“Excellent location and great hotel”

Aloft Charlotte Uptown at the EpiCentre
Ranked #69 of 180 Hotels in Charlotte
Reviewed 5 August 2010

Aloft is a cool, trendy hotel with an excellent location. My room was fairly large, with new and modern textiles, a large flatscreen TV, safe, coffee maker, fridge and AC. I had a great view of the centre of Charlotte.

Aloft is a prt of the Epicentre, which is the hot spot in town, with restaurants, bars, movie theatre and live bands playing outdorrs on weekends. It located about 200 meters from Time Warner Cable Arena.

It has a hip bar, computers for guests in the lobby, food and drinks available all day and night (bagels, sandwiches, salads, soft drinks) and a small swimming pool with a great view.

If you're going to Charlotte, this is the place to stay!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled solo
Jimaloft, General Manager at Aloft Charlotte Uptown at the EpiCentre, responded to this reviewResponded 31 August 2010

Dear Summer_angel04,
Thank you for your comments! Our team appreciates hearing from guests that "get" the Aloft vision. We were designed to be a savvy alternative to the "cookie-cutter" hotel. We accept that the style and service may not appeal to everyone; I'm just thankful that it appealed to you! Hopefully we will have an opportunity of serving you again soon.

Reviewed 9 July 2010

This is a very modern, attractive and comfortable hotel.

Right from the start entering the lobby you will notice its city-chic and 'hip' style. The rooms are fairly spacious with a nice sized bed, a massive flatscreen HD tv, free wifi, a big walk in shower, coffee maker with herbal teas too, and very decent toiletries from Bliss.

The bed was really comfortable and to be honest the stay only had three faults.

First off is the noise. You can hear noise from the room next to you VERY easily. The walls seem paper thin. Also the windows dont seem very well glazed as the sound from the city ouside comes through your windows. If you are to stay on the side of the hotel nearer to the epicentre attractions, I would expect it to be really noisey.

Second off there is NO FREE PARKING! And the Epicentre parking is EXPENSIVE. It costs $20 a day for valet parking meaning you can come and go as you please. The city is full of car parks and you can find somewhere a few blocks away to park cheaper. But dont expect to find any free parking nearby.

We parked on 7th street where it is $5 a day, and would walk along the tram(train) line direct to the hotel, it was a simple option. But I also know if you go out to one of the tram (LYNX) stations outside the city they have a park and ride facility with free parking just the cost of a LYNX ticket.

Finally, the issue is the lifts/elevator. There are two elevators serving the Hotel to get back down into the Epicentre-be prepared to wait at least 5 minutes for one to show up!

The hotel is right in the Epicentre which is a brand new district with bars, restaurants, cinema, and bowling alley. It is very attractive and full of young people and partiers. If you're perhaps an older couple or like somewhere less in the middle of a 'club like atmosphere' I wouldnt recommend the hotel.

But if you want all sorts to do right on the doorstep, the bus/lynx right there, a brilliant modern funky hotel - and can stand the noise of the corridors and neighbours (as well as the city), then its the place for you!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 June 2010

We stayed at this hotel this past weekend for our one year anniversary. I'll start with the positive...the location was wonderful!! The epicentre is so nice and has something for everyone. We were never bored! The room was clean and nicely laid out. We expected a smaller room, (since it is a LOFT hotel!) so the fact that it was a little cramped didn't bother us so much. The staff was friendly and helpful with anything we wanted and aimed to accomodate us.
Now for the Negative...the reason we chose this paticular hotel was because of the pet "ammenities" it offered. It was one of the few-if not only- hotel that didn't have any kind of pet deposit or fee. We were greeted with a treat bag. We were told we get a pet bed and toys, but we only go the small bag. It wasn't a huge deal since we had our own dog bed and toys, however we were promised things we didn't receive. The main problem we had however, was the 4 blocks you have to walk to find any kind of grassy area for potty trips. You would think a hotel known for pet amminites would atleast have a small area for our babies to "do their business". During the day, the four block walk wasn't that bad, however when our baby had to potty at 3am, walking 4 blocks was a safety hazzard. Also, parking was a huge issue and actually finding the hotel was difficult. However, once you do find it, valet was very helpful and willing to help in any way possible.
All in all, we might come back but definitely not if traveling with my sweet beagle, Lucy.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
Jimaloft, General Manager at Aloft Charlotte Uptown at the EpiCentre, responded to this reviewResponded 29 June 2010

Dear bkd_1123,

Thank you for your comments. I am pleased to hear that the service you experienced was friendly and helpful and that the hotel room was clean and nicely laid out. I agree that the EpiCentre is a great location for things to do. Unfortunately, this great Uptown location does not come with much "grassy area" for convenient walking of dogs. The good news for pet lover's is that walk areas not withstanding, our hotel has been ranked by several publications as the "Best Pet-Friendly Hotel in Charlotte". I apologize for the inconvenience you experienced at 3am when needing to let Lucy out. When returning to Charlotte I hope this experience will not keep you from spending another night with us.

