“Very nice, except the pillows”

HYATT house Charlotte Center City
Ranked #12 of 178 Hotels in Charlotte
Reviewed 18 November 2012

I came to Charlotte for a conference and needed a place to stay downtown (or, Uptown, as it's called). Hyatt House's location was ideal, the price was good, as were the reviews. I booked a King studio suite which came with a mini kitchen that had a full size fridge, a microwave, and a small stove and dishwasher. The cupboards are stocked with dishes, pots, and pans. This alone makes it a great choice for anyone wanting to cook in the room or who is staying for an extended period of time.

In the room, the decor is somewhat modern, with lots of gray and white accented by purple. The bed was very comfortable, but the pillows were not - they would 'deflate' overnight, meaning they were too flat by morning but too puffy to stack up at night. The bathroom is nice, with a huge and functional shower - the only complaint here is that there are no drawers in the sink vanity, just two open little cubbies, so you can't really put anything 'away'. In addition to the usual soaps, etc., they stocked the bathroom with a small tube of toothpaste. The living room has a couch and a coffee table/ottoman, plus a writing desk. There is no safe in the room.

Notes about the hotel in general: the staff were all friendly and helpful, check-in was smooth, and smoking is not allowed. There is a free breakfast each morning which generally consisted of eggs, some kind of meat (ham, bacon, etc), potatoes, grits, an assortment of pastries, fruit, cereal, coffee, tea, etc. and an omelet station. Also free is the wifi available throughout the hotel and the business center where you can use their computers to print your boarding pass, etc. The location is ideal, near the Epicenter and almost across the street from the bus station. There isn't much of a view, since across the street is a parking lot, but I suspect few hotels in Charlotte have anything approaching a view.

Overall, I enjoyed my stay here and would do so again - especially if I pack my own pillow!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
matthew_allen30, Director of Sales at HYATT house Charlotte Center City, responded to this reviewResponded 19 November 2012

Thank you for leaving your review, we are very glad you enjoyed your stay. I was sorry to hear you did not like our pillows, since they are feather pillows, they do have the tendency to "deflate" over night. We do offer foam pillows upon request which may offer a little more support.
Please keep us in mind the next time you are in Charlotte, we would love to have you back!

Reviewed 15 November 2012

The Hyatt house Charlotte Center City is a small personable boutique style hotel. Their saying says it all… ‘You’re not just a guest. You’re a welcome resident!” From the minute you enter the doors into their chic lobby/reservation area you feel welcomed. The Hyatt house is adjacent to the Time Warner Cable Arena and that’s perfect for you basketball fans! Everything you need is within walking distance. There is an EpiCentre which has a CVS Pharmacy and is known as an entertainment and dining marketplace. The LYNX light rail is right next door to the EpiCentre. You find yourself 3 blocks from the NASCAR Hall of Fame, 5 blocks from the Wells Fargo Center and if you’re in town for a meeting like we were, you are 6 blocks from the Convention Center. The walk to and from the convention center is a nice stroll…either to wake you up in the morning or exercise those legs after a long day in technical sessions. If you don’t feel like walking to the CC, the Hyatt House has a complimentary limo service to the convention center.

The HH has a complimentary breakfast with TO DIE FOR omelets! The HH also has a full bar along with what they call a Sip+Savor Menu…just perfect for that small, hit the spot meal. They also have a little market place where you can buy food of all sorts for you room, since the room is equipped with a full-stocked kitchen and a full-size refrigerator.

If you are one that likes to travel with your pet(s)…yes, pets are allowed!

On more of a personal note, during our stay, my husband got sick. When I went down to get a Sprite from the market place, the person at the front desk asked me if everything was OK. I told her that my husband was sick and she jumped into action! Made sure I had crackers, even got the waiter that was leaving for the night to go to the kitchen and get me assorted crackers. The next morning, I went back down to the market place to get more drinks for the refrigerator and that same person was there and the first thing she wanted to know was “How is your husband this morning!” Plus she was handing me more crackers.

ALSO, and unfortunately you don’t find this too often any more when traveling, but when we leave heading back home…I had this feeling that I had left something or I was missing something. Couldn’t put my finger on it. Anyway as we got closer to Atlanta, it dawned on me what it was…MY WALLET! Yes, we get home; I immediately unpacked my bags to find that in deed I had left my wallet, driver’s licenses, credit cards and cash. We called the HH, the young lady at the desk she would check with Housekeeping and call us back. She did just that! She had good news that Housekeeping did have my wallet and they would Next Day Deliver it to me via FedEx. It’s good to know that there are still some honest people in this world.

I would highly recommend the Hyatt House Charlotte Convention Center if you are in the area!

Room Tip: All of their rooms are either King Studio's or two room suites and some with balconies. Not a b...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
matthew_allen30, Director of Sales at HYATT house Charlotte Center City, responded to this reviewResponded 16 November 2012

Thank you so much for your review of our hotel! I think we are going to need to call you to help out the next time we need write a new description of our hotel.
We hope to see you again the next time you are in Charlotte!

Reviewed 13 November 2012

We flew to Charlotte on 11/10/12 for the sole purpose of going to see the Denