Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Charlotte/University Place
Ranked #91 of 178 Hotels in Charlotte
West Columbia, South Carolina
“Disgusting”
Reviewed 4 September 2011

I will never stay at this place again. Right from the start we had problems. Before even getting into our room we crossed paths with what looked like a dead person in the hallway, ended up just being drunk and passed out on the floor. After walking into the room, their was a pair of somebodies dirty underwear left from the maids on the ground, and some trash left on the table. Was supposed to be a non-smoking room, and it reeked of ciggarettes. Stains all over skirting on bed, carpet, and walls. Room felt damp and humid. Carpet looked liked it had never been cleaned since they built the place. When checking out, waited for 5-10 minutes before simply being given a receipt, lady and front desk was gone doing who knows what. Worst hotel ever, do not go here, plenty of other places right around the block.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank fakebuttcheeks

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Boca Raton, Florida
Reviewed 6 July 2011

I have to admit from the outside I was very impressed. Then once we went inside it showed more like a budget hotel. We just stopped through for 1 night during a long road trip. The first room they gave us wasn't cleaned so we had to drag all our stuff back to the front to get a new room...this seemed to confuse the front desk person and we had to explain that there was half eaten food and sheets thrown everywhere and yes we were sure it wasn't maid up.

We had a single and it was very small. It reminded me of a cruise ship room. It was basically 4 walls and a bed and the walls were all mirrors. Classy. The room was damp and mold smelling, but the a/c kept it cold. The TV was on the older side and was high up over the closet so it basically strained your neck looking up at it. The place was simple and had everything you can imagine to eat/drink/shop close by. I was also surprised that it only took about 10 minutes to be in the heart of downtown. Granted this was a holiday and the downtown traffic was at a shocking low.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
South Carolina
Reviewed 1 July 2011

Stayed for a short business trip and had a comfortable stay. Everything worked well in the clean room but the rooms are pretty small. I would get cabin fever if I stayed more than a couple of days. Friendly staff. The breakfast was adequate with cereals, waffles and pastries available. An unruly mob formed when the coffee ran out for a few minutes. Plenty of parking area. Not much walking distance dining but there is a "Showmar's" restaurant next door. Apparently a lot of overnight truckers stay here judging by the number of trailerless trucks in the lot. Good value.

Room Tip: Try the Chili's or the Bikini bar 3/4 mi. away
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 30 May 2011

I felt very safe and comfortable staying at Microtel Inn. It was very pleasant and quiet. Everyone was freindly and accommodating. The bed was very comfortable. I would recommend Microtel Inn Charlotte University Place to anyone.

Room Tip: Just click on to what you desire in a room.
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
Marietta, Georgia
Reviewed 15 September 2010

That's it. Said it all. Pictures of fruit for breakfast--I even asked. Nope. Carpets were shampooed--they were actually wet.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 12 September 2010

Check-in was average. There was only 1 clerk so we had to wait til she finished with the previous guests before she checked us in but there was a guest who apparently had a problem with her check-in and came up a few minutes after us. The clerk tried to help both of us at the same time. Check-out on the other hand was disappointing. The same clerk, was cleaning the breakfast area AND on her cell phone, therefore, forcing another guest and I to wait at least 10 minutes before we were checked out. All I wanted was my receipt!!

The room needed to be updated. The carpet was dirty with stains, I made sure I kept my shoes on at all times because of this. The bathroom had cracked wallpaper and flooring. The water pressure was low. The room is was small and didn't have a microwave although every other Microtel I've stayed in had on in the room. The sheets and bedding were clean but I didn't like the fact that the 1990s comforter had a whole in it.

The hotel is located around other hotels as well as down the street from Wal-Mart, many fast food restaurants and my favorite, IKEA! It's in a busy part of the city.

I liked the lcoation of the hotel the best. I didn't like the condition of the room. This is based on the other 20 or so Microtels that I've had the pleasure of staying in.

Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
New Jersey
Reviewed 7 June 2010

My family and I recently traveled to Charlotte from NJ for a college graduation. Sadly, we booked the Microtel Inn on Sugar Creek Road. After making a fast exit, a relative lead us to your hotel. What a difference!! Your hotel was clean and very welcoming.

We were greeted by front desk employee Shanda and she was a true professional. We were lucky enough to get rooms with no reservation and she went out of her way to get us settled down after a long day of travel.

I would like to express our gratitude to this exceptional employee who is a true asset to your staff. My family would not hesitate to book rooms at your establishment for our next family visit to Charlotte

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with family