“Not up to snuff this trip”

Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Charlotte Airport
Ranked #140 of 178 Hotels in Charlotte

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Philadelphia
Reviewed 26 July 2014

I spent one night at this filthy hotel in July. Was supposed to stay for three nights, but I checked-out after the first night.

It was a bad sign when I saw how dirty the carpet was behind the front desk while checking in. The sign on the wall behind the front desk was missing several letters "Mic ot l", or something close to that.

The lady at the front desk lacked basic communication skills.

The room itself was a train wreck. I think I noticed the smell first: a strange mix of cigarette smoke, mildew, and possibly diesel fuel(?).

The carpet was years past needing to be replaced. Worn through, filthy, and unvacuumed; there were literally crumbs all over the floor (possibly Cheetos?).

There was a six inch diameter cigarette burn in the couch cushion. It had burned all the way through the fabric and partially melted the foam cushion inside.

Two of the dresser drawer fronts had been broken off and were missing. This would have allowed for easy access to my clothes if I had risked putting them in there.

The fridge door was smashed in as if someone had recently been repeatedly kicking it.

The toilet was sitting at an unusual angle, a fact that was explained later when I sat down and realized that the bolts that hold the toilet to the floor were missing. The toilet base was being held loosely in place by the wax ring (I believe).

The anchors that hold the shower curtain rod had been pulled out of the drywall on one end. Someone made a half-hearted attempt to repair this by gently placing the rod back into the previous drywall holes. This fact became painfully apparent when I tried to open the shower curtain in the morning to step in the tub, and the entire assembly came crashing down.

The worst part however, was when I went to get into the bed. As I pulled the sheets back (using one of the hangers to limit my exposure) I noticed what appeared to be black hairs on the pillows. I then pulled the sheets all the way back and saw the dirt outline of the previous occupant. The sheets hadn't been changed!

Lastly, the people in the room next door had their radio on until about 5 am.

The next morning I checked out.

To be honest, I wasn't expecting a lot from a $51/night hotel. I travel often for business and usually stay at Marriotts. This particular week, almost all the hotel rooms in the Charlotte area were booked, so I took what was available (the Microtel). I never thought it would be that bad.

A co-worker of mine was also booked in the same hotel. His room was not as bad as mine.

As crazy as this review sounds, it is 100% accurate. I was on the third floor, facing the parking lot, to the right as you get off the elevator.

• Stayed July 2014
Travellers also viewed these Charlotte hotels
Quality Inn & Suites
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Charlotte Airport
Comfort Suites Airport
Comfort Suites Airport
#67 of 178 in Charlotte

Been to Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Charlotte Airport? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Charlotte Airport

Property: Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Charlotte Airport
Address: 3412 Queen City Dr, Charlotte, NC 28208-3550
Region: United States > North Carolina > Charlotte
Business Centre with Internet Access Fitness Centre with Gym / Workout Room Free High Speed Internet ( WiFi ) Free Parking Pets Allowed ( Dog / Pet Friendly ) Room Service Shuttle Bus service Wheelchair access Airport Transportation
Ranked #140 of 178 Hotels in Charlotte
Price Range (Based on Average Rates): £
Hotel Class:2 star — Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Charlotte Airport 2*
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Priceline, TripOnline SA, 5viajes2012 S.L., HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Charlotte Airport reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Microtel Inn Charlotte Airport Hotel Charlotte