“Unassuming from the outside”
Review of Bistro La Bon

Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Pecan Ave
Transit: Bus Number 9, 17, 39
Reviewed 2 February 2014

I've visited Bistro La Bon three times and each of those times it has been outstanding. The service is attentive and the prices aren't unreasonable for the food you get. Of all the dishes my husband and I have tasted our favourites are the Swedish meatballs (the Lingonberry sauce makes this) and the Bourbon Brioche Bread pudding. However, we highly recommend: Crispy Avocado & Asparagus, Pan Seared Halloumi, Lamb Belly, Lavender Chicken, Vanilla Orange Creme Brulee, Flourless Chocolate Truffle Cake.

1  Thank st3phi3

Reviewed 25 January 2014

My husband and I went for Charlotte Restaurant week where we had 4 courses for $30. The food was very good but there were a few minor things to note. I'm not sure if the portion size was smaller due to restaurant week…? One of my choices was the gnocchi appetizer. It was delicious but there were 5 gnocchi's on the plate. I think this is an $8-9 app on the regular menu. If I paid that money and they brought out 5 normal sized gnocchi, I would have been steamed. One annoyance was that there is no salt or pepper on the table. The gnocchi really could have used a pinch of salt on top. We asked our waiter for some pepper and he brought over a mill to pepper the gnocchi but nothing for us to have on our table. My husband's salad could have used pepper but nothing and we were not offered pepper on our entrees either. ??!! Is there a shortage on pepper??!!

Otherwise, I had the beet, apple, goat cheese & passion fruit salad. I see that someone raved about it but I could not do the same. I had one gum ball sized piece of goat cheese on the salad and the flavor of passion fruit sauce could not be detected. I also had the Mahi Mahi with lentils and the bread pudding with caramel sauce. These were delicious!! My husband had the flour less chocolate cake and he enjoyed it but I thought it was average. The caramel sauce on the bread pudding was insanely delicious and that dessert made the entire meal.

Husband also ordered the salad with lemon dill dressing (delicious, I would have liked a side of the dressing for my fish), the tapenade trio of beans, pimento cheese, and artichoke dip (pimento cheese was the favorite), steak with faro. He ordered the steak medium well and it was medium at best. The faro was the other hit of the night. It was SOOO good!! Oh I forgot to mention the jalapeño basil lemon martini the Mr ordered. It had just a little kick to it but not bad. He raved about it and I have to agree that it was fantastic.

Spotlight on the faro side dish, bread pudding with caramel and the jalapeño martini. I hope that the portions would be larger if you ordered them outside of restaurant week or I would feel hipped but the food was creative and good overall. My request is to please put salt and pepper shakers on the tables!!!! Loved the atmosphere!

Reviewed 6 January 2014

Bistro La Bon used to be my favorite place to eat and drink. The atmosphere and food was always outstanding even if it was a little expensive. BUT the last two times I have gone, the service has been terrible. The first bad experience it took forever for the initial round of drinks to show up and was impossible to find or flag down the waiter for additional drinks after our food order was placed. This last Saturday was the last straw. 4 of us went to have a drink at the bar, we met two other friends later in the evening. The first round of drinks came out in a good amount of time. Afterwards it was like we were invisible. The waitress/bartender walked by the table and didn’t even look in our direction, no matter how many times we tried to make eye contact or get her attention. We had to finally go to the bar just to get the bill. BUT the most outrageous slap in the face was the fact she added an automatic 20% to our bill AT THE BAR!! We ordered no food and I have never had any restaurant bar add an automatic 20% at the bar. Typically the standard is to tip less at the bar since you don’t order any food, even though I usually always will tip 20%, but in this case I assume she knew she wasn’t getting a good tip and decided to make sure she got a good one anyway. Rather than have to deal with it we paid and left and will not be back.

2  Thank Bryan M
Reviewed 27 December 2013

Be sure to check out their beer and wine tasting events, which are paired with food and reasonably priced. Also, pay attention to their bar bites. Chef Majid has consistently outdone many other flashy, high-profile restaurants in the area. Locally sourced items, such as Tega Hills Farm produce, are found. At $20, the Sunday brunch isn't cheap, but is well worth it.

Reviewed 18 November 2013

My wife and I had dinner here on Saturday. It was fantastic. The place is very cozy. It is small so you don't get "lost in the crowd". Michael was our waiter and was great. My wife and I shared a lot of dishes and I can recommend them all. We had the Artisan Cheese plate, Lavender Chicken, Gnocchi, Duck Confit and the Swedish Meatballs. Everything was excellent. There are "small plates" which are reminiscent of tappas so you are not locked in to one food. Or you can have an entree. To finish the meal, I had the Flourless Chocolate Truffle Cake. I had the chef substitue the normal accompaniment of mango sorbet with vanilla ice cream. I did not share this particular part of the meal. All mine! Out of this world. The place isn't a quiet restaurant but the noise level was not distracting at all. The lighting is perfect and if you get the right seat, you can look at the uptown skyline. And the prices are extremely out of whack from the quality of the meal. Most small plates will only run you $10.00. 5-star dining at 3-star prices. Definitely will return!!