“Couldn't ask for more” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersSilver level
Cleveland
“Couldn't ask for more”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2010

I need to preface this review by disclosing that prior to this stay, we had NEVER stayed in a five star hotel so we're not used to the level of service associated with such an establishment. With that said, we found the Ritz Carlton to be an outsanding hotel. My family and I were very pleased with our short stay.

The amenities at the Ritz Charlotte are abundant. The fitness center is incredibly comprehensive. The entire top floor is devoted to it. The fitness floor includes the aqua lounge (a pool, hot tub and plenty of lounge chairs), a cycling room - a room full of exercise bicycles, a room full of mats (yoga room, perhaps) and a large room with state-of-the-art cardio and strength training machines. There were lots of towels and robes to use after a dip in the pool or a vigorous workout.

I requested and paid for two adjoining basic rooms for my family of two adults and two girls. What I got was a large suite (parlor suite) and an adjoining deluxe room. Both rooms were fabulous.

The parlor suite included a foyer, powder room, living room marble bathroom and king bedroom. The deluxe room had two queen beds, a desk/sitting area and a marble bathroom.

The beds were luxurious with soft sheets and down comforters. The bathroom had a deep tub, spacious shower, a toilet stall with telephone and double sink area with a television embedded in the mirror.

The rooms had lots of little extras. Slippers, a sewing kit, bath beads, Qtips, mouthwash and all kinds of soaps, lotions and hair products. The desk area even had a stapler and paper clips. For entertainment, there was a DVD player, a CD player/iPod docking station and flat screen TVs in the living room, and bedrooms. There was also a white noise machine to assist with sleeping and a CD in the bedside CD player that had soothing sounds like a babbling brook, rain, etc.

The service to me was outstanding. Housekeeping made up our room in the evening for turn down service. I counted six people standing at the door in the lobby area to open the door, get your car, help with luggage, answer questions, etc. At check in, an employee stood in the lobby with sparkling wine. Someone else was working on ice cream cones with homemade cones.

The only negative that I can think of is that they charge $30/night for valet parking and $10/day for wireless internet. You may be lucky to get a AAA rate that includes parking. I think wireless is free in the lobby. We were on a high floor but still heard the noise from the night clubs across the street. The noise was not intrusive and we slept like babies

We found the Ritz Carlton in Charlotte to be the best place we ever stayed. The hotel offers extremely reasonable weekend rates considering the luxurious spacious rooms, endless amenities and fabulous service.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank Nikki64

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2010

My wife, daughter and I recently spent a few days at the Ritz in Charlotte. Overall, the hotel is fantastic - great accomodations, sharp lobby, a terrific staff (who always remember your name) and a nice location right in the middle of downtown (called Uptown in Charlotte). The price of a suite at this hotel is about the same price as a small room at the same company's properties in many other cities. You can find a deal in Charlotte. WeI would stay at this hotel on any trip to Charlotte, but there are two issues (one seen elsewhere in these reviews) that need to be considered, and they both have to do with noise. Yes, the Epicenter noise is huge. Nobody loves music more than me, but I don't want to hear it wafting into my hotel room from outside when I'm in my room. We were really surprised to find that the windows are not soundproofed, and unlike the other review that talked about the noise, we were on the opposite side of the hotel from the Epicentre and still heard the noise. Thursday is the real night to skip your stay here as that's when they do the open-air concerts across the street. The second noise issue was right in the room. Every few minutes or so, the windows buckle and make a loud popping sound that can really jolt you sometime. The desk clerk was well aware of ths issue when i called down about it. She told me the hotel is still new and the windows are settlling and it's also partly caused by the extreme heat to cooler air temps that happen in Charlotte this time of year. Noise or not, though, this is a great place and the pool alpne makes this memorable.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
atlanta, ga
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2010

My husband and I were in Charlotte for a special anniversary that coincided with Restaurant Week. We booked a package that included a few amenities such as a 4pm checkout, but were surprised with additional special attention because of our celebration. Per other reviews, I requested a quiet room on a higher floor, and wasn't disappointed. Our room was very large and comfortable. We heard no outside noise at all. We especially found the TV in the bathroom mirror cool.

The Ritz-Carlton has only been open since October, but we found the service impeccable, the hotel itself beautiful and our overall experience sublime. Although initially, we had difficulty with our reservation at BLT (totally amazing food) because of a reservation error, the front desk staff worked diligently to get us in on a Saturday night during Restaurant Week. And, it was totally worth it!

The 17th floor fitness center was amazing, as was the 18th floor pool and spa. We lounged there most of Sunday, and practically had it to ourselves. The Lobby Lounge had a vibrant atmosphere with great live jazz Saturday evening, and we thoroughly enjoyed the spa services.

The extra-special touches, such as a delicious mini-white cake with buttercream and fondant icing in our room upon arrival, a rose petal covered bed at turndown, and personalized health stone to keep from the spa as a momento, just elevated our already high opinion of the hotel. We didn't venture outside the hotel during our brief stay, but got the impression that it's very centrally located to many venues and restaurants. I hope we'll have the opporunity to return.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2010

This new hotel is a phenomenal choice for leisure and business travelers. I had the best food I've ever had during a business conference. Our suite, a parlor suite located on the 16th floor, was the best hotel room I've seen in a very long time. The suite was well-appointed, clean and neat. The bed, bathroom, toiletries, television, sound system, wave machine -- all were fantastic! I did not hear any noise from the amphitheater or shops across the street. Staff were very friendly and helpful, and the bellman remembered our names! I generally avoid downtown hotels, but this hotel was well worth the effort it takes to get there. All of the green features included in this hotel are a great addition to the usual Ritz luxury. Don't forget the fabulous pool and spa included for guests of the hotel.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank tarheel08
Greensboro, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2010

My husband and I recently stayed at the Ritz in Charlotte & had a fantastic time. From the moment we stepped foot into the hotel we were treated with terrific service...friendly valet staff, glass of sparkling wine while we checked in. Our suite was luxurious and while we were out for our anniversary dinner the staff spread rose petals around the bedroom and left a Happy Anniversary cake for us to enjoy. Every employee we encountered at the hotel was friendly and helpful. Our suite did face the Epicenter, we could hear a little noise from the outside bars across the street, but it was not loud enough to bother/keep us awake. We look forward to staying here again.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank parispls
North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2010

My wife and I stayed at The Ritz-Carlton on Thursday May 13th and departed on Sunday the 16th. The staff seemed to be very well trained and gracious. Everyone went out of their way to be friendly and make sure every aspect of our stay enjoyable.

However, I feel like the front desk and other staff are being put in a difficult situation because of some design flaws, mainly not having proper sound proof windows on the front of the hotel.

Directly across from the hotel is a two story building called the Pavilion at Epicenter http://epicentrenc.com/ there are over three dozen bars and restaurants that encompass over half a million square feet with an open air pavilion.

In order to stimulate more business on Thursday night they host a program call "Alive After Five" where they bring in live bands to perform: http://epicentrenc.com/event/alive-after-five/25. The music starts at 5:00 p.m. and is suppose to end at 9:00 p.m. but does not. Regardless, after the live band stops all the bars turn up their music and go on until 2:00 am or later.

If your room faces the Pavilion and probably half of the 145 rooms in the hotel do. The the noise level from the street and the music is horrible.

We arrived on Thursday and our room was on the front of the hotel. From 5:00 p.m. to 9:50 p.m. the bed literally vibrated from the band and after that the noise from the bars continued.

I called the front desk and the hotel staff offered to move my wife and I that night but we were both exhausted and already in bed. We agreed to be moved to another room the following day. This was handled professionally and I am not faulting the staff for something out of their control I am really just surprised this happened.

Secondly, while I know the Ritz-Carlton prides itself on having the first environmentally-built hotel in Charlotte and that it was awarded a Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design Gold certification, please allow me to vent a little.

When you are paying $350 a night for a room you expect the room to be quiet and peaceful and overly luxurious. The room was spacious, the lounge chair uncomfortable, but I understand built for durability. We had minor problem with the in room safe but that was corrected quickly.

I enjoyed stepping into a beautifully appointed bathroom but was greatly disappointed not be able to have a brisk shower and further having to turn both the sink handles completely in order to get enough water to thoroughly wash my hands.

Having a chiller in your hotel room honestly is useless unless you live in France and enjoy having a warm soft drink versus a real refrigerator to keep something cold, but at least I could go down the hall for ice.

The motion censor on the air conditioner control makes for having to constantly adjust the temperature.

Lastly, I have to comment on the food, I will be the first to admit that having mostly organic culinary choices, while not a total turn off, is not what I would consider simple comfort food. After all, isn't that what most people want?

With all this said, I'm sure my wife and I will stay at another Ritz-Carlton in the future. Their hotels have always been beautiful and the staff attentive but I was just disappointed that this stay wasn't all that I had envisioned.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank TravelExpert007
Raleigh, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2010

My husband and I stayed at the Ritz when we were in Charlotte for a concert at the Time Warner Arena. The location is perfect for any events at the arena as it is right next door. The rooms were large with extra-large bathrooms. Also, the staff was helpful with all requests, from mailing letters to suggesting local restaurants. We would definately stay there again.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple