“Wonderful new hotel, great service and food, excellent conference facilities”

The Ritz-Carlton, Charlotte
Ranked #14 of 178 Hotels in Charlotte
GreenLeadersSilver level
North Carolina
“Wonderful new hotel, great service and food, excellent conference facilities”
Reviewed 20 July 2010

This new hotel is a phenomenal choice for leisure and business travelers. I had the best food I've ever had during a business conference. Our suite, a parlor suite located on the 16th floor, was the best hotel room I've seen in a very long time. The suite was well-appointed, clean and neat. The bed, bathroom, toiletries, television, sound system, wave machine -- all were fantastic! I did not hear any noise from the amphitheater or shops across the street. Staff were very friendly and helpful, and the bellman remembered our names! I generally avoid downtown hotels, but this hotel was well worth the effort it takes to get there. All of the green features included in this hotel are a great addition to the usual Ritz luxury. Don't forget the fabulous pool and spa included for guests of the hotel.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank tarheel08

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
Greensboro, North Carolina
Reviewed 12 June 2010

My husband and I recently stayed at the Ritz in Charlotte & had a fantastic time. From the moment we stepped foot into the hotel we were treated with terrific service...friendly valet staff, glass of sparkling wine while we checked in. Our suite was luxurious and while we were out for our anniversary dinner the staff spread rose petals around the bedroom and left a Happy Anniversary cake for us to enjoy. Every employee we encountered at the hotel was friendly and helpful. Our suite did face the Epicenter, we could hear a little noise from the outside bars across the street, but it was not loud enough to bother/keep us awake. We look forward to staying here again.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank parispls
North Carolina
Reviewed 20 May 2010

My wife and I stayed at The Ritz-Carlton on Thursday May 13th and departed on Sunday the 16th. The staff seemed to be very well trained and gracious. Everyone went out of their way to be friendly and make sure every aspect of our stay enjoyable.

However, I feel like the front desk and other staff are being put in a difficult situation because of some design flaws, mainly not having proper sound proof windows on the front of the hotel.

Directly across from the hotel is a two story building called the Pavilion at Epicenter http://epicentrenc.com/ there are over three dozen bars and restaurants that encompass over half a million square feet with an open air pavilion.

In order to stimulate more business on Thursday night they host a program call "Alive After Five" where they bring in live bands to perform: http://epicentrenc.com/event/alive-after-five/25. The music starts at 5:00 p.m. and is suppose to end at 9:00 p.m. but does not. Regardless, after the live band stops all the bars turn up their music and go on until 2:00 am or later.

If your room faces the Pavilion and probably half of the 145 rooms in the hotel do. The the noise level from the street and the music is horrible.

We arrived on Thursday and our room was on the front of the hotel. From 5:00 p.m. to 9:50 p.m. the bed literally vibrated from the band and after that the noise from the bars continued.

I called the front desk and the hotel staff offered to move my wife and I that night but we were both exhausted and already in bed. We agreed to be moved to another room the following day. This was handled professionally and I am not faulting the staff for something out of their control I am really just surprised this happened.

Secondly, while I know the Ritz-Carlton prides itself on having the first environmentally-built hotel in Charlotte and that it was awarded a Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design Gold certification, please allow me to vent a little.

When you are paying $350 a night for a room you expect the room to be quiet and peaceful and overly luxurious. The room was spacious, the lounge chair uncomfortable, but I understand built for durability. We had minor problem with the in room safe but that was corrected quickly.

I enjoyed stepping into a beautifully appointed bathroom but was greatly disappointed not be able to have a brisk shower and further having to turn both the sink handles completely in order to get enough water to thoroughly wash my hands.

Having a chiller in your hotel room honestly is useless unless you live in France and enjoy having a warm soft drink versus a real refrigerator to keep something cold, but at least I could go down the hall for ice.

The motion censor on the air conditioner control makes for having to constantly adjust the temperature.

Lastly, I have to comment on the food, I will be the first to admit that having mostly organic culinary choices, while not a total turn off, is not what I would consider simple comfort food. After all, isn't that what most people want?

With all this said, I'm sure my wife and I will stay at another Ritz-Carlton in the future. Their hotels have always been beautiful and the staff attentive but I was just disappointed that this stay wasn't all that I had envisioned.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled on business
4 Thank TravelExpert007
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed 11 May 2010

My husband and I stayed at the Ritz when we were in Charlotte for a concert at the Time Warner Arena. The location is perfect for any events at the arena as it is right next door. The rooms were large with extra-large bathrooms. Also, the staff was helpful with all requests, from mailing letters to suggesting local restaurants. We would definately stay there again.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
South Carolina
Reviewed 27 April 2010

My wife & I, along with our 9-year old stayed here for a Bon Jovi concert. The hotel is directly next door to Time Warner/Bobcats arena and across the street from the Epicenter entertainment complex with lots of dining options. I almost always stay at Hilton properties and we decided to treat ourselves this time...we weren't disappointed. The rooms were much larger than the Hilton Charlotte and bathrooms were very big. Only complaint was that we couldn't get the room cool enough for our liking. However, road noise from the adjacent bars/clubs was not an issue. I'd highly recommend this hotel and stay here again, particularly for a concert or event at the arena...it's the closest hotel to the arena.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank culord
maryland
Reviewed 18 April 2010

My surprize 50th birthday gift was a stay at the Ritz Carlton in Charlotte, NC. My stay was fabulous from the valet to the Spa treatment. The suite was to die for from the entrance to the the bathroom. Everything was grand, until checkout. This was an all expense paid experience for me. However, the receipt, that I should not have seen, was placed under my door and I was charged for the stay as well. Upon inquiry of the error made, I was assisted in a condesending manner and it appears that they have an issue with VISA debit cards. The manager advised me that it was a computer clitch. In a nutshell, the error, which was human, should have never happened. Customer Service means everything when you stay at any given hotel, motel, resort. Ritz Carlton I was not impressed with the customer service @ your front desk by clerk or manager.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled solo
South Carolina
Reviewed 10 April 2010

I surprised my wife with a night at the Ritz for our anniversary. When we arrived, the front desk staff wished us a happy anniversary. There was a very nice flower arrangement that I had ordered waiting in the room. The Ritz surprised me by adding a beautiful cake with fresh berries and a white chocolate ribbon that said happy anniversary! The hotel is modern and attractive throughout. The room was beautiful and nicely furnished. The bathroom was huge with a large separate bath and shower, and a TV built into the mirror that my wife loved! We took advantage of the special rate that included valet parking and an in-room breakfast, and ordered whatever we wanted from the room service menu. The breakfast was very nicely presented and the service was terrific. The hotel is in an excellent location just 1 block from the center of uptown Charlotte, so there are plenty of great restaurants and things to see nearby. It is also 1 block from the Time Warner Cable Arena and from the Lynx light rail station. Our room was very quiet and our entire stay was pleasant and comfortable. Be sure to check out the pool and spa on the top floor of the hotel. The pool overlooks the city and is beautiful. I recommend this hotel highly!

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple