“Nice Place - Things You Need To Know Before Staying Here”

Aloft Charlotte Uptown at the EpiCentre
Ranked #72 of 183 Hotels in Charlotte
Reviewed 5 May 2009

I just spent two nights at this hotel, and it is very nice in many ways, but there are things you need to know before staying here.

Parking: I personally don't mind paying extra for parking, but you need to know ahead of time that it is $20/night for valet and $10 if you park yourself. The valet is on College, not Trade, if you drive straight to 210 Trade you will need to loop around the Epicentre and find the valet on College, or route your trip so you come up College to avoid the ride around the block.

Room: We had a room with double beds and they were fine, we did have a third guest show up and instead of a cot or roll-away they have a twin size air mattress that they brought us (different, but it worked). I didn't find the a/c as bad as others, but I took the advice of someone else and turned the fan to on from the digital thermostat on the wall so that it would not be turning on an off during the night. A/C unit cannot be controlled on the unit itself, you have to use the thermostat. One complementary bottle of water in the room each day, and there is a small refrigerator under the sink which was a nice surprise. No drawers and very little "closet space", be prepared to live out of your suitcase.

Location/Nightlife: You could not ask for a much better location for going out in Uptown Charlotte. The Epicentre has many bars and restaurants and there are countless other options within a short walking distance. The hotel bar (which is in the lobby) was definitely a popular hangout for homosexual men on Friday night, that was not our scene so we moved on to the other bars quite promptly.

All in all it was a great trip and this hotel was quite a steal for $79/night (+Parking)

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with friends

Reviewed 22 April 2009

I will start off by saying that we found no basis for the negative comments posted about this hotel, with a few exceptions. We were looking for a reasonably priced hotel, centrally located so we could enjoy downtown Charlotte's bars and restaurants, and the Aloft is perfectly situated for that. The hotel does not have a large presence on the street, so it is a little difficult to find...you'll find it on College just up from Blackfinn's restaurant...there is a little valet sign on the street. The lobby is on the 5th floor of the building.

The lobby is very modern and colorful, fitting the image of a hip, youthful place to stay. It is definitely not stuffy. The receptionist, who was very polite and friendly, told us as we checked in that the entire lobby turned into a lounge at 5:00 p.m. We made a note to check it out and then went to our room. We had a king room, which we found to be compact but extremely well laid out...no space was wasted so we did not feel cramped. The bed was very comfortable, faced the windows and a large flat screen TV. The bathroom and the furnishings and textiles throughout the room were modern and appealing. I especially liked the shampoo and bodywash, which were provided in dispensers mounted on the shower wall, instead of in teeny little bottles on the sink. The bath products were quite nice. They also provide current magazines in the bathroom, including Spin, Wired and a couple of others. They were the latest editions.

We headed out in the late afternoon for some drinks, and the location of the hotel was very close to the places we wanted to go, including the two excellent Irish pubs, Connolly's and Ri Ra. After having a margarita and then a couple of pints, we headed back to the hotel to get ready for dinner. The lounge was starting to get busy, so we stopped in the lounge for mojitos before leaving the hotel again for dinner. The drinks were excellent and the lounge furniture was extremely comfortable, and of course the wait staff was friendly. We had another round of mojitos after returning from dinner.

We slept reasonably well, although there is a club in the Epicenter that was busy until after 2:00, and we could hear the music even on the hotel's 15th floor. Also, the plush, down duvet on the bed was a little too warm for me and I would have liked to have had another, thinner blanket to choose from.

We definitely would return to this hotel, and will stay there again the next time we are in Charlotte. Unlike most downtown hotels, the wi-fi at the Aloft was free, and they even gave us a free bottle of water in the room. Most places would charge an outrageous price for that.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ccline38
Reviewed 20 April 2009

I stayed at this hotel with a group of girls in April for a Bachelorette party. The location of the hotel is great for going out in downtown Charlotte. The hotel is located at the Epi Centre and the first 3 or 4 floors of the hotel are part of the Epi Centre and the hotel lobby is on the 5th floor. The rooms were fairly small and the walls were paper thin. We could hear everything going on in the room next to us and everything going on the hall. The only thing that helped block out the noise was the really loud AC unit. If you are looking for a hotel that is close to everything downtown, this hotel is a great choice. If you are looking for something a little more relaxing and quiet, you may want to look elsewhere.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank LuckyCharm09
Reviewed 6 April 2009

There were several good things about this hotel:
1. The shower was great. Nice water pressure.
2. Beautiful view of the city
3. Great location downtown. We were within walking distance to the Convention Center, where my daughter played volleyball that weekend, and lots of great restaurants.
4. The room allowed me to hook up my portable dvd player and watch movies on the flat screen TV.
5. There was a beautiful view of the city. We stayed on the 7th floor.
There were several bad things:
1. You have to ride the elevator to the 5th floor in order to reach the hotel lobby.
2. The air condition was so loud it would wake you up at night.
3. If someone turned the light on in the bathroom, it showed in the sleeping area and would wake you up.
4. The walls were paper thin. You could hear people talking in the hall using normal voices. You could also hear the street traffic outside. I had to wear ear plugs.
5. The lobby looked like a party area. At night the lights were dim and candles were lit and there was loud music playing.
6. The bed was hard and you were provided with 2 small pillows for a king size bed.
This hotel is for young people who like to party and/or who don't mind not sleeping. It is not peaceful at all. I would not recommend it to anyone. The entrance to the hotel is on S. College Street with only a small sign in front of it. My 15 year old loved the pool table in the lobby.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with family
3  Thank Charleston44
Reviewed 30 March 2009

Sorry so long, but I had to get it off my chest!!
The Review: Upon perusing the Aloft website, the hotel images were fantastic. So we were very excited to visit Charlotte for a weekend of fun from Virginia (5 hr drive). We arrived at the hotel and searched and searched for available parking (very confusing due to the lack of signage) and not to mention we had to PAY for parking at a hotel..??? Neverthless, we were hopeful because we knew the hotel would brightened our experience after a long boring drive. Upon approaching the front desk, there was no employee attending the desk. We understood, it was 2am!... So we were patient but eventually, we had to ask the bartender to call someone up. After an additional 10 minute wait, a very annoyed gentleman came sashaying around the corner and his first words to us were..... not "Welcome to Aloft!" or "We're happy to have you!", oh no, his first words to us were "You're lucky you caught me because I was about to start my auditing...." My boyfriend and I looked at each other in bewilderment, thinking.... what did we do to him??? Are'nt we the customers?? While waiting to be checked in we overheard this employee answer a phone call and was rude as HELL to a guest inquiring about local pizza delivery options.. We were stunned!!! So moving forward, we arrived on the 9th floor and noticed that the hallway carpets appeared as if they had not been vacumned in 3 days (no exhaggeration). We opened the door and the room was awesome, really cool and swanky! So we had a great time in Charlotte. We even had a positive experience with another female employee that worked during the day on Saturday (extremely helpful, we were shocked because we thought all of Alofts employees were rude!!).

We were informed that our checkout would be 1pm on Sunday, so to my surprise, while preparing to leave the room we got a call from a familiar voice that blared through the phone at 1:07pm, "When do you guys plan on checking out seeing as how checkout was an hour and a half ago?" Really!!!! The attitude was totally unacceptable. I thought to myself 'this voice sounds like the exact same voice that told us checkout was at 1pm and now somehow it changed to 11:30am?? ALOFT GET IT TOGETHER!
So we came downstairs to checkout and noticed that it was that same rude gentleman.. I kindly walked over and asked his name, he replied Isaac.

The Reality: Isaac is the reason that we will never stay at Aloft again. We were initially booked @ The Doubletree and even cancelled that reservation to have an 'Aloft Experience'. It was the worst mistake of our weekend. During the drive home we pondered over our experience and pretty much deduced that it was Isaac and not Aloft, all of the other employees were very friendly. This guy is the epitome of a horrible customer experience.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
4  Thank ch152034
Reviewed 25 March 2009

Stayed 3/22 - 3/25. Have been to Charlotte dozens of time and chose this as it was brand new. The best thing to say is it was clean. Much has already been said. Small rooms, no comfortable work area, thin walls (you can hear them open and close their shades in the room next door), and the heating system is maddeningly loud. In addition, while I appreciate flourescent lights they use the very cool temperature lights, and combined with the grey color scheme it is downright depressing.

Incredibly disappointed for a Starwood Hotel. While you can excuse the 'style and decor' of the room, there is no excuse for the volume of the heating system or the soundproof nature (or lack thereof) of the walls.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 24 March 2009

I typically stay at the Westin in Charlotte as I travel there often on long term projects however one of my colleagues told me about the new trendy Aloft hotel. I stayed at the hotel for 2 weeks about 4 nights each week. Everyone really liked the feel for the hotel as it was modern and very hip. The location was great for us as clients met us at their bar xyz I think it was called that played good music and a great environment for us to have a good time. We were able to also just hop on the elevator and take them out to flemmings which was nice and the entire block was full cool bars and things to do so we never had to drive.

No room service but breakfast was a pretty good value and they have food available all day and night which worked out well. Wi-fi was awesome and you can plug into the 42 inch tv and use as a monitor which was great for some folks on the project team as we were able to see our data and work in our rooms.

Great service everytime you called the desk and everyone had the southern charm!

Definitely going back in May as the project is expanding......

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled on business