“Great fun and Flair at Aloft”

Aloft Charlotte Ballantyne
Ranked #36 of 177 Hotels in Charlotte
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Boone, North Carolina
“Great fun and Flair at Aloft”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2013

This was my first stay at an Aloft hotel. I was pleasantly surprised and enjoyed the hotel atmosphere. The common area is fun, with live music on select nights. Our business meeting included a group of 10+ people and we enjoyed being able to hang around the bar area to visit. The rooms are spacious given the European styling. Very functional.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
ajones13, General Manager at Aloft Charlotte Ballantyne, responded to this review, 18 March 2013
Well hello there Dr_E_Boone!

Thanks for the great review of our Aloft. We appreciate your great comments and it sounds like you liked the vibe of the Aloft!

We hope to see you and your colleagues next time you are in Ballantyne for a business trip!

Alastair Jones

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
Atlanta, Georgia, USA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2013 via mobile

This hotel was very trendy and "European" style. The room was fun and really clean. When you walk in you have to put your key card in a wall-slot to turn on the electricity. It was a decent size room for the price. The only weird thing is the shower as it has the frosty glass that goes into the corner of the bedroom. You can see, but can't see the person in the shower if this makes sense. I would feel awkward If I was Sharing the room with siblings, etc.

As far as the staff goes, the hotel was crowded for a convention so I was never able to use the free van shuttle service for up to 2 miles. Instead I walked about 1/2 mile to the shops and the hotel with the golf course. It is an okay area to walk around by yourself.

No hotel resturant though, just a bar and one of those catering service menus.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank Candiejo
Hi there Candiejo

I wanted to thank you for taking the time to write a review about the Aloft Charlotte Ballantyne.
I am very happy that you enjoyed your stay. we look forward to welcoming you back next time you are in town!

Washington, DC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2013

The Aloft is an interesting concept. It is sleek and modern with lots of metal, glass and bright colors. One is struck upon entering by the circular area in the center upon entering. It is the reception desk, but at first blush it looks a bit like a sales counter. The staff, however, was outstanding and very accommodating. That was true of every staff member throughout my stay.

The hotel has some very nice features such as a pool open until 1:00 am and a 24 hour gym. It is a green hotel and certified as such. Everything humanly possible to be environmentally responsible has been done. Among other things, one has to insert a key to turn on the lights in the room, and one can opt out of maid service in exchange for a voucher good for credit on a snack or meal or Starwood points.

The snack bar produces decent breakfast options fairly priced, but it is truly more of a snack bar than a restaurant. The bar area seems well equipped, however.

Rooms are adequate in size (two queen beds will get you more room than a king), but certainly "different." When I entered the room, I entered the bath area with sink, etc., though the toilet and shower are in an adjacent space. There is a use of cubby spaces and the like.. I must say it took some getting used to. I found the decor too modernistic for my tastes, though adequate in comfort. The bed was great complete with comforter.

I did miss having a restaurant in the hotel, particularly since there are few restaurants close by.

I should also say that with the space age decor came great AV technology, a large flat screen television, but a retro alarm clock that rings like clocks back in the day. One would have to be comatose to sleep through that clock.

In sum, though I prefer more traditional hotel rooms, the service by the staff, the environmental consciousness, etc. made this a pleasant enough stay.

Room Tip: Get two queen beds rather than a king
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
ajones13, General Manager at Aloft Charlotte Ballantyne, responded to this review, 2 March 2013
Hi Ken 4401!

Thanks for your thorough and detailed review of our Aloft. I really appreciate you taking the time to give us your feedback. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay even if the design and style of our property were not exactly to your tastes. Thank you for noticing our commitment to the environment and the service of the talent who work here. One thing to note is that we have a complientary shuttle that will take you to over 60 restaurants within a 2 mile radius of the hotel for future stays.
We hope that you will stop by and visit us again in the future!

Arlington, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2013

We were in Charlotte for five nights last week. The Aloft staff went out of their way to help us. The facility is new, clean, cool, with lots to do for kids. Nice bar and lobby area with games. Pool and fitness center were great. Rooms were large, clean, well designed, with lots of neat little extras. Definitely a green facility as well. Typical awesome Starwood beds too. Highly recommend to business or leisure travelers.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
ajones13, General Manager at Aloft Charlotte Ballantyne, responded to this review, 26 February 2013
Hi Pennquaker

I wanted to say thanks for taking the time to write a review about our property. We are very pleased to see that you and your family had a great time! We look forward to seeing you the next time you are in town.

Cheers!

Hartford, CT
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2013

I had to stay here instead of my usual place at the Westin Charlotte due to a convention being in town, and all the downtown hotels being sold out. This is a newer property, and while it is a bit out of the way ($55 cab ride from airport), it was a very pleasant experience. Rooms were a good size, and the furnishings and decorations are a bit eclectic, but not too over the top. Breakfast was self-service, but they had a decent variety. Service was very good - the front desk attendant even helped me staple some presentations.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
Hi hegartnw

I wanted to thank you for your review of our Aloft. i am glad you enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to you staying with us again in the future!

Spartanburg, South Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2013

While in Charlotte-South for a soccer tournament over the weekend, we stayed at the Ballantyne Aloft and were thoroughly impressed! Hugh offered us a warm and friendly greeting upon our arrival and made us feel excited about being there. He was also very helpful the second night when we were seeking restaurant recommendations. The rooms were clean and well-kept and offered all the amenities a familily of 2+2 were in need of (plenty outlets to charge electronics!)... the boys really enjoyed the fresh, contemporary design of the Aloft (even riding the elevators was fun!) Thanks to the whole staff for taking care of us, we will definitely be back!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
ajones13, General Manager at Aloft Charlotte Ballantyne, responded to this review, 11 February 2013
Hi there Tim B!

Thanks for taking the time out of your busy schedule to write a review on our Aloft.
I am very happy to hear that everyone enjoyed their stay and that Hugh stood out for you.
I will be sure to commend him on a job well done!
Hopefully you will be back for another soccer tournament or weekend getaway soon!

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2013

I just left the aloft in Ballantyne. I regularly stay here time and time again when I am travelling for work. The location is fantastic and the facility is always immaculate and stylish. What really makes this hotel is the people. They are that living manifestation of what every hotel regardless of size, price and brand strives for. Everyone is so willing to help and be involved that it appears they will do everything, roles don't define the people working at this hotel.

On my most recent trip, I forgot three expensive neck ties in my room and didn't discover this until arriving home many miles away. I called and the Manager Mina immediately sought to understand the situation and investigate. He was professional, thorough and detailed. Confirmed the plan and how to reach me. I received a call back very quickly and he individually identified each of the three tie to confirm that all had been found. He worked with me to understand my needs and priorities and had these shipped back to me appropriately. It's easy to see why he is the Manager.

Recovering these ties is a perfect example of the type of people and service that the hotel offers. I've had other hotels costing 5 times more a night in the biggest cities that were unable or unwilling to help. This really makes the aloft in Ballantyne world class.

Thank you aloft Ballantyne for reinforcing all my existing reasons for making this the only choice when I come to Charlotte.

Additionally, went swimming for the first time after many visits here and it's great that I can swim up to 1:00 a.m. after a long working day. I would stay here at this hotel and enjoy it even more if I weren't working. The Bartender is a great Guy, everyone likes him.

Room Tip: They're all good rooms I've stayed on different floors and in double and king bed rooms. T...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Richard W
ajones13, General Manager at Aloft Charlotte Ballantyne, responded to this review, 14 January 2013
Hi Richard W!

Thanks for the great comments. We appreciate you taking the time to commend our team!
I will be sure to pass your comments along to Mina and Matt the bartender!. We look forward to seeing you next time around.

Alastair Jones
Also consider these accommodations in or near Charlotte
Staybridge Suites Charlotte Ballantyne
Homewood Suites by Hilton Charlotte Ballantyne Area
SpringHill Suites Charlotte Ballantyne Area
The Ballantyne Hotel and Lodge
Residence Inn Charlotte Piper Glen
Hilton Garden Inn Charlotte Pineville

Been to Aloft Charlotte Ballantyne? Share your experiences!