“WOW!! The only place to stay in Charlotte.”

Aloft Charlotte Ballantyne
Ranked #44 of 178 Hotels in Charlotte
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 31 May 2011

My family and another family with whom we frequently travel were in Charlotte over Memorial Day wekend. Both families had small dogs with us and our original reservation was in a rat hole where I would not allow the dogs to sleep. I got on the internet fast and happened upon Aloft Ballantyne. UNBELIEVABLE!!! I knew when I walked to the front door it was a happy place: water bowls out there for dog visitors. The staff was amazing and the interior decor is modern and charming at the same time. There were board games scattered around the lobby for guests, a fantastic lobby bar, pool table, indoor pool, and happy puppies walking through the lobby. The rooms are big and the beds comfortable. Huge showers too. I can't say enough. We loved it.

Room Tip: Call the hotel directly.
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank zarbock1228
ajones13, General Manager at Aloft Charlotte Ballantyne, responded to this reviewResponded 1 June 2011

Hi zarbock1228

Thanks for your glowing review of our hotel. I am glad that you and your four legged family members had a great time with us. We hope you can come and visit us again soon!

Live Life Aloft!

Reviewed 29 May 2011

Looks like this hotel was styled by someone with an art degree who hasn't traveled much. The place is just very high on style and very low on function.
There are NO drawers. That's right. No place to unpack your clothing, other than a very few hangers. This may be ok, if there's only one of you and you keep stuff in your suitcase, but try a family of 3 or 4 who will be staying for the weekend and attending various events.
When our group got together, the hotel was our favorite topic of conversation. Each of us brought another complaint. Showers that got the whole bathroom wet, Lousy choices on the TV, coffee pots with no filters, and lights that were controlled by your key, and no way to turn them on in the middle of the night when mother-nature called.
I did see lots of dogs on the grounds, so maybe they can fill the place by being animal friendly.

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere!
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
ajones13, General Manager at Aloft Charlotte Ballantyne, responded to this reviewResponded 31 May 2011

Hi carenb_MA

Thanks for your review of our hotel. I appreciate your feedback, but unfortunately many of the hotel features that you and your family were disappointed in are a consistent part of the brand. These are what distinguish the Aloft as an environmentally friendly and trendy boutique style of hotel.

Hopefully your interaction with our team was a positive one as we pride ourselves on our level of customer service and guest satisfaction. If you would like to discuss this further, please contact me at ajones@aloftcharlotteballantyne.com or 704-247-2301.

Thanks for trying us out and we would be happy to recommend a better fit for you next time you are in the area.

Regards

Reviewed 29 May 2011

This is not your typical US hotel. The small rooms made me feel like I was back in Europe. There was barely enough space to walk round the bed! The rooms are very well done though and are modern with an entertainment dock and wall hund lcd screen.

The breakfast is not included and is a let down to be honest. A hot selection is offered but on request and this means it takes at least 5 minutes for it to come. Also the seating area is a little odd - you are expected to either take your breakfast with you or move into the main lobby seating to consume it. Sitting on the bench in the breakfast area would make you feel like you were in the way.

Finally, there is no central ac system. Each room has its own ac unit which is quite loud when on.

I think I will revert to the Staybridge next time as its rooms are more comfortable and breakfast is included. I will miss the bar at Aloft though.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business

Hi Zippy321

Thanks for you review of the Aloft Charlotte Ballantyne, we appreciate your feedback!
We are glad that you liked our modern lofts and the Wxyz lounge
My apologies for our breakfast options not being what was expected. We cook all our food to order to make sure it is hot and fresh for our guest's. The brand concept is for more of a grab n go type feel as opposed to a full sit down meal.
The Staybridge Suites is another great choice in Ballantyne and breakfast is included as you mentioned. you can still come over and hang out in our bar even if we are not what you are looking for though. we would be happy to come and pick you up in our complimetary shuttle and drop you back off!

Thanks again

Reviewed 27 May 2011

Aloft Ballantyne in Charlotte,NC was great !..... I am someone who puts a premium on service and attention......As soon as I arrived in the lobby mr.Mina Banoub, guest services manager, went well above and beyond in his efforts to get me checked in. His assistent, Hugh, was equally accommadating. The decor was excellent, food was good and the price was AWESOME. My compliments to staff of Aloft Ballentyne, Charlotte,NC......I will be telling ALL my friends and business associates about you guys......Thanks again and GOD bless you and yours.......H.Davis

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank musicman35

Hey there musicman

Thanks for your review of our hotel!
I am glad that Mina and Hugh took great care of you during your stay!
Thanks for spreading the word about Aloft and we look forward to seeing you again in the near future

Reviewed 5 May 2011

I use hotels on a regular basis, as I travel a lot for business and pleasure. This time, it was a combination of both. I have been wanting to stay at an Aloft for awhile, and I was not disappointed. The staff were friendly and helpful. They always greeted me when I entered the hotel. It was hospitality that really made me miss living in the south. They had an event called Spring Fling, which I had a little time to attend (when I wasn't at meetings). Our room was large, and I was glad to have some extra space, so I was not so cramped (which tends to happen when I travel for music). The fitness center was one of the better fitness centers I've been to at a hotel. I enjoy lifting weights, so I was glad it was more than just a treadmill or a machine weight.
I like the modern twist to the hotel as well with the lighting, decor, music, and eco-friendly strides Aloft takes. I can have a good time here and relax. It's not super wild like a Penn State party, but it's not boring either.
The hotel is in the Ballantyne area of Charlotte, which is beautiful, and close to the area of the city I used to live in (Of course I wanted to stay close to where my friends in Charlotte live). I plan to stay here again next time I am in Charlotte.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank ncmdlifter
ajones13, General Manager at Aloft Charlotte Ballantyne, responded to this reviewResponded 11 May 2011

Hi ncmdlift

Thanks so much for your in depth review of our aloft. We are really happy that you enjoyed all aspects of your stay (especially the service!) and got to join us for the Spring Fling. I think you hit the nail on the head when you said that "I can have a good time here and relax. It's not super wild like a Penn State Party, but it's not boring either."
We hope that you can come back and vist us again soon!

Reviewed 18 April 2011

Stayed here with 2 children (13 & 18). Everyone was friendly, Charlie at the bar was very nice to talk to as my wife and I had a few drinks. Our kids loved the pool table & swimming pool.
I liked the fact that the hotel is right off of I-485 yet the area is park-like, I was able to go for a long walk in the morning as there are miles of sidewalks & paths in the area. There is also a golf course next door (which we could see from our room). My phone didn't work inside the hotel (AT&T, iphone) but the rooms had free wifi so I was able to check my email.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
ajones13, General Manager at Aloft Charlotte Ballantyne, responded to this reviewResponded 20 April 2011

Hi there jecks!

Thanks for you review of our place. We are glad that your children had a great time and that Charlotte did a good job of looking after you at the bar. We are happy that you enjoyed the setting that we are located in - we like it too!
My apologies for the at&t reception, I am working on a solution for that but in the meantime we do have rooms with better reception on the other side of the hotel so just let us know the next time you come back,

Reviewed 17 April 2011

I stayed here for a week while traveling on business.

Reception: Reception was fast and efficient. They were also informative re restaurants in the area and organized the shuttle bus to get us out and about. The reception/bar area is open plan. They also had some light live music in the evening so it turned out to be a good place to unwind at the end of the working day.

Room: The room is a little funky/retro. Check out the photos and all is explained, personally I found it to be a refreshing take on a hotel room and thought it was cool.

Breakfast: There is complimentary coffee but if you want to access the extensive breakfast range you have to pay for it.

Location: It is located near to a large mall and also there is a wide range of restaurants within walking/shuttle distance.

If you are staying in the area I would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled on business
ajones13, Manager at Aloft Charlotte Ballantyne, responded to this reviewResponded 20 April 2011

Hi PMaloney

Thanks for your thorough review of our hotel and of course recommending it to others. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay and could unwind with our live entertatinment and our refreshing funky/retro decor. They don't call Aloft's the new twist in travel for nothing!
We hope to see you again soon in the near future.
Live Life Aloft!