipate staying on a Fri/Sat night and are on the side of the hotel facing the EpiCentre, the noise from some of the venues (particularly the clubs) can reduce your sleep quality. The staff were pleasant, the room was very clean, and if we had been able to sleep before 2 am, we would have been very pleased.

Room Tip: You may be able to request a room on the side opposite the clubs, which should enhance your sleep qu...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank jcbnc
Reviewed 4 February 2014

I loved everything about this place except for the really weird beds. They were quite low to the ground (OK by me but not good for old folks who are probably not staying here anyway), and were folded in such an odd way -- it was like they were short-sheeted. I had to burrow way down to make the bedding reach my shoulders, and I'm really short. Weird. Beyond that, great decor, cool Bliss bath products and excellent service.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank PaulaLB
Emily F, Guest Relations Manager at Aloft Charlotte Uptown at the EpiCentre, responded to this reviewResponded 4 March 2014

Hi PaulaLB,
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We always appreciate hearing about a guest’s experience. I’m happy to hear that you enjoyed our warm and welcoming hotel team in addition to the features and amenities of the hotel. I hope the guestroom beds did not cause any inconveniences during your stay. We hope to see you again next time you are in town!

Reviewed 1 February 2014

Ok....where do I start? We live in charlotte. About 2 times a year, we get 24 hours of respite. We have an extremely medically fragile child. But to make things a little more exciting, my husband is a quadriplegic. We excitedly drove uptown for Respite yesterday afternoon. When it came to parking, the valet parking refused to park our car in the epic center, due to hand controls on our car. So we park ourselves. Understand that we explained, they can drive it like anyone else with the pedals. I drive it all the time. But we respected their concerns. We got to Aloft. Asked about their AAA rate, was denied it unless AAA travel agency reserved it. Honestly, we were not impressed after all the hype. But we got to our reserved in advance handicap room. Room is very choppy. Obviously that is the norm in that hotel, but an accessible room should be an exception. The bed was about a foot an a half off the ground. DH could not transfer from bed to chair. We tried it out before officially unpacking bags. Understand husband is very strong and even plays quad rugby. Let's see, 10 seconds later, husband landed on floor. Not happy, called front desk, checked out immediately. Paid 6 dollars for parking after being there 35 minutes. By the way, called Southpark Marriot and got a beautiful room at AAA rate for 101! Hmmmmmm! Very frustrated with ALOFT!

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kcrisp1971
Emily F, Guest Relations Manager at Aloft Charlotte Uptown at the EpiCentre, responded to this reviewResponded 13 February 2014

Hi Kcrisp1971,

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience at our hotel. I sincerely apologize that your stay was not up to your expectations. We always strive to be aware and considerate of ADA requirements and standards, as our beds are never higher than 18 inches off the ground. While that is the case, I am sorry that your husband experienced difficulty. I reached out to the hotel team regarding your stay, and appreciate your feedback because it allows us to grow moving forward. We hope that the full hotel and parking refunds in addition to the option to switch to another room helped to ease some inconveniences. I’m sorry again and thank you for your review. Please feel free to contact our General Manager at jim.williams@aloftcharlotteuptown.com to discuss further.

Reviewed 30 January 2014

More for the Bohemian/Birkenstock crowd. Rooms are spartan, have only one chair (a desk chair at that) and are a bit on the small size. Reminds me of a European boutique hotel. Beds are comfortable but not excessively so. The light over the shower/toilet area is very dim and there's only one! The downstairs bar is nice. Rates are just OK, I paid $199 for one night. The hotel is centrally located to some fantastic downtown Charlotte restaurants, and a lot of them. There's no restaurant in the hotel, just an area that offers light snacks, etc. Valet parking only, no self-park, and it's $15 per night.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 26 January 2014

interesting hotel downtown Charlotte. no such easy to get there if you head on your own. service excellent, room ok and gym small but fine for no high sportmen... breakfast no at buffet.... no comfortable to sit and have it. meeting room fine for 20 people and good buffet at lunch.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business