“My idea of camping!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Charlotte
Carowinds Camp Wilderness Resort
Salisbury, NC
“My idea of camping!”
Reviewed 4 April 2013

This is my idea of camping! We rented a cabin and it was very quaint and private. The shuttle runs to and from Carowinds every hour. We were able to grill out and sit out on the porch swing at night. We did see some cockroaches in the cabin, I know, it's near the woods but I was still grossed out by them. We stayed 2 nights and on the second day we requested fresh towels and never did receive them, glad we had beach towels. The mattresses on the bunk beds are thin so beware if you have a bad back. It's not far from the airport so if the sound of airplanes bother you then this is not for you, I liked seeing the planes come and go. So if you want to enjoy a camping experience in the city and have teens that love carowinds this is ideal!!!

Room Tip: They have a lot of camp sites but if you want a cabin then request on in the very back, we had #8 an...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank deltadawn68

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Vero Beach, Florida
Reviewed 5 January 2013

We spent six weeks (December and part of January) at Camp Wilderness in a motorhome with slide-outs. Overall, Camp Wilderness is a good value--especially during off-season (i.e., when Carowinds Amusement Park is closed), and we would stay there again. There are only a couple of places to stay near Charlotte in an RV, so Camp Wilderness is a reasonable choice.

The pros are: (1) Camp Wilderness is very conveniently located—a few minutes from I-77 and I-485, and a short drive from uptown Charlotte. (2) There is very convenient shopping within a couple of miles, particularly on S.Tryon St or in Pineville at Carolina Place mall. (3) Our pull-through site was spacious and easy in/easy out. (4) There is a large lodge/clubhouse which houses the registration desk, a very small convenience store and a huge fireplace with a comfortable seating area and large screen TV, and a game area with a pool table. (5) Off season rates are excellent. During season (i.e., when Carowinds Amusement Park is open), it’s more expensive, but for park-goers, it’s very convenient--there is a shuttle to and from the park entrance. (6) The office staff is very friendly and welcoming.

These items may not be “cons” for everyone: (1) Camp Wilderness isn’t perfectly set up for year-round use. When the weather got below freezing, as it did several times during our stay, the park’s water connection to our coach froze. If you don’t have enough fresh water in the tank, you may have to wait until the temperature rises enough to thaw the pipe to get fresh water. (2) The laundry area is very small—two washers and two dryers. One of the washing machines was broken for part of our stay, but when I reported it to the staff, they notified the repair service immediately. (3) The lodge, laundry and bathhouses are locked for the evening when the registration desk closes at 6:00 PM. (4) There is no cable TV available and (5) although there is free wi-fi, it’s somewhat slow and Internet access didn’t seem entirely reliable. (6) The pool is outdoors and is closed during the winter. (7) Although the staff was very friendly, they didn't appear familiar with the area and weren't able to help with local recommendations.

Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank cmpvb
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed 6 November 2012

I had a wonderful time that will forever be in my memories, My family spent most of their time at the gigantic lodge that holds up to 14 people while everyone else was in the cabins. We had a chance to grill barbecue, and camp out late at night. The bus took us back and forth to the Carowinds amusement park even though it was near and right beside it. The children, from babies to teens, adults, and even my grandmother enjoyed themselves. they also have a swimming pool there. The stores were not far from this location. It was about 5 minutes. the stores were open all night for those late night munchies. We had an awesome time there for 4 days. Yes, we would do it all again.

Room Tip: Well the whole camp ground was very quiet for us. We reserved the majority of the cabins and the lod...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Shaquala C
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 5 September 2012

I booked a 7 night stay for use during the DNC 2012. I was a volunteer and w
\as happy to find a campground near Charlotte. When I called to book, I was only told that the amusement park would not be open after Labor Day, but was not told about any other REDUCTIONS in the amenities. Since Labor Day, the bath house in my section has been locked down and the laundry, office, etc. have been locked down at 5pm. Now it is HOT and HUMID here, and I don't have a camper w/ AC and was looking forward to spending time in the lodge after a full day of volunteering. The best part is I found out about all of these things AS I ATTEMPTED to use them, not beforehand. Nor was there a reduction in the rate I was charged, this I could have accepted a bit easier. There were only 2 women who I would eliminate from my negative review, one was a new hire and one was the only person who smiled when I asked something. Otherwise, the staff is surly at best. I had stayed at two mom and pop establishments on my way here and they couldn't have been nicer. Also they have no knowledge about local transportation options in the city of Charlotte.

Room Tip: Make sure you look for sites that have tree shade, otherwise it is HOT!
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
Laurinburg, North Carolina, United States
Reviewed 3 September 2012

I was a bit skeptical of staying here after reading the reviews on this site. However, we have been very pleased with our stay. Yes, we are at the campground now which shows there is wifi at your site. Our purpose in the visit was to have a relaxing place to stay after visiting Carowinds. The shuttle buses, although small, run a regular schedule. This allowed us to leave the park and have lunch at the camper. The staff was very friendly. The pool, bathrooms, and laundry room were clean. The water pressure was excellent. The entire family enjoyed the lodge/game room/trading post. The kids played games while the adults watched television. This morning, I had coffee while sitting in the rocking chairs on the front porch.

I enjoyed the stay so much, we are planning to buy season passes next season. My daughter asked if we could make this a tradition.

We opted to stay for a late checkout so the children could enjoy a few more hours of fun. I would highly recommend this campground.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Amber H
Raleigh, North Carolina, United States
Reviewed 30 August 2012

This campground looks like it hasn't been updated in decades with the exception of some new cabins and WiFi service. The grass is nonexistent between sites - just dirt or mud, depending on the weather. They have recently started sodding a few sites so i guess they're making an effort there. This was built so long ago that the sites aren't very long or wide so it's difficult getting a big rig in them let alone enough room for your car/truck too.

The staff act like they've never camped before and are of no assistance besides taking your money which is exorbitant for the kind of campground this is. The only reason to stay here is if you want to be convenient to the amusement park. You can conveniently take a shuttle bus over from the campground. The bathroom also look old and outdated and the washing machines didn't always work.

Several times I saw Carowinds employees drive their Gators over and sit around doing nothing, which was annoying but I guess that's why we have to pay such high prices to stay here.

The office/lodge itself is an attractive building. They have a very small store inside and a sitting area, which wasn't being used much when I was there.

You have to drive past an employee entrance to get into the campground. If you're unlucky, you're dealing with lots of foot traffic and/or employee cars parked on the side of the road which makes it difficult to negotiate the 90 degree turn down the campground road.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Fort Mill, SC
Reviewed 31 July 2012

While this is very convenient to Carowinds, the campground could be better.

They removed the playground when adding ADA bathrooms. There seems to be other space to build a new playground. If they are not going to add one, they should remove that from the amenities listed on the site.

We camped in a pull thru spot with our Class C. Our paved pad was covered with dirt that was thick. Looked like it had been washing into the spot over time. I asked for someone to clean it or provide a shovel, but they never did. The grass area was also mostly dirt, which I think led to tons of ants and they were the biting kind! We had to spray our outdoor carpets with ant spray regularly.

The pool hours are limited to 11-7 because they are on the same schedule as the waterpark at the park. I feel like they should be open earlier or later since most people are at the park those hours.

If you are just looking for a place close to the park, this is ok for that purpose, but if you plan to spend a lot of time in the campground or site, it's not so great.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Charlotte
BEST WESTERN Carowinds
Homewood Suites by Hilton Charlotte/Ayrsley
Country Inn & Suites at Carowinds
Hyatt Place Charlotte/Arrowood
Embassy Suites by Hilton Charlotte Ayrsley

Been to Carowinds Camp Wilderness Resort? Share your experiences!