“Not as Great this time”

SpringHill Suites Charlotte Ballantyne Area
Ranked #70 of 183 Hotels in Charlotte
Reviewed 19 January 2014

This is our second trip back to this hotel. The first stay was wonderful! Last stay, not so great. Room was spacious and clean-that is very important. There was no soap in room, so had to ask for some at front desk. They provided immediately. Room was located over street and it was very noisy. Window would not shut the first night and might I add it was very cold. Finally around 8am the next morning, we were able to get the window fixed and closed. Still very noisy from the street below. It was the worst night I have ever spent in a hotel. If you stay here, make sure your room is over the parking lot-it is much quieter. Also, check your window and make sure it closes. Another problem we encounter is the bathroom door is frosted glass. When the light goes on in the middle of the night, it wakes everyone up in the room. Wooden doors are so much nicer at blocking the light. Shower room is same with frosted glass, so when one wakes up early and takes a shower, it wakes everyone up. Also, not enough towels and no bath math. Requested towels and received them from front desk. Breakfast food was stale the first day, and no regular syrup available. Second morning they ran out of items quickly. Also, Television did not have very many stations that worked, even after phone call. Could not get into the pool area either. Had to get maintenance to let us in and wait for over 30 minutes. Think we will find another hotel next time.

Room Tip: Make sure your room is located over the parking lot for a more quiet stay.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
TyrekusWilliams, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Charlotte Ballantyne Area, responded to this reviewResponded 21 January 2014

Good Afternoon Candy T,

Thank you for your feedback that you rendered via the TripAdvisor website. I was very disappointed to hear that you didn't have a great stay with us. It seems that we dropped the ball in many area's during your stay. Please note that I have addressed these issues with our management team. Please if you are ever in the area again for a future stay please contact me directly so that I can make this situation right for you and your guests.

Reviewed 13 January 2014

I spent 3 nights on business at this hotel recently. The hotel is new, clean, and attractive. It was very convenient to my customer's offices, as well as to many restaurants, shops, etc. in the area.

While my stay was pleasant, I did feel the hotel missed the mark in several areas:

- No mention of my Platinum status when checking in. I don't really care if they mention my status, but when they don't - you don't know if they have ensured you received your Platinum Arrival Gift (points, etc.).
- My TV had several stations not appearing, such as CBS, ABC, etc. on my first night. When I called, Engineering did not know how to fix it. Although it was finally fixed the next day.
- No hand lotion in my room the first night, then no bath mat the second night.
- Breakfast was hit or miss. Each day they seemed to run out of things and were unable to replenish them. One day I was down there at 7 AM and there were already out of items!

On the plus side, my room was comfortable with a great working area, mini fridge and microwave. Everything was spotlessly clean. I met my colleagues down at the lobby bar one night and it was a pleasant place for a drink with quick service and free popcorn.

I feel like this hotel could use some improvement to get to the next level of service, but all in all, it worked just fine for a business trip.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank jtwiz

Dear jtwiz,

Thank you for your review of our property via the TripAdvisor website. Your feedback will be used during our weekly management meetings. The only way for us to know when we have exceeded our guests expectations is through reviews such as yours. In this case I feel that we failed to meet your expectations. Please except my deepest apologies. If ever in the area again please feel free to contact me personally.

Reviewed 13 January 2014

We actually stayed here because our apartment had flooded in the recent cold snap.

Reservations were easily made and, since the hotel was almost entirely booked, it must be a good spot to stay.

Our room was quite nice with a large working area and living room area separated somewhat from the bedroom. The bathroom was clean and neat and the room was well-kept by housekeeping.

Breakfast was adequate with eggs and some meat every morning, along with cereal, bagels and toast, some fruit, cereal, etc.

There is also a "bar" open in the evenings that seemed like a nice spot to congregate though we did not avail ourselves of it during our stay.

There are plenty of restaurants located an easy walk from the hotel, along with a few shops and a health food grocery store.

All in all, quite a nice place to stay in the Ballantyne area.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear rudeman_i,

Thank you for your feedback via the Tripadvisor website. Your feedback is greatly appreciated. We always try to ensure that each guest has a comfortable and enjoyable stay with us here at the SpringHill Suites Ballantyne. We thrive on great customer service and I was delighted to hear that we exceeded your expectations. On your next trip to the Charlotte area please consider the SpringHill Suites Ballantyne for your lodging needs.

Reviewed 8 January 2014

My family and I stayed at the Springhill Suites Ballantyne on two separate trips to Charlotte in mid December. On both occasions we found the accommodations to be clean, comfortable and pleasant. But what really made our stays memorable was the very friendly and professional welcome we received from all of the staff. They went out of their way to be helpful on more than one occasion, and we greatly appreciated their kindness. Our rooms were inviting, quiet and well-designed, with comfortable beds and a separate area for couch, table and working space, and small, thoughtful touches and conveniences. We enjoyed our stay, and definitely would return and recommend it to friends and family.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank GeorgiaBirder
TyrekusWilliams, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Charlotte Ballantyne Area, responded to this reviewResponded 10 January 2014

Dear GeorgiaBirder,

Thank you for taking the time to send us feedback via the TripAdvisor Website. I was thrilled to know that 1. You are a repeat guest and 2. You have enjoyed your stay each time you have stayed with us. We really pride ourselves on a clean facility but the most important asset to our property is our staff. I will share you feedback with them to let them know how valueable they are to us and how much you enjoyed your stay.

Reviewed 2 January 2014

This is my 4th stay at the Ballantyne Spring Hill Suites. You are always greeted warmly by the desk staff and those maintenance/custodial staff in the halls--as if it were a high priced luxury hotel. The rooms are modern and unique, with sliding doors to the shower/sink room and a separate toilet/sink room. There is an iPod docking station on the clock radio charge your device or play music on it. The location has been perfect for us and we return because of reasonable rates for very nice accommodations. We typically have guests into the room for discussions, and the couch / desk chairs make it ideal. Their downstairs lobby area offers a casual gathering area, and in the evenings there is a bar with warm snacks in a club like atmosphere. We watched as a group of long term business guests played board games.

I seldom get into indoor hotel pools as they are usually dirty or over chlorinated--not so here. Their indoor pool is very well maintained, and while loud with kids voices at times, it was a peasant diversion to swim a few laps or sit at patio tables or lounges while our kids played. And there are plenty of large towels.

This last trip, an elderly family member had left their purse on the bench by the elevators. It was found and turned into the front desk--intact and with all valuables. So, it's just a nice place.

Breakfast is also quite appealing. Its a step above many other chains "free"continental breakfasts with some kind of warm concoction. Here you will always find a waffle iron, steam table serving points for some kind of scrambled eggs or omlettes and a breakfast meat, fruit, and sometimes cheese. The breads, bagles, and pasteries are fresh and not the sealed vending machine variety.

Room Tip: Avoid a room sharing a wall with the elevator. They seem noisier than other hotels.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank LakeGastonRetired
TyrekusWilliams, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Charlotte Ballantyne Area, responded to this reviewResponded 6 January 2014

Dear LakeGastonRetired,

Thank you for reviewing our hotel on the TripAdvisor website. I was pleased to hear that you are a repeat guest and that each time you have stayed with us we have met your expectations. I realize that you have a choice when it comes to your lodging needs and I am very pleased to see that you choose us time and time again. Please don't hesitate to contact us again in the future for any upcoming hotels accomadations when in the Charlotte area again. Once again, Thank You for choosing the SpringHill Suites by Marriott Ballantyne Area.

Reviewed 30 December 2013

We were attending a high school basketball tournament in Charlotte over the Christmas weekend and the SpringHill Suites was one of the hotels providing reduced rates for those attending the games. I'm not certain but I believe this particular hotel is rather new, it certainly had a new look and feel to it. It was one of the cleanest hotels we have stayed in quite a while. Our room was actually a suite (given the name maybe they all are), and while it was not as large as other suites in hotels we have stayed, it had plenty of room. The room itself is actually divided more by a partition than real walls, but the "extra" room contained a large writing area and larger than normal couch. It also contained a small refrigerator and microwave and had plenty of room to spread out and yet be separated from the bedroom itself. A very large flat screen TV (at least 42 in and maybe even 47 in) was provided.

The overall room configuration was one of the more interesting we have stayed. Instead of the normal bathroom configuration that one finds in 99% of the hotels, this one had two separate rooms, side by side both right in front of the king sized bed; one side contained the toilet and a small wash basin (but no counter), while the other contained the shower and a full sink with full counter top. The shower was a good sized shower, larger than normal. What stood out was that the opening to both sides was thru a pocket door, i.e. a sliding frosted glass door for each side. Very unique configuration for a hotel.

They served a pretty standard continental breakfast, with make your own waffles, oatmeal, and some sort of pre-cooked egg omelet and sausage each morning that we were there as the hot breakfast items; the rest of the breakfast consisted of the normal cereal, toast, eng. muffins, sweet rolls, etc, etc along with coffee, tea, different juices, etc. The egg omelet was significantly overcooked each morning, in some instances browned on both sides while the sausage looked like it had barely hit the pan. I strongly suspect both were pre-frozen and placed on some sort of grill/griddle to warm up. Don't know why the eggs were overcooked all three mornings we were there but they did not look appetizing to us. Several of the items on the "buffet" would run completely out before being replenished, one day they ran out of milk, so they removed all the cereal even though they still had some skim. The buffet could have been better stocked. That said, however, if you wanted something, the individual in charge of the buffet could not have been more willing to please and all one had to do was ask for something and she would bring it. But why do you need to ask for something in the first place?

The staff was pleasant. And the location could not have been better. The hotel is located right across the street from a shopping center where several decent restaurants were located, including a Ruby Tuesday's and Wild Wings Cafe. Another restaurant called the Hickory Tavern was located there and both the hotel staff and some of the locals strongly recommended it. But the night we tried to get in, there was a private party going on and the restaurant manager I spoke to said it probably was not the best night to try to get in, so we never got to try it. If you stay at the SpringHills suite you might want to check it out.

Our only disappointment was that coffee was not available in the lobby 24/7 like most hotels in this price range. There was coffee in the room, but we always enjoyed hotels that provided a good cup of joe from the large urns in their lobby.

So the bottom line is, we would strongly recommend this hotel, it had a very unique room layout, the continental breakfast was decent, good staff, inside heated pool (we didn't use), and very clean. Could not ask for a better stay.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Don_Chattanooga

Dear Don_Chattanooga

Thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to send us a review via the TripAdvisor web-site. I was very pleased to hear that you and your teams had an enjoyable stay with us. Please keep us in mind the next time your team travels to Charlotte and we will be happy to accomodate your lodging needs. Once again, Thank you for choosing the SpringHill Suites by Marriott Ballantyne Area.

Reviewed 18 December 2013 via mobile

I stayed at this property for my birthday as a weekend getaway. The rooms were very nice and clean! The hotel seems very new. The front desk manager Sophia was very helpful and friendly! I would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: December 2013