“Good Airport Hotel”

Renaissance Charlotte Suites Hotel
Ranked #41 of 178 Hotels in Charlotte
Reviewed 24 December 2011

I have twice stayed at the Renaissance Charlotte Suites and both times service was superior and the rooms were excellent. Close proximity to the airport makes this hotel perfect for travellers to Douglas International Airport. The shuttle was on time and the driver was very professional. Room service was very good and the breakfast buffet was excellent as well. The staff at the hotel works very hard to keep guests happy. You can feel the southern hospitality at this hotel. My room was modern and clean thus I would rate this hotel very high. If you are going to stay close to the Charlotte airport this is about as good as you are going to find.

Room Tip: Rooms come with a small kitchen so you can bring food and juice up to your room.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
MSchwantner, General Manager at Renaissance Charlotte Suites Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 January 2012

When looking for a hotel we know that location is key, and we are happy you where able to find everything you needed within minutes away from our location. We look forward to serving you again in the near future. Thank you for selecting our hotel!

Reviewed 19 December 2011

There is nothing wrong with this hotel if you had arrived here 20 years ago when it was new. However, now, the carpet is old, the paint is old, the dining options limited and the prices are expensive. It needs a refresh with so many better more affordable alternatives nearby (i.e. the Hampton Inn and Sheraton that are just north of the airport are both nice and more affordable in general).

On the plus side - good shuttle to the airport, the fitness room is in good shape with new equipment, and the staff is generally helpful if not friendly. Full TV selection including showtime and "suite" style rooms.

On the negative side, very dated, looks and appears worn, they charge for wifi unless you work a deal in advance, and the food in the restaurant and bar is at best ok - but nothing special - and is over-priced.

Personally, I would rather stay at the Hampton which lacks the amenities but it is very clean and comfortable and has a great staff. If you want full amenties I would recommend the Sheraton.

• Stayed: December 2011
1  Thank Apex1k

Thank you for taking the time to write a review in regards to your stay at the Renaissance Charlotte Suites Hotel. I am fully aware that you have many choices in hotels, and we are grateful to have taken the time to inform us of the experience at our hotel. We will review your concerns with the appropriate staff member (s), and we welcome the opportunity of serving you again.

Reviewed 13 December 2011

I booked two rooms in Sept 2011 for a business seminar in Dec. 2011. Specified two King rooms and had confirmation of such. Arrived at 11 am on morning of check in and was informed that they were sold out of king rooms. I was given a queen handicapped room and my companion a regular room. Her room had ants in the bathroom as well as something green in the sink . Also as a silver Marriott rewards member I asked for a late checkout and was very rudely told by the front desk that she was only allowed to grant five requests and had already granted two so unless I was a gold member or above, I was out of luck. Too bad this seminar is held here every year. Definitely wouldn't waste my money here by choice. In fact, seriously considering traveling further to attend same seminar in another city. This is the second year in a row my two month old room requests were not honored.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 December 2011

My husband and I stayed at this hotel over the weekend for one weekend night. It started out wonderful! The hotel was beautiful and quiet even though it appeared to be full by the cars in the parking lot. It is a great location near the airport and business district. The check-in process was a bit confusing as I was standing there for a few minutes with my infant son and someone else had just walked up and was helped before I was because I was standing at another kiosk (even after the attendent had acknowledged me and told me he would be right wiht me). I didn't like this but it wasn't a huge deal. The room was beautiful and functional. We were so tired that we got in and went right to bed. The next morning we went down for the buffet breakfast (this costs extra) but it was really good with cooked to order items being offered also. We returned back to the room to catch a nap before the 12 noon check-out deadline and when I picked up the pillow that I had been sleeping on the night before there was dry blood on the pillowcase! I pulled the sheets all the way backa nd there was dried blood on the sheets in the bed that we had slept in! We immediately called downstairs and an assistant manager and housekeeping representative came up and confirmed this was indeed what it was. She apologized and offered us lunch for our trouble!!! REALLY?!?! She stated that the manager that could compensate us for our "troubles" was not in on Sunday and he would call us on Monday. It is Tuesday and we haven't heard anything. I had an extremely high opinion of the Renaissance brand before this happened and now my husband will not return...I will update this review if anything changes...

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank LadyLuck2008
Reviewed 2 December 2011

I'm currently staying at the hotel and haven't been impressed by the room or the service....at least not by the service in the restaurant. Check in was great...Navigator was friendly. Overall the hotel had a feel of an Embassy but fell short of expectations. Made it to the room and overall loved the size of the room...cleanliness was good. Bathroom twice the size of what I expected, pleased. Decor mainly wall vinyl and carpet made the room feel dated...case good were from the 80's. HDTV and channel line up great. Had lunch and the food was good but the service average. Had drinks and app's in the bar...over prices....$10 for 1 crab cake, yikes! I would stay here again if i were in the area but it would not be my first choice.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
MSchwantner, General Manager at Renaissance Charlotte Suites Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 December 2011

Thank you for taking the time to write a review in regards to your stay at the Renaissance Charlotte Suites Hotel. Receiving feedback from our guest enables us to improve on how we need to accommodate all of our guest a little better upon each visit. We appreciate you taking the time to tell us about your stay, and we welcome the opportunity of serving you again in the near future.

Reviewed 28 November 2011

The location of this hotel near the airport and in an office park, it's obvious that it caters to traveling business people. My stay was on a weekend in conjunction with a youth soccer team. The suites in this hotel consist of a bedroom with a living area. The living area has a sofa bed. The layout is similar to Embassy Suites. The bedroom has an actual door that can be closed. The bathroom is roomy with a separate toilet area. The room included a microwave and refrigerator. Beds were clean an comfortable. There's a separate thermostat to control the room temp.

The hotel is an open-atrium style, where all of the rooms open onto an inner hallway that circles the central (9-story) atrium. With the hotel full of kids, there was a lot of noise in the living area of the suite. It was quieter in the bedroom area. I also thought that the ventilators over the doorway let in a lot of sound -- they appeared to just be a grating that opened directly onto the atrium (not ductwork).

There are large floor-to-ceiling windows from each room facing that hallway. It's very easy for someone walking by to see into your room, even though the windows are equipped with privacy curtains.

Internet was a pricy $12.95/day. They say 24 hours of internet, but I got charged again when the calendar changed at midnight, even though I'd only signed onto the internet at 9 PM, so you only get 24 hours of internet if you happen to start your usage at 12:01 AM.

There is no free breakfast here. The buffet was good, with a variety of hot, freshly-prepared favorites as well as fresh fruit and continental choices. Table service was mediocre.

The pool and exercise room are about what you would expect in a hotel of this type - indoor, heated pool with hot tub; Treadmills, free weights and bicycle machines in the exercise area.

I'd probably stay here again if I were in the area. There weren't a lot of restaurants in the immediate vicinity, but as others have said, South Park is relatively close (I'd put it at something like 15-20 minutes on a busy weekend), and there are a ton of options even closer than that -- just not walking distance.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
MSchwantner, General Manager at Renaissance Charlotte Suites Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 November 2011

Receiving feedback from our guest enables us to improve in areas of concern. Guest satisfaction is one of our major goals, and we appreciate you taking the time to tell us about your stay. Thank you for selecting our hotel, and we look forward to serving you again in the near future!

Reviewed 26 November 2011

My husband and i live in Charlotte. Being Thanksgiving weekend and the fact that we were headed for the carribean on Saturday, we were worried about parking at the airport. We decided to spend the night at the Ren. The hotel allows park and ride to the airport, so now we don't have to worry about a parking place.

We arrived about 4 and had the fastest checkin ever. We were given certificates for breakfast buffet aince concierge was closed. We then had a split of wine and a wheel of brie in room.

Went down to dinner and had a reasonably priced steak dinner and our favorite Duckhorn wine at $14 a class. Usually $70 a bottle.

When you leave your car they like a view from the lobby but no places available. This morning the phone rang telling us there was a better stop.

Very good service, friendly staff and comfortable.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
MSchwantner, General Manager at Renaissance Charlotte Suites Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 November 2011

We are glad that you had such a wonderful experience during your stay. We appreciate you taking the time to tell us about your stay, and we welcome the opportunity of serving you again in the near future.