Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Charlotte/University Place
Ranked #94 of 178 Hotels in Charlotte
Reviewed 8 October 2013

My Husband and I are very pleased with our 7 nights stay. From day one, the front desk staff was very courteous and helpful; the hotel cleaners were very helpful and polite. The entire staff was wonderful. The room was very, very clean as well as the halls, elevator, and exterior. When there was a need, the staff was quick to accommodate. I appreciate a quality hotel and excellent customer service. Thank you.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Microtel Manage... P, General Manager at Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Charlotte/University Place, responded to this reviewResponded 15 November 2013

Dear valued Guest,

Thank you so very much for your kind words and for taking the time to send us your review! I will pass along your compliments to our staff! It is always wonderful to hear when we are doing our job properly. Thank you again!

Microtel Management

There are newer reviews for Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Charlotte/University Place

Reviewed 13 September 2013

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham

Reviewed 12 September 2013

We stayed 3 nights and had a relatively good experience with only a few hiccups. The room was small, but clean and comfortable. We had a lot of trouble getting our door keys to work, for some reason, and the staff had a bad habit of clearing breakfast away 10-15 minutes early (annoying), but overall we would stay there again. Good value and good Charlotte location.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Valued Guest,

I am glad you found our accommodations clean and comfortable! We have been working hard on the key issues that were giving us trouble in September and have since had the problems rectified! Please come back to see us and we will make I t up to you!

Microtel management

Reviewed 4 September 2013

This place is what I would describe as a complete dump. It was over priced, dirty, drug dealers in parking lot, marijuana odor in room, ceiling leaks repaired with scotch tape, carpet so old and worn that I tripped on the ripples in the carpet beside the bed. The walls were so thin, to my left, I heard the couple having sex, to the right I heard the television show. The elevator was broken by the morning and I had to lug my baggage down three flights! This place should be condemned! The attendant had no interest in helping clear any issues I had because her TV show was on. The pictures on their website does not look like what you get.

Room Tip: RUN! You can find a better/ safer place to stay in the dumpster behind wal mart!
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family

Dear Valued Customer,

I am very sorry for the issues you had during your stay. We try very hard to keep people such as this out of our property. Anytime we are made aware of such situations the police are called immediately to handle it. We are sorry for the issues you had during your stay. I would like to speak with you directly If you could please contact us via telephone 704-549-9900 so we can see what else can be done to rectify this.

Reviewed 3 September 2013

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham

Reviewed 29 August 2013

We were staying for one night in Charlotte and just needed a place to sleep. I booked this room due to the lower price. After this trip my friends and I vowed to always spend the extra money and stay at a Hilton or Courtyard property. We arrived at the hotel later in the evening. The front desk person was sitting behind the counter and was in no hurry to check us in. She gave us our keys and sent us on our way without any explanation of where the elevator was or any of their amenities. We wondered around until we found the elevator that was out of order and then proceeded to find the stairs. The door to the stairs was broken and propped open. The stairwell was filthy. On our floor the ice maker was out of order and the drink machines were empty. After finding our room the remote didn’t work. The room was dated, smelled musty, and he comforter was dingy. To little surprise the drink and ice machine were also out of order on the first floor. I asked the front desk clerk where I could get a drink and she suggested I use the water fountain. We were all tired and just went to sleep. The next morning the quote was" these pillows are like sleeping on the michelin man." After the first person showered they wished the rest of us "good luck" in the bathroom. This was due to the toilet moving when you sat on it,shower rod was hanging down on one side, and the bathroom was just not clean. I also noticed that the sheets were dirty. I told the front desk about the problems. The manager went to the room with me to look at it. She offered to give me a percentage off my next stay. She said that because we had booked through Expedia she had no way of refunding the money. I worked at a hotel for three years and knew different, but was so ready to get out of the hotel I decided to deal with it over the phone later. I called Expedia and they called the hotel where they accused us of messing up the room. Expedia was excellent and gave us a coupon to use on my next booking. I later called the hotels corporate office to inform them of the condition of their property. They said they would have the manager from the hotel call me. This never happened. Long story short this was a terrible stay, and to think I could have got 20% off my next stay there. Expedia on the other hand was fantastic.

Room Tip: The Hampton is close stay there.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Valued Guest,
Please allow me to apologize for the inconveniences you had during your stay. I am glad that our partner expedia was able to help you with the situation. Working for a hotel before, I am sure you know that we are not the ones who charge you directly and we do not have a way to refund your money on the spot when an issue arises. I am sorry for the issues this caused you and we would like to speak with you directly to possibly rectify this situation. if you could please contact us directly at the hotel and ask for the General Manager.
Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review.

Reviewed 27 August 2013

Like all of you, I checked all the reviews and thought well maybe some people have high expectations. I just wanted a simple hotel and to save some money. Just returned, big mistake. This hotel needs a total overhaul. Very dated from outside, to lobby, to rooms. It was clean, no issues with staff. when the air came on a very musty, skunk like, marijuana odor came out. I thought my mind was playing tricks on me until I returned from my day trip to find two guys sitting on the curb smoking weed, although they tried to hide it as we got out the car, and looking like it was no big deal. Lastly beware when you book online. What is not disclosed is that your reservation is being rerouted through expedia. You pay a higher rate so expedia can get a kick back from your reservation. Nothing on your confirmation identifies expedia you think you're booking directly. I called to ask why I wasn't charged the rate on my confirmation at check out and that's what the front desk told me. I said why is that rate there and she said you weren't supposed to see that. IMAGINE!!!!!!! LESSON LEARNED!

Room Tip: Don't bother!!!!
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family

Dear valued Guest,
First allow me to thank you for taking the time to leave us your feedback. Reviews are very helpful to us in helping to improve our property. I would like to apologize for the gentlemen you saw sitting on the curb. I assure you if our staff is aware of anything of this sort going on we call the police immediately. Things like that are completely unacceptable. I will pass along your concerns to our security to make certain things like this do not continue on. Thank you again for your time