“Very nice and very modern”

Aloft Charlotte Ballantyne
Ranked #42 of 177 Hotels in Charlotte
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Des Moines, Iowa
“Very nice and very modern”
Reviewed 11 May 2012

My wife and I recently stayed here and the modern feel is very nice. It has a nice casual common area near the front desk with a bar and several private seating areas. Also, they have a chef on staff to prepare made to order breakfast foods (an extremely nice touch). The rooms are hip and modern. Mr. Mina Banoub who is the Guest Services Manager is fantastic at his job. He and his staff our top notch professionals and made us feel welcome. I would stay again at this hotel again and again and at all of there other locations too. I also liked the fact they reward you for going green with the towell service and room cleanup by providing a $5.00 gift card to be used elsewhere in the hotel. I noticed one reviewer mentioned Aloft is geared towards the 20 and 30 crowd but I'll tell you us older folks at 50 loved it too.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank LandMinDesMoines
ajones13, General Manager at Aloft Charlotte Ballantyne, responded to this review, 23 May 2012
Hi there Mike Wingfield

I am really happy that you and your wife had a great time with us and that Mina and the team took great care of you, I will be sure to let them know of your apprecation for them! We just won Starwood's Outstanding Environmental Sustainability Award for 2011 so we are definitely all about the green! Also anyone is welcome at the Aloft, your only as old as you feel!
We look forward to welcoming you back another time!

Alastair Jones

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
Ontario Canada
Reviewed 1 May 2012

We stayed at Aloft in late April for just one night (en route from Florida to Ontario) but wish we'd had longer! The most comfortable bed I've ever slept in, wonderful staff who go out of their way to make sure your stay is enjoyable, fabulous food (limited selection but all delicious) and a great heated pool!

We have four children 6 and under so many hotels do not accommodate us well. Here we had a king bedroom, adjoined with a double queen room. The crib, not pack n play, was set up and ready to use. We were able to have all four kids in one room and enjoy a movie and snacks from the bar in the evening.

Aloft pride themselves on being "Green" which we fully support and we love the contemporary design also. Oh, and the prices are so reasonable too!!! Overall, the best hotel stay we've had in a long time!

Room Tip: I don't think there are any bad rooms in this hotel! One side does look onto a golf course whic...
1 Thank MeggOntario
ajones13, General Manager at Aloft Charlotte Ballantyne, responded to this review, 2 May 2012
Hi MeggOntario!

Thanks for sharing your experience with us here at the Aloft. It is always nice to hear such positive feedback regarding your entire stay! Glad that you appreciate us geing green. We just recently won the Outstanding Environmental Sustainaibilty award for Starwood hotels for 2011 and we are proud to try and help the environment as much as possible in our business.

We hope to see you again on you next trip down south!

Mc Calla, Alabama
Reviewed 22 April 2012

I just cannot say enough about the aloft brand of hotels. This was my second stay at one. It is definitely geared toward the late 20s to 30s age group with all the technological conveniences (plenty of plugs right where you need them and a special unit to plug in all sorts of gadgets; you can hook up your iPhone/iPad if you have the right connector to watch Netflix on the 47" flat screen HDTV). But it's not only for my age group, my mom is in her early 60s and fell in love with this hotel too. She loves the wide open spaces, the comfy beds, and the fact that there are no ugly hotel pictures on the walls. My toddler loves that he has plenty of room to run around and that I actually allow him to run around because the floors are solid enough to not transfer the sound to the rooms below us. The design of the room is very different but makes so much more sense than your usual hotel room. The style and decor is very minimalist with clean lines and trendy color combos and graphics. The shades that cover the windows have a special design at the bottom so that when you close them it doesn't feel closed in. There is a closet behind a curtain in a sort of built-in bookcase structure. It also has a safe, coffee pot, free bottled water, cabinet space for your items, extra pillows, etc. The soap and bath products made by Bliss are great and smell awesome. The shampoo/conditioner combo and body wash are in dispensers in the shower. The shower is a glassed-in walk-in shower with a frosted glass window that faces the bedroom. We loved this feature because we could leave the light in the shower on and my toddler could have a night-light through the glass window and it wasn't so much light that it bothered the "dark sleepers." The lobby is great with a cool fireplace, lots of trendy seating and throw pillows, a pool table, places you actually want to hang out in. Games are set out around the common areas. There is a really cool courtyard area. Just inside the front doors there is a wall waterfall. They have free wifi, an indoor pool, a nice exercise room, and 24 hr re:fuel stations where you can get healthy snacks and drinks, coffee (no ugly vending machines). All the staff I came in contact with were very friendly, personable, and went out of their way to be helpful and accommodating. The neighborhood is very nice with a mixture of golf courses/clubs, corporate business buildings, upscale shopping areas, and residential areas.

Room Tip: The accessible rooms have the nicest wheelchair accessible showers I have ever seen.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
ajones13, General Manager at Aloft Charlotte Ballantyne, responded to this review, 24 April 2012
Hi there, thescholargipsy!

Thank you very much for your thorough and detailed review of our Aloft. I think you covered everything!
We hope that you can stop by for another easy breezy stay soon!

Roanoke, Virginia
Reviewed 19 April 2012

I found a great deal on this hotel online (40% off second night), and I had wanted to try out this hotel because of its contemporary design. My friend and I went to Charlotte for a Girls' Weekend. This place ended up being a perfect fit for us. We both loved the design of the hotel. Clean lines, modern look, etc.

Hugh at the front desk was very friendly and helpful and went out of his way to help us find a karaoke bar. The linens were nice, especially the fluffy towels. The hotel was having a "Spring Fling" Party the night we checked in, so it was fun to have a party atmosphere with live music, lots of people, etc. They even had a photo booth set up with props, so we got to take some funny pictures, which was fun.

We also like the fact that the hotel was close to a lot of shopping and restaurants.

The negatives for us were: No free breakfast. They do have a few items for sale near the front desk, but not much selection and overpriced. The shower was low-pressure, so I didn't feel "clean" afterwards. My bed was on the hard side, but my friend said hers was fine, so it could just be I'm used to sleeping on a softer bed.

This would not be the type of place I would go with my family of 5, but for a Girls' Weekend it was perfect. I would definitely stay again.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
Hi lilsprstr

I wanted to thank you for your review of our Aloft. I am very happy that Hugh got to assist you and that you enjoyed our Spring Fling! Unfortunately we do not offer a free breakfast, but we do offer a full breakfast menu for purchase. We have a chef that cooks to order from 6am to 10am during the week and 7am to 11am on the weekends. I apologise about the shower but we use low flow showerheads. I will look into seeing if we can find showerheads that can be adjusted for a stronger spray.

Thank you again for your feedback and we are really happy that you enjoyed your girls weekend with us!

Hopefully see you soon

Alastair
Charlotte, NC
Reviewed 9 April 2012

We were having carpet put in our home, so my husband suggested I go to a hotel with our eight-yr-old daughter. We chose Aloft Ballantyne because of location, and I wanted to see what it was about. We got a great rate of $99, so I wasn't expecting much. However, I was pleasantly surprised! If you do your homework, you will see the hotel is a limited-service hotel, so there is no room service, valet parking, etc. However, they do what they do very well. We walked inat 10:30pm and were promptly greeted by a gentleman named Trent working the front desk. He gave us our and told us the hotel had to offer: breakfast in the lobby from 6am to 10am (not included in the rate, but not expensive either), an indoor pool, 24-hr lobby market, etc...and he gave us a list of local restaurants that would deliver if we so desired. Kudos to Trent for making a great first impression. When we got to our room, we discovered it wasn't particularly spacious, but it had all the basics. The bed was wonderfully comfortable, and the shower was great too. The towels were of good quality. In fact, we have no complaints! We went downstairs for the hot breakfast, and the pancakes and bacon were delicious. Props to Chef Craig on making my very picky 8-yr-old happy! We are accustomed to five-star hotels, but we were happy to stay at Aloft Ballantyne for the night! We were comfortable, safe and in a great location for the Ballantyne area. If you want to be near uptown or even Southpark, this is not the place for you, but if your focus is south Charlotte or Ballantyne, you will be comfortable here. If you want extra luxuries, go to the Ballantyne Hotel, but if you want value and comfort, the Aloft Ballantyne is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED! Thanks to the management for running a comfortable hotel with a friendly, efficient staff.

Room Tip: Ask for an upper floor to limit street noise.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
ajones13, General Manager at Aloft Charlotte Ballantyne, responded to this review, 11 April 2012
Hi there flygal89!

Thank you for your great review and especially for recognising Trent and Craig! Our talent work hard and I wil make sure that we recognise them on our end as well for making your stay seamless and comfortable. Hopefully you will come back and see us for a staycation or drop by and have breakfast.

Thanks again, we appreciate your feedback

Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed 6 April 2012 via mobile

Third city in which I've stayed at Aloft and I'm fully embracing of this brand now. Consistent cleanliness and upkeep. This location was a virtual copy of the other two I've visited (Chapel Hill and Jacksonville.) Free WiFi works great. Very contemporary set up is all about convenience. Only negative is costs of food items that are in the fast service area. Note that this location is very back in a office building park and at high times it can take a long time to get on/off the highway and the surrounding intersections. If you have a car there are good local restaurants. Check out Tonys Pizza.

Stayed April 2012
ajones13, General Manager at Aloft Charlotte Ballantyne, responded to this review, 9 April 2012
Hello scottjens!

Just wanted to thank you for your review of the Aloft Ballantyne, we appreciate your feedback!
We also have a shuttle that can get you to any of the local restaurants within the Ballantyne area as well, so no car needed.

Thanks again and live life Aloft!

NJ
Reviewed 21 March 2012

2 Nights at this property while in area for work. I was originally booked for 1 night but after a cancelled flight I was re-routed here and they took me in and showed me what hospitality is all about.

Standard kind at end of hallway. Typical Aloft room, I enjoy it here.

They are pretty much cookie cutter so the entire property looks like the last Aloft if you have been to one before, clean, chic and has all the amenities you need. What differed here was the staff of course which were all great! They had live music in the lobby 1 night which was really nice and a nice little crowd too.

They really made me feel at home here, I would no doubt stay here again. It's close to plenty of shopping, food and all highways you may need.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
ajones13, General Manager at Aloft Charlotte Ballantyne, responded to this review, 23 March 2012
Well hello there 2worldtravelersnj!

Thank you so much for your review of our Aloft here in Ballantyne!
I am so happy that the team could make you feel at home and that they took care of you during an inconvenient time. Also glad that you enjoyed our live music and bar scene. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Until then, Live Life Aloft!

Alastair Jones
Also consider these accommodations in or near Charlotte
Staybridge Suites Charlotte Ballantyne
Homewood Suites by Hilton Charlotte Ballantyne Area
SpringHill Suites Charlotte Ballantyne Area
The Ballantyne Hotel and Lodge
Residence Inn Charlotte Piper Glen
Hilton Garden Inn Charlotte Pineville

Been to Aloft Charlotte Ballantyne? Share your experiences!