“Clean, comfortable updated---nice for a large group”

Renaissance Charlotte Suites Hotel
Ranked #63 of 183 Hotels in Charlotte
Reviewed 20 February 2011

We stayed two nights at the Renaissance Charlotte Suites in February for a school related athletic event. It is laid out like an Embassy Suites and I think I had read that it used to be an Embassy Suites. The hotel is clean and nicely decorated. The furnishings appear new and the beds are comfortable. We ordered room service twice which was good (but not great) and it arrived promptly both times. I would have preferred if the breakfast buffet had been included in the price of the room like an Embassy Suites but it was adequate and certainly less crowded than the typical Embassy Suites breakfast. We were with a large group and someone in our party had secured a room to use as a hospitality suite which was a great place to store food and for the children too meet. Our beds were comfortable...they hadn't been made up by the time we returned to our room at 1pm so I went to the front desk and asked if we could have housekeeping there by 4 and the room was made up with fresh towels and sheets when returned again. The bathroom was nice and spacious...room for two which is important to me when traveling with small children. There was a tub/shower combination. In several hotels I have stayed in recently, there has just been a shower which makes it much more difficult when traveling with small children.
The only negative came at the end of the trip. When I arrived there were no bellhops available to help us with our luggage and I asked the front desk to secure a luggage cart for me. I was given the luggage cart without a problem. When it was time to leave, I went down to get a luggage cart and they wouldn't let me have it. They insisted that a bellhop had to bring it to my room and help me with my luggage. I had not kept cash on hand to tip the bellhop (as they had not provided this service at check in) and felt uncomfortable having him perform this service without a tip. They did come to the room promptly but I felt uncomfortable not tipping and I think the bellhop was disappointed as well. I got the feeling that the front desk was just trying to drum up business for the bellhops which only work certain times. Overall, though, it is a fine hotel and we had a great time.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with family

Reviewed 22 January 2011

This hotel is in a business park not too far from the airport. There is nothing within walking distance so you will not be walking to a restaurant or a convenience store.

There are closer airport hotels but this isn't too far. Walking in you would swear that you are in the lobby of an Embassy Suites - an old beat up Embassy Suites. It has that atrium, internal walkways, one elevator so you walk a long way to the other side set up. The rooms are the same canned ES style. It's not bad - but it's not a great set up either. The room was tired. The furniture looked like it was ready to be replaced. The bathtub had no stopper.

The funny thing is that the staff were excellent. I was quite surprised that the hotel was as tired as it is given the quality of the front desk.

Overall it was a place to sleep for one night. The rooms were clean. I wouldn't refuse to stay here again. But I'd be more likely to return if they spent a little cash renovating.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 January 2011

This hotel was well kept up and the rooms were gorgeous. We were in a one bedroom suite and were pleasantly surprised by Aveda bath products, comfortable bed, and the cleanliness of everything. They offer a free shuttle to the airport which was the icing on the cake. We will definitely stay here again when we are back in Charlotte.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 December 2010

My husband and I stayed at the Renaissance before an early morning flight. I selected the hotel because of the price and proximity to the airport. We were pleasantly surprised by all of the extras that this hotel offered. Check in was a breeze, and Sarah at the front desk was very pleasant and helpful. The hotel had complimentary apple cider in the lobby which was a perfect treat on the snowy night. The lobby was tastefully decorated and had a nice bar area. Our room was great-- on the eighth floor-- and was much bigger than I was expecting. It was two connecting rooms. The first room had a couch, flat screen TV and kitchenette. The second room had a king bed, desk area and another flat screen TV. The bathroom amenities were Aveda products. Everything in the room was very clean and felt new. We checked out the pool area and gym and everything seemed nice. I would definitely stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: December 2010
Reviewed 8 December 2010

I stayed three nights for a business trip. The hotel is upscale in atmosphere with professional staff. My suite was extremely comfortable with a convenient layout of the rooms. The breakfast buffet has a good variety, but the quality of the food is just so-so. I found lots of good restaurants near the South Park Mall, just a short drive away, and the hotel is convenient to the airport and major highways.

The biggest complaint was that the public areas were very cold. I visited during an unusually cold spell in Charlotte, and the central tower arrangement of the hotel meant that cold air was sucked in through the front doors and stayed in the lobby, bar and restaurant areas. I had to bundle up - literally - every time I went downstairs. The business center was an ice box. Several guests complained, but it was still unheated the entire time I was there.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 December 2010

Great hotel with very friendly front desk agents. They also act as a concierge and have driving directions and menus at hand. That was very convenient because they were able to point us to an excellent mall and dinning area called South Park.

I was very impressed with the room. For only $99 I felt like I was staying in very upscale hotel on a bargain price! The living room was very well furnished with a comfortable sofa and oversized desk and nice flat screen TV. There is also a small mini-bar area with microwave and refrigerator. Excellent location near the airport, but not too far from downtown.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 December 2010

Generally a good property with a helpful staff...location is near the airport but not close to any real services (restaurants, shopping, etc). Seems like this was once an Embassy Suites given the room configuration. Furniture in the room should be updated...some of it was worn. Otherwise a pretty solid hotel.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Charlotte
Barclay Downs
Renaissance Charlotte SouthPark Hotel
Embassy Suites by Hilton Charlotte
Hilton Garden Inn Charlotte Airport
Hyatt Place Charlotte Airport/Lake Pointe

Been to Renaissance Charlotte Suites Hotel? Share your experiences!