Reviewed 27 June 2010

Just got back from my weekend stay at the Aloft Charlotte Uptown at EpiCentre, and I was very pleased with this Hotel. First, let me go over all the positives....Location, Location, Location ! This Hotel is located right in the heart of it all in the "Uptown Area" of Charlotte....the complex that it's in " Epicentre" is filled with various restaurants, nightclubs, a bowling alley, movie theatre, etc......it's also within walking distance of many other attractions in the Uptown Charlotte area.....so the location was fantastic ! The Hotel itself was very nice, with a nice small lounge, small snack bar, and even a pool table on the main lobby of the hotel ( which is actually on the 5th floor of the building). Our room was very modern looking and had a great flat screen TV, beds were comfortable, and the bathroom and shower were fine, and included Dispensers in the shower with Shower Soap and Shampoo. While others have complained about the A/C being load, we did not find it a problem. Also, we had no major issues with noise, probably since our room did not face the courtyard area of the complex where they have all the clubs and sometimes and outdoor band, etc. The Staff at the hotel was great also, since I needed some special arrangements since I am on Dialysis and had to have some of my Dialysis supplies shipped to the hotel to be there for my arrival, and everything was in my room when I checked in. As mentioned in other reviews, there is no room service at this hotel, which did not matter to us, and there was a small snack bar area with drinks and snacks in the hotel lobby you could purchase , and there were plenty of restaurants in the Epicentre Complex to get food at , so this was a non- issue for us. The room also came with a small fridge, and a coffee maker with coffee/tea. So as far as the Hotel and the room, we were very pleased. Now for the downside, the address of the hotel is not really the listed address that is on their web site, since that is the address for the entire Epicentre Complex. The Hotel itself is located on the 5th Floor of the Epicentre Complex, and the Hotel that takes you there from Street Level is on the Corner of East 4th and South College. I was aware of this, and programmed that intersection into my GPS unit, and it took me right to the Spot where the Valet Parking is and the Elevator that takes you to the Hotel from Street Level. We Valet Parked, and if you are driving , I strongly recommend you Valet Park. It's $20 for the entire day to Valet Park, and you have in and out privileges . Once you drop your car off at the Valet Parking Spot then you have to lug your luggage to the elevator and up to the 5th floor. When we arrived there were no luggage carts at the Valet Stand, so this made it a little bit of a pain, so be prepared that you may have to haul your stuff up without a cart, or wait till a cart becomes available. There is also self parking available , but from what I read its even a bigger pain to get to the hotel lobby with your luggage from self parking, and you don't have in and out privileges with self parking.....so I think Valet Parking is the way to go....So overall, great hotel, awesome location, make sure you know where the actual entrance of the hotel is since it's easy to miss if you just use the address on their web site in your gps, etc...and parking was a little of a pain, but we know what to expect and the Valet Parking Service is the way to go.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with friends

Dear Djgaryb11,

Thank you for sharing your comments relative to your stay with us. I am pleased to read of your experience; favorable comments about our talent are always welcome and appreciated! Having your dialysis supplies in your room for your arrival is an example of how hard our team works to create raving fans. Relative to the comments you heard regarding "loud A/C units", I am glad that you did not find that to be an issue as we have recently replaced every unit to ensure a quieter operating system. Please accept my apology for the challenges you experienced getting in and out; our 5th floor lobby is certainly unique to most hotels from an arrival perspective. I look forward to serving you again soon!

Reviewed 22 June 2010

My sister and I stayed for a week-end. We were in Charlotte to surprise my niece for her birthday. She held her party at Aloft which is why we decided to stay. First of all we didn't know how to enter the hotel, turns out you go into a parking garage and go up an elevator to the 5th floor lobby.
Kim, the desk person, was super nice. My luggage was lost and she spent 30 minutes on the phone with the airline getting information for me. There was a group from a skateboard convention in the lounge area which is right there at the check in desk. There were dogs running around and general chaos. She assured us our room would be on a quiet floor.
Since we were staying in a downtown hotel we were surprised there were really no amenities at the hotel. No drawers to keep you things, no restaurant, etc. There was a soap and shampoo dispenser in the shower and that was it. Even paper cups in the room instead of glasses.
We did not feel it was a good value for the money. We were wishing we would have stayed at one of the other nearby hotels. Nice view of the city though.
All and all we did not have a good feeling about the place.

• Stayed: June 2010

Dear Col515,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts regarding your stay with us. I am encouraged that you perceived our staff to be exceptionally helpful. Staying in a hotel during a city-wide skateboarding event brings with it some challenges I'm sure. I understand that the lack of "typical" amenities wasn't to your liking; the Aloft hotel brand is a new and unique alternative to the average hotel. Though we offer numerous services and benefits that are unique to our competition, such as state of the art in-room technology, stand-alone showers with shampoo and conditioner dispensers and contemporary furnishings, I understand the lack of typical dressers and bottled shampoo does make some guests a little uncomfortable. Please accept my apology for any inconvenience. I look forward to an opportunity of serving you again soon.

Reviewed 14 June 2010

Charlotte is a beautiful city and the Aloft Hotel at the EpiCentre puts you right where the action is. That can be a good or a bad thing. The EpiCentre is an adult entertainment complex which means the weekends are filled with loud drunk people vomiting in the elevators and running through the hallways. Take my advice and request a room higher up and facing away from the bars. During the week the hotel can be peaceful. The rooms at the Aloft are small but nice and trendy. They are badly designed sound wise though and you can hear everything happening in the halls and in the rooms next to you. The front desk staff is extremely friendly, but the cleaning staff is often flippant about their jobs and will randomly miss rooms for no reason. After specifically talking to the head of cleaning about getting my room cleaned every day they STILL missed my room several times. When they did clean it was very poorly done... basically just making the bed and changing the towels. The BIGGEST design flaw of this hotel though is that the lobby starts on the fifth floor and you have to take an elevator to the lobby and then get off and take another elevator to your room. The first elevator to the lobby is shared with the entire complex so especially on the nights that there were street festivals (there were two the month I was there) it will take you hours to get up just to the lobby (there are no stair options from the first floor). Parking can also be hard to get into when there are festivals. But I think if you are going to go for two days this hotel can be fine. Just choose another option if you are going to stay long term. My feeling is that this is a newer hotel in every way and that in a few years it will be the fantastic hotel it deserves to be.

Stayed: June 2010, travelled on business

Dear Speksy,

Please accept my sincere apology for the challenges you encountered as a long-term guest at our hotel. I am delighted to read that our Aloha talent was extremely friendly; I'm very proud of the men and women who serve our guests. As a hotel that''s literally in the "middle of it all", we have both the benefit of a fabulous Uptown location, but admittedly have some challenges from time to time with the volume of people that come through the EpiCentre. I agree that for one or two nights you will not likely find a better place if you desire to stay in a vibrant, "happening", location. Hopefully you will give another opportunity of serving you soon.

Reviewed 13 June 2010

I stayed at Aloft Uptown Charlotte from the 19th May till 2nd June 2010 and it was FANTATSTIC. A friend and I were visiting from Scotland in part to attend the NASCAR All Star Race and the Coca Cola 600.

We arrived at the hotel which was only a short drive from the airport around 5:30pm and were welcomed warmly by reception staff. Check in was the quickest I have experienced at any hotel almost as if they were expecting us to walk through the door at that minute.

We were allocated a room on the 11th floor which had great views and fantastic amenities. The room came with 2 queen beds – very comfortable with great pillows, a large flat screen wall mounted TV with access to 60+ television channels complete with pay per view access to many new releases. It also had a nifty gadget attached to it which allowed you to hook your iPod up to the TV and play music through it (they supply the cables if you do not have one).

The bathroom was lovely with a huge shower and full length mirrors – in fact the room generally had great mirrors and lighting something that is usually always lacking in hotels.

Everything had been thought of at Aloft – the bar area was lovely, there was a small shop area always stocked with fresh fruits, cereals, salads, coffees and several different breakfast foods each morning. The staff were so helpful, so friendly and always seemed to remember you from the last time they had spoken to you.

The location of the hotel is fabulous for exploring the city and enjoying its great night life. Aloft is situated within the Epicentre complex which houses some great restaurants and bars such as NASCAR driver Dale Earnhardt Jr’s Whisky River.

Aloft was a great example of Southern Hospitality.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with friends
2  Thank Ashleigh78

Dear fussy_hotel_goer,

Thank you for sharing your experience at aloft Charlotte Uptown at the EpiCentre. Our talent works hard to create raving fans and it is always a pleasure to read about times when we've succeeded. Hopefully we'll have an opportunity of serving you again soon!