“Very Solid Hotel”

HYATT house Charlotte Center City
Ranked #11 of 180 Hotels in Charlotte
Reviewed 25 June 2011

Clean, upscale, modern, new, spacious rooms, kind and friendly staff, free hot breakfasts and wifi, valet parking, full-service hotel. What more can I say? My weeklong stay for business was quite pleasant all the way around.

I visit Charlotte regularly on business and decided to "try" the Hotel Sierra when I could not get a room for 5 days at my normal haunts --- Hilton, Marriott. My decision was based primarily on the hotels great reviews. I was not disappointed.

My king room was spacioius and included a nicely appointed kitchette (full fridge, small stove, d/w, microwave, eating/cooking utensils)--a great option for those wanting to eat in. (There is a small, but adequately stocked, Harris Teeter nearby for those willing to walk a half mile). The room came with a very large TV unit compared to what most hotels offer and I enjoyed fast, reliable wifi during my stay. The shower area was very nicely sized and had a spread out feel to it.

The hotel staff were welcoming and attentive, but not overly so. It is clear that the hotel hires staff that are outgoing and people-oriented and also train them well. The breakfast that is provided is very well done, with made-to-order omelettes and other hot and cold items--definitely not your cheap continental breakfast. The Starbucks was very welcomed for those who like coffee.

The hotel on the "edge" of downtown right next to the Time-Warner arena and is conveniently within walking distance of the EpiCenter and the rest of what downtown Charlotte has to offer---businesses and restaurants alike. The bus/train station is just down & across the street. I said the "edge" because the bus/train station, as in most cities, seemed to attract the loiterers and down-and-outers a bit and the adjoining undeveloped lot across the street did not seem to help matters in this regard. For this reason, some patrons might have an uneasiness about the feel of the "neighborhood", being on the "edge" so-to-speak. I did not have an issue with the neighborhood personally (though I was back in my room before twilight) , but I can understand if others might. I am not going to discount by 5-star review for what the hotel cannot directly control in this regard, though readers may want to take this into account when looking for accomodations in downtown Charlotte.

Would I stay again?...quite probably.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank 1-spidermonkey-1

Reviewed 19 June 2011

It was a nice Saturday so my boyfriend and I took the day to go in an exploring walk and ended up walking to downtown (I'm about a mile and a half from downtown). I've been wanting to check this place out so we walked through the lobby to see what it looked like and then over to the Epicentre to grab some lunch. I googled the hotel on my phone while at lunch just to see what all the amenities were and when I saw the $109 online rates, we decided it would be a fun get away to make a night of downtown dinner, movie, out... Very nice place and the "extras" are what make it a step up from the competition - nice kitcheonette with glasses, plates, silver and full size refrigerator. Very nice modern decor and spacious room with a wonderful view. It's a great location as well and depending on what is going on in downtown, you may be able to park in the lot directly next to the hotel for $5 - saves you the $22 parking and it's literally right by the hotel. Internet worked great, staff was very friendly and breakfast was exceptional for an included breakfast. I would definitely recommend this hotel to others!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank tsouth74
HSCharlotteGenMgr, General Manager at HYATT house Charlotte Center City, responded to this reviewResponded 21 June 2011

Dear Valued Guest,

We are so glad you enjoyed your overnight stay with us so much that you will recommend to others. It sounds like you had a great night exploring the restaurants and going to a movie. Thank you for the nice comments regarding the hotel and amenities offered.
We are glad you decided to give Hotel Sierra a try and look forward to hosting you again.

Reviewed 17 June 2011

We recently stayed one night at Hotel Sierra on the way from CLT up to the mountains. The hotel was in a great location - walking distance to several good restaurants and bars. The staff were friendly and helpful. Loved the modern decor and free WiFi! The hotel was very clean, our room was quiet, spacious, and comfortable, and breakfast was great. We left the next morning rested, refreshed, and ready for our drive. We were very impressed and had a great stay!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends

Dear Valued Guest,

I am delighted to read you had a great experience at Hotel Sierra. Thank you for your kind comments regarding the staff and amenities offered. Thank you for staying with us and we hope to see you again.

Reviewed 13 June 2011

This is our second stay at this hotel. We love the decor and room layout. It is a great location for any downtown event. The free breakfast is much nicer than other hotels breakfasts. My only complaint would be how the doors click shut. I am a light sleeper and whenever anyone closes their door, it wakes me up. I couldn't get back to sleep one morning because it seemed like every few minutes a door slammed. Also just a warning the pool is extremely small but nice.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank azbaker
HSCharlotteGenMgr, General Manager at HYATT house Charlotte Center City, responded to this reviewResponded 14 June 2011

Dear Valued Guest,

I thank you for being a repeat guest for your downtown getaways. It is great to read your positive comments regarding the décor, location of the hotel and the quality of the breakfast. I do apologize you were bothered by the doors. For safety reasons, they are self closing which can sometimes be loud.

I look forward to hosting you again.

Reviewed 13 June 2011

Stayed at Hotel Sierra for one night, was traveling from NY to Atlanta and stopped in Charlotte. Booked a One Bedroom Suite and the room was nicely appointed (room even had a full kitchen). Bed was comfortable however the room was not as quiet as I would have liked. Could hear the activities of the room next door through the living room and the closed doors of the bedroom. The complimentary breakfast was great (hot and cold options) and the drinks at the bar were reasonable for being a hotel bar. Staff was friendly and helpful!

This hotel is a great option for traveler's on extended stays and for people attending events at the Time Warner Center (hotel is right next door).

Room Tip: Get a nice large One Bedroom Suite!
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for staying with us at Hotel Sierra. We are so delighted to read your review and are glad you found the suite to be nicely appointed and you enjoyed the breakfast and cocktails at the bar. I do apologize for the noise you could hear while in your room.

Thank you for choosing Hotel Sierra and we hope to have the opportunity to host you again.

Reviewed 20 May 2011

My wife an I had to connect in Charlotte on to the way back from Fort Myers to our home in London. I knew nothing about the city, but thought may as well spend a few nights there. I found this new hotel on a special rate on Expedia so went for it. In short vey glad I did. The hotel was beautifully done out, location near on unbeatable, and the staff really very pleasant. The complimentary breakfast was also a very nice bonus, and not bad quality at all.

You could tell this was a brand new hotel the place was spotless. It's right next door to the Time Warner stadium, and pretty much walking distance to every attraction in the city. The area in and around the hotel is also wonderfully policed, so my wife and I felt extremely safe when walking back from dinner which we usually went for at the nearby Epicenter which is about a five minute walk.

I would thoroughly recommend this hotel for both business and pleasure, but as a new hotel it's only natural that a few wrinkles need to be ironed out. Nothing major, but a couple of things I think it would be good for the management to look at.

1) They don't do any room service which is absolutely fine, but when I phoned front desk to recommend any nearby delivery places I was basically told to Google it. May I suggest that you strike a couple of relationships with nearby take out places, and have the details on hand for guests.

2) We asked for the front desk to enquire about hockey tickets as well as one or two other services for us. I was told that I would be called back within the hour, but after two hours of waiting had to call back myself and was told I wouldn't have the answer until morning. I don't think this was deliberate at all because I found the staff lovely, but just need to make sure as a new hotel there is some sort of system.

On the whole had a great and enjoyable stay, and if one or two teething problems are sorted out this will be one of the top places to stay in Charlotte.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple

Dear Valued Guest,

We thank you for giving Hotel Sierra a try. I am pleased to read you found the hotel to be in great location within walking distance to several attractions. I thank you for your suggestion regarding a listing of nearby restaurants that deliver. I do apologize for the lack of service you received when inquiring about hockey tickets. I have shared your comments with the staff to ensure we can provide top notch service going forward.

Thank you again for staying with us and we hope you will stay with us the next time you are in Charlotte.

Reviewed 19 May 2011

We stayed at Hotel Sierra by chance, through a random booking with Hotwire.com to receive a better deal. After finding out our hotel we were amazed.
Staff was extremely friendly and helpful. Rooms were amazing! Big beds, lots of lighting, amazing bathroom! The hotel was spotlessly clean. Pool on 7th floor and weight room.
Complementary breakfast was the best I have experienced: omlettes, bacon, sausage, French toast, cereals, muffins, bagels, fresh fruit and yogurt. Complementary Starbucks coffe, assorted teas, milk, and orange juice.
Best hotel experience I have had within the states. Hotel Sierra is providing the service most hotels lack. Very impressive and would recommend to anyone.

• Stayed: May 2011

Dear Valued Guest,

Best hotel experience you've had in the states is a very nice compliment! I am so delighted you enjoyed your stay. Thank you for the kind words regarding the cleanliness of the hotel, service and décor. I am so glad you enjoyed the complimentary breakfast and I thank you for recommending to others. We look forward to hosting you in the future.