Sheraton Charlotte Hotel
US$174
Hilton.com
  • Room Service
US$113
Hyatt Place Charlotte/Arrowood(Charlotte)(Great Value!)
US$120
US$102
US$167
US$139
US$161
Hotels.com
US$137
  • Pool
All reviewsle meridienpower outletsbusiness conferencerooftop baruber rideguest servicescity viewfitness centernascar hall of famegreat customer servicei highly recommend this hotelnice propertyrooms are niceindoor poollobby areaaishaabby
Reviewed 31 January 2014

Normally we book the Sheraton Charlotte Airport, but when we called for a reservation while on the road January 29th, we were told there was only one room available, a king for $286. What? We're gold status SPG members, so we were shocked. We wouldn't pay it. The operator suggested the Sheraton Charlotte Hotel. We booked it for $119. Big difference. I read the negative reviews on the way there and I was prepared for a substandard experience. Don't understand the $20 parking fee.
After checking in, had the elevator experience. 9 pm & no elevators. We finally took the service elevator to the 12th floor, discovered our room wasn't there, waited and waited for an elevator to take us back down. I was in the process of calling downstairs, when an elevator finally arrived. I'm walking w/ a cane b/c of recent surgery and was getting frustrated at the inconvenience.
Turns out our room was in the adjoining building, which was formerly The Drake, and is in the process of being transformed into a Sheraton property. So therefore the growing pains.(?)
We visited the bar after we got situated and had drinks ( the bartender makes an excellent dirty martini) and had some food, which was good.
Our room was fine, but what saved this establishment from a mediocre review was the professionalism of Wayne when checking in, and by our server at breakfast (which was also good) the next morning, Jeremy Black. We had a very nice conversation with Jeremy and left the hotel with a very positive feeling, which I'm sure was due to the attitude of this young man. We would go back.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the adjoining building - the elevators work
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Fletcher M, General Manager at Sheraton Charlotte Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 February 2014

Thank you for your comments about your recent stay at Sheraton Charlotte. We appreciate your feedback as it serves to help make us a better hotel. It will be a pleasure to personally thank both Wayne and Jeremy for the fine service they delivered to you. We are fortunate to have both of these excellent service professionals. We are working on the elevator situation and we’re hoping to have them updated during the current renovation process. Thank you for your patience and patronage especially given some of the other reviews. We are certainly aware of them and we are making every effort to become a better hotel. We hope we can continue to be your hotel of choice when your travels bring you back to the Charlotte area. Warm regards.

Reviewed 30 January 2014 via mobile

I used 1 star because tje system won't allow 0. While the front desk staff is friendly, the rooms and service is terrible and the management even worse!! Waited 90 minutes for food in a half empty restaurant (and yes asked repeatedly about it so they didn't just forget). The roim was NEVER serviced by housekeeping over the entire weekend (Friday thru Sunday). When we called at 4 pm on Saturday) about it were told "you are on the list" and "get over it". A second call at 5:15 resulted in a delivery of washcloths and a partial trash pick up (only did the main room trash, not the bath). No cleaning at all. Promised coffee maker never delivered. No hot water AT all!! Mold growing up the WALLS in the main area!!! Manager said it was all OUR fault as a guest since in our 4 calls to the desk we never asked for the manager (btw others in our party did ask repeatedly and were ignored). When we did find a manager she said we wer5being condescending when listing concerns, put her hand up in my face like a teenage girl and walked away. (We did not curse or raise our voice at any time. Only said repeatedly this is not what I expe5from a Sheraton).

Do yourself a favor. There are many great hotels in uptown Charlotte. Pick ANY of them over this!! I am embarrassed people would think this represents our state. NC is WAY better than this!!

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Linda M

Thank you for your comments about your recent stay at Sheraton Charlotte. I cannot apologize enough for your experience in the restaurant, the guestroom and at the front desk. It would be my pleasure to personally discuss your issues in further detail. Please feel free to contact the hotel directly so that we may address your concerns. I look forward to hearing from you. Warm regards

Reviewed 27 January 2014

I stayed at this hotel for a dance convention my daughter was attending. I was aware that it was under construction before going, but expected that--like any hotel under construction--the areas of the hotel that were accommodating guests would be in working condition.

Pros: The decor (in the areas that were open to guests, including our room) was very nice. Upscale contemporary. The beds were comfortable and bed linens and pillows were plush.

Cons: Everything you touched was in disrepair; including the "newly renovated" things. Front desk staff were mostly pleasant but only giving lip service... no follow through whatsoever.

Examples:

CHECK IN: No bellhop available nor any carts we could use ourselves to bring our stuff in. We were told there's only one cart and it's being used. Big, extremely heavy doors that do not open automatically and no door person to hold them open. (There were very pleasant doormen later in the stay, but they were not there when we were trying to drag all our stuff in at the beginning.)

I booked the room online via THE HOTEL'S WEBSITE, yet when I checked in, I was told (in a snide tone) that I must have booked through a third party and that's why it said there are smoking rooms when there aren't. My point? Fine if you don't have a smoking room... that's pretty standard nowadays. But don't tell me I don't know where I booked my reservation. (I am, by the way, a very frequent traveler, quite experienced at knowing where I made my reservations and I never use third-party sites.) Instead, why not make a note that the website needs to be fixed to remove this option from booking.

THE ROOM:

Very pretty decor; appeared to be newly renovated. Yet the clock was flashing, not set with the time, and it was very "stripped down." A notepad with no pen. No info on local area things, etc.

No coffee maker in room. Required a personal visit to front desk, another phone call four hours later, then a no-longer-pleasant call from me at 6:00 am before they finally brought one. When they finally did bring it, I have no idea how old the items must have been because the sugars were hard as a rock in their packets, the coffee pod was stuck to the inside of the bag (causing it to rip open and spill everywhere), etc.

Couldn't get heat to stop blasting in room. Literally, I had the thing set to 68 in an attempt to cool it down but it was 76 in the room.

Toilet required 5+ flushes to get it to flush even just water and a tiny piece of toilet paper.

Door has an "automatic deadbolt" that you're supposed to turn if you want it to say Do Not Disturb. Didn't work. (Wouldn't turn.)

Only one outlet available for plugging anything in, such as charging your phone. (On lamp in room). Had to plug coffee maker in bathroom, despite the fact that there was an area that appeared as if it was "supposed to" house a fridge/coffee station.

Very little water pressure in shower. Fixed shower glass door wobbling as if it was going to fall down. No seat in shower, but floor too filthy to sit on to shave legs.

Sinks do not tilt enough... so when you brush your teeth, you'd have to use handfuls of water to rinse the toothpaste down or else let it just st there (which they didn't clean when they did the room).

When they made up the room, they made the beds but didn't wipe down the bathroom or empty the trash. The must have "dusted," because they apparently hit the "set button" on the alarm clock, which unfortunately must have last been used for someone who wanted to get up at 1:09am, because that's when it rang and woke us up in the middle of the night. (This was the second night, not the first, so I know it was from housekeeping, not a previous guest.)

Thankfully I noticed friends posting online about there being no hot water in the morning. Had to organize my day around waiting until 10am to shower so I could be sure there was hot water. My daughter had to wait until we got home.

THE RESTAURANT:
With the knowledge that I was staying at a Sheraton, I expected the restaurant to be expensive and I am okay with that. However, when I'm spending nearly $50 on a breakfast buffet for two people, I do expect that the food is at least decent. Everything was overcooked, the brown sugar for the oatmeal was in a hard clump that you had to scrape to get some, and the wait staff were too busy chatting with one another to bring milk to the table for the coffee.

THE PARKING:
Teeny tiny parking spots so small that you have to let your passengers out first and then can't get out of your car once you've parked. Damage from other doors guaranteed. (I drive, by the way, a VERY small car.) Insufficient lighting in parking lot, making it very creepy at night. (More than half the lighting was not working.) No security at all.

Upon check-in I was told it was $20 a day to park my car. Okay, fine. Except that I later came to find out that other people were charged as little as $10 with most paying $13. Were they just making something up as they went along? I have no idea. I did get them to reduce my fee to $13. per day.

REGARDING THE CONFERENCE:
Elevators were not appropriate for a conference hotel. In most hotels that host conferences, at least one elevator is set to return to the lobby, while others may just go back and forth between floors. Instead, you'd stand in the lobby for 20 minutes watching them go up and down, stopping everywhere except the lobby. One elevator was completely out of order altogether. Construction and housekeeping staff did not use separate elevators (even during the busiest times of day when everyone needed to get to the conference) and there were two occasions when I was kept waiting in the elevator while one housekeeping person held the door for several minutes (not seconds, but minutes) waiting for another.

If you asked any hotel staff anything about the conference, their attitude was almost nasty. While I realize that they are not in charge of the dance convention, I don't think it's unreasonable to ask a question such as, "Do you know what time the show starts?" and have them say either "7:30" or "I don't know but I think the conference staff are over that way for you to ask." Inappropriate response, which was received: "We have nothing to do with the convention."

COMMON AREA RESTROOMS:
Doors on stalls didn't lock. Water EVERYWHERE, all over the counters and floors. No paper towels to dry your hands. (No air dryers either.) Water didn't drain in sinks... just the time it takes to quickly wash your hands, the water accumulated to nearly the rim of the sink.

LOCATION:
This is listed as a "Center City Charlotte" hotel. While perhaps it technically is "in" Center City (perhaps as far as their zip code or the postal mail is concerned?), it definitely is not. There are ZERO restaurants, bars, or anything within walking distance (it is at least half a mile.) In my opinion, if I am staying "IN" Center City, I expect to walk outside my hotel and be there within a block or two, not 15-20.

CHECKOUT:
When I asked for a printout of my charges, I was told that they can't include my room fee on the printout because I must have booked through a third party. Sigh. At this point, I had no energy to argue the point again.

OVERALL:
This hotel stay was not what I would expect from a Sheraton. It was like a Sheraton staffed by Motel 6 employees, except in greater disrepair and with fewer amenities.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Fletcher M, General Manager at Sheraton Charlotte Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 January 2014

Thank you for your comments about your recent stay. Please accept my apology for the countless problems you encountered throughout the hotel. We appreciate your feedback as it serves to make us a better hotel. As a general comment the hotel was not completely prepared for the number of people that attended the dance event and for the crowds to gather at the same time. We are still learning how to be a better hotel and to better accommodate larger groups of people. The ongoing renovation will address several issues that you mentioned with the property but only training will prepare our associates to better service guest and accommodate your needs. Thank you again for your comments and we do hope that you will give us another opportunity to regain your trust in Sheraton Charlotte. Warm regards.

Reviewed 23 January 2014 via mobile

My family was in Charlotte for a cheer competition last weekend. This hotel was centrally located and within a mile of the convention center where the competition was held. This is the extent of the positives. The service was average if not a tad below, the elevators were horrible, they were slow, stopped a few times between floors where you had to take a big step up to get off. We were on the 6th floor and had to take the stairs multiple times. There was a fee for Wi-Fi and parking (no valet, very inconvenient). The ice machine wax still in the box on our floor and the server tried to get my daughter to sign for $5 for the ice (which I'm assuming was really for his tip). The newer decor was nice but not worth the other inconveniences. I would not stay there again.

Stayed: January 2014
Fletcher M, General Manager at Sheraton Charlotte Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 January 2014

Thank you for your comments about your recent stay at Sheraton Charlotte Hotel. Please accept my apology for the inconveniences that you experienced with the elevators and service. The hotel is currently under renovation including the modernization of the elevators and the installation of new ice machines. Obviously there is no excuse for poor service and we will need to do a better job, while being more attentive to our guests’ needs to overcome our current physical deficiencies. Thank you for your patronage and I do hope you will consider giving us another chance after we have completed our renovation. Warm regards.

Reviewed 22 January 2014

When looking for a hotel in downtown Charlotte that was within walking distance of Bank of America stadium, the Sheraton Charlotte City Center caught my eye. The hotel is currently undergoing a renovation and many negative reviews complained about the condition of the hotel. Yes it is an older building that requires a bit of remodeling, but I can assure you that it won't interfere with your sleep. The rooms were pristine with gorgeous views of the city and excellent overall comfort. The staff was courteous, professional, and accommodating in every way, that includes the front desk staff, security personnel, maintenance, and room service professionals. The property has huge ball room and convention facilities that hosted a huge wedding that weekend so there was much traffic in the lobby areas but it wasn't problematic at all. The area around the hotel is primarily quiet office buildings and a park across the street. You are walking distance to some of the busier areas around town and some of the bigger attractions. I will say if you park in the rear garage it can be a bit of a maze getting to the main lobby, but again, you won't be too inconvenienced unless you have a great deal of luggage, in which case you should drop it around front. Overall this place is a solid 9.5/10, once the remodeling is complete, you got yourself a 10/10

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank madtv261

Thank you for your kind comments about your recent stay at Sheraton Charlotte. It’s refreshing to hear that you enjoyed the hotel, the location and the service that was provided. The hotel is in transition and we are working to become better both as a physical product and as a service provider. We will certainly look for better signage to direct our guests from covered parking to the lobby as this is a great idea. We appreciate your patronage and hope that you will allow us to serve as your host in the future the next time your travels bring you to the Queen City. Warm regards.