“Very nice hotel but beware...”

The Ritz-Carlton, Charlotte
Ranked #18 of 177 Hotels in Charlotte
GreenLeadersSilver level
Denver, Colorado
“Very nice hotel but beware...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2012

We have stayed at Ritz's all over the world and this is a very nice hotel. Terrific staff and a great location. The only real complaint we had was the noise. There are several restaurants across from the front of the hotel. We were on the 16th floor and didnt get any sleep until after 1:00am because of the noise. We talked to the front desk staff and they admitted it can be a problem. They did move us to the othe side of the hotel and it was very quiet; problem solved.

The rooms are very nice and large. The bathroom is terrific. Most of the staff is well trained and professional although there were a few exceptions. The workout facilities are fantastic. We would definately stay here next time we are in Charlotte.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the garden as the other side of the hotel is very loud.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank WorldTraveler50226

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
GlobalTraveler
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2012

I travel most weeks (approx 100 hotel nights per year, mostly in Marriots and Westins). My client requested I use their preferred hotels with pre-negotiated rates. I have stayed at this Ritz a few times so was surprised when they turned me away at the desk - 7PM! They said they only honor the rate for actual employees, not consultants - even if they are on there on client business with verification.

I stayed at the Marriott 1/2 block away (also a nice property). Over the past 10 years and 1000+ hotel nights, I have only had a small handful of problems - most with Ritz Carltons. In my opinion, they have excellent service but are very inflexible if you have even a small issue.

NOTE - had it not been for the above experience, I give this property 4-stars based on prior stays at the same place. Nice, decent location for downtown, certainly Ritz standards for room quality.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
Mountain Lakes, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 November 2012

Every dealing with the hotel from booking, to confirmation, throught my visit, lunch to checkout was exceptional. I stayed in the hotel on a girls weekend with my sister in law in march and was extremely pleased with the spa. Decided that my friends and I needed a little relaxation before turkey day- everything was exactly as I had hoped- clean, friendly and professional- I will be back from NJ soon!

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
Charlotte, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2012

Overall --- we can't wait to go back, but they had some big "boo boos" on our visit.

I want to give it a "6" in some areas and a "2" in others depending upon if I compare it to all hotels, or a higher standard of other Ritz properties. We've stayed at a few before on special occasions, and this was a 'date night' for us while the kids were with a babysitter.

[And for the record, I had some hotel vouchers that were going to expire, so this cost me a lot less than normal or we wouldn't have done it --- I'm too cheap!]

PRO
- love the location! Some reviews complained about it and the noise, but I would suggest to you that it's a super spot to be located, and with-in walking distance to "everything." We were only on the 3rd floor, and I agree that maybe it could have been loud had there been a major event at the Time-Warner Arena, but that's what you get in a big city!
- service rocks! The people were great, and I am going to go out of my way to thank them on the Ritz website too (thanks Mark, Ashley and Brooke, to name a few). I mentioned I was on the third floor, and when we called the valet for the car it was there before we could get down the elevator.
- food - Awesome as always. I so enjoy eating at a Ritz. Maybe it's my brain playing tricks on me, but everything just tastes better! Try the sweet potato fries appetizer in the bar, or the filet at BLT with the jalapeno mashed potatoes (didn't think we'd like it but we scraped the bowl). The popovers were interesting, too.
- you get what you pay for - I saw some reviews where people complained about the prices at a Ritz. We always know that going in, so just like going to the "best restautant in town" anywhere in the country --- don't expect to pay Burger King or Applebee's prices!

CON
- major no-no --- we opened the door and got a huge whiff of something nasty. It wasn't mold, and my wife thought maybe it was spilled (bad) perfume? In any event, we complained, they couldn't swap us to another room, so they offered an extra industrial cleaning. We were already heading down for dinner, so this wasn't a problem and we received some comps.
- not a huge deal, but they skipped our turn-down service, which is always nice to come back to after a night out. I called and they fixed it immediately.
- there were two significant errors on our bill at check out. Again, it was fixed immediately, but still!? I don't have that problem at the Courtyard Marriott or Doubletree, etc.

Again, overall we can't wait to go back, but they had some big "boo boos" on our visit.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
Beverly Hills, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2012 via mobile

Beautiful hotel with incredible staff I stayed with a large group and they could not have been any nicer. If in Charlotte come stay here. The highlight to me was to only its location but the gym. An incredible gym facility. Stay here when visiting Charlotte.

Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
Ogunquit, Maine
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2012 via mobile

We travel a lot and in our opinion this was our favorite place to stay of all time. We got a parlor suite, at around $600 a night, however you get what you pay for!! The rooms are a great size, master bath very nice. The bed, sheets, pillows first class all the way...best night sleep in a hotel ever. Will probably start using the Ritz for our hotel rooms now, because of this experience

• Stayed November 2012
1 Thank angelinaogt
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2012

While on business in the Charlotte area my husband and I stayed at this hotel, We took the advice of others on Trip Advisor and requested a room on a high floor and away from the street, as the Epi Center can be noisy. We were on the 12th floor in the back of the hotel ( Room 1210) and it was as quiet as can be. We used the couresy driver's service to take us to a breakfast spot (The Original Pancake House...YUM!!) This hotel is great. The front desk staff is helpful and friendly. The room was spotless, and the bathroom is spectacular in size!! I loved the soaking tub and the television hidden in the bathroom mirror. The cost to lodge here is pricey but as with aything else, you get what you pay for.

Room Tip: Get a room on a high floor and NOT in the front. The Epi Center is across the street and can be noi...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled on business