“The budget minded W comes up a bit short”

Aloft Charlotte Ballantyne
Ranked #39 of 178 Hotels in Charlotte
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
New York City, New York
“The budget minded W comes up a bit short”
Reviewed 5 May 2014

Aloft attempts to be a cooler more budget oriented W from the starwood chain. It definitely tries hard with the hard floors in the room, shower instead of bath and lobby with bar and pool table and use of trendy words for the various areas.

At the end of the day this is a budget minded hotel like Hilton Garden inn with a bar and different design aesthetic. I could have given this place 4 stars but a couple things caused me not to.

First the good. The beds were comfortable as they had a mix of down and polyester pillows for those with allergies. I like the dispensers for the body wash and shampoo as always find the mini bottles wasteful. TV was nice as had multiple channels of Showtime though no PPV movie that I could tell of. The bar was good as had pretty much every brand of liquor you want plus a few beers on tap. I also like the pool table though would have preferred a regulation one instead of bar size as they had the room. Also the rack was a bit too big and made it hard to create a packed rack. The gym and pool also looked nice though did not use either. Hotel had washing facilities on some of the floors. They also have a shuttle that will take you within a mile though not sure how long need to wait to get picked up so ended up just driving.

Things that detracted from stay was that the food at the bar was pretty bad as was served food in plastic container and the pizza tasted like cardboard. I think it would have almost been better if they did not has food choices and left it to you to grab food from their deli like selection or from places in the area.. Had two bad service issues at the hotel as had booked over the phone and was given two queen beds and was not asked if that is what I wanted from the desk. Also they mixed up my bill as was charged 40 dollars more for the room than what was quoted. This took two attempts to fix at the front desk. Lastly and this is not surprising considering area is that the place is dead on Fridays and Sundays as bar was packed on Thursday when arrived but on weekend it clears out though heard the one near the Epicentre is packed.

That being said if looking during the week for a more budget minded hotel than the Ballantyne next door or have to be in the area and want some faux trendiness and a decent bar this place will suit the bill and will not leave your wallet too drained. I think I will return to the Rennascience in Southpark when come back to Charlotte as would have stayed there this time but it was booked up due to the golf tournament in town.

Room Tip: Do not pay extra for golf view as not that much different than other view.
Green Features: I liked them as think the mini bottles at most hotels are wasteful and have no problems with the dispensers.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank bccorb
Rebecca W, Manager at Aloft Charlotte Ballantyne, responded to this review, 7 May 2014
Dear bccorb,
Thank you for choosing to stay with us during your recent trip to Charlotte and for your review. We are happy to hear that you found our beds comfortable and that you appreciate our green initiatives but we do understand that our design does not appeal to everyone. We apologize that the food provided at our w xyz bar did not meet your expectations, and also that you experienced difficulties with your billing but are pleased to hear they have since been resolved. We do hope you will give Aloft Charlotte Ballantyne another try in the future, and would be happy to assist you directly in making your next reservation to ensure you receive your choice bed type. Please don’t hesitate to call us directly at 704-247-2244. Thank you again for trying our hotel!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
North Carolina
Reviewed 30 April 2014

I have stayed at a few Alofts and this is exactly what I expected. Convenient, reasonably priced. Feels newer and has more of a fun vibe. I would stay here again. The gym has what you need with a cardio machines and dumbbells. I like the pool table in the lobby as well.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
rwhitmarsh01, General Manager at Aloft Charlotte Ballantyne, responded to this review, 1 May 2014
Dear EJG4,

Thank you for your review! We are so happy to know you enjoyed your experience and the overall vibe of the hotel. We are glad you liked the gym and pool table as well! Thank you for staying with us and we hope to see you again!
Ahmedabad, India
Reviewed 18 April 2014

new property with a happy service and truly southern hospitality. the rooms and beds are nice as well as the sound proofing. the rooms facing the golf course are nicest. the front office staff and the bar staff are very helpful and knowledgeable of the area.

Room Tip: take golf course facing rooms
Green Features: all eco friendly habits in place and functional. the segregation of the garbage, the aircon system and the lights work great.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
rwhitmarsh01, Manager at Aloft Charlotte Ballantyne, responded to this review, 22 April 2014
Dear ViralAhmedabad_India,
We are happy to hear you found our staff to be helpful, and that you enjoyed the southern hospitality of our team while recently visiting with us. We hope you will return to see us again soon!
Pennsylvania suburb
Reviewed 11 April 2014

Everything about the hotel is spot on - clean, comfy, modern, visually pleasing, etc, etc. But I really want to mention the staff. Wow - so friendly and accomodating. They take customer service to a new level. I especially want to mention Hugh from the front desk. The Aloft hotel is very lucky to have someone like him on staff. When you think of who you want to be "customer-facing" Hugh comes to mind. Thanks for a terrific stay.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
rwhitmarsh01, Manager at Aloft Charlotte Ballantyne, responded to this review, 15 April 2014
Dear 3hundrd,

Thank you for your kind comments! We are thrilled our staff exceeded you expectations. We truly are lucky to have Hugh on our team. We look forward to welcoming you back!
Florida
Reviewed 4 April 2014

I loved the Aloft Ballantyne. The room was spacious and I loved the modern feel of the place. I was impressed with the attention to detail and the efficiency of the room. I was also impressed with the focus on being environmentally friendly.

My only complaint was with an extremely rowdy wedding party that was staying on my floor. When I called the front desk, there was an immediate response from the front desk person. He was courteous, but firm. I appreciated the fact that he understood that the comfort of all the guests is important. I would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the elevators since I could hear them clearly from my room.
Green Features: I love the recycling and the lights that automatically go out when you remove the key.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
rwhitmarsh01, Manager at Aloft Charlotte Ballantyne, responded to this review, 6 April 2014
Dear dtravelmomma,
We appreciate your taking the time to share your feedback with us. We are glad you enjoyed our guestrooms and also our focus on being environmentally friendly. We are however, sorry to hear that your sleep was disrupted by another guest. Please accept our apology for this disturbance, and reach out to us directly at 704-247-2244 to assist in making any future reservations. We hope to see you again soon!
New York City, New York
Reviewed 23 March 2014

Just completed a great stay at the Aloft Ballantyne. The staff certainly live up to their "Highest Rated Aloft in the nation" rating. Location is great for a business traveler because of the large selection of dining options in the area. This location is much quieter than the Aloft downtown which is nice.

Heading NW on 485 can lead to some traffic in the morning. Other than that, I would return here again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
rwhitmarsh01, Manager at Aloft Charlotte Ballantyne, responded to this review, 25 March 2014
Dear CWGators22,
Thanks for the feedback, and we are happy you had a great stay with us! We are indeed proud of the team that we have in place, and are glad to hear you enjoyed our location. We hope to see you again soon!
Oakland, California
Reviewed 14 March 2014

Don't let the 3-star rating seem like a bad thing. When you think about the range of hotels in the world, and the relative inflexibility of a 5-star system, a 3 is not bad. Think of "successful" rather than "average." The aLoft in Charlotte/Ballantyne is an average aLoft, which is to say that it is better than average, but I wouldn't go so far as to say it is Very Good or Excellent. "Quite Good" would fit is nicely. So would a 3.5, which is what I wish I could rate it. It has that W flavor, that obvious yearning to be trendy. The staff is very friendly, the facilities are modern; lots of neon in the lobby area. I agree with another reviewer's reference to the IKEA-ness of the place, but it is all functional, with nice clean and simple lines. If you want Italian rococo, this ain't your place. But I liked it. The shower was very nice, large, with good water pressure. Bed was comfortable. Located near lots of large and small shopping centers/malls, and at least one very good espresso shop. I also like their approach to environmentalism: instead of a placard that tells you how much they care about the environment, they actually give you an economic incentive to forego daily laundry. Didn't eat there, and didn't have room services. But I would definitely stay again. Maybe that makes it a 4.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
rwhitmarsh01, Manager at Aloft Charlotte Ballantyne, responded to this review, 17 March 2014
Dear GregH,
Thanks for providing us with your comments! We are glad to learn you found our staff to be friendly, and are also happy to hear our desire to be “green” is transparent . If there is anything we can do to make your next stay at Aloft Charlotte Ballantyne better, just say the word!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Charlotte
Staybridge Suites Charlotte Ballantyne
Hampton Inn & Suites Charlotte/Ballantyne
Homewood Suites by Hilton Charlotte Ballantyne Area
The Ballantyne, Charlotte
The Ballantyne, Charlotte
#6 of 178 in Charlotte
SpringHill Suites Charlotte Ballantyne Area
Hilton Garden Inn Charlotte Pineville

Been to Aloft Charlotte Ballantyne? Share your experiences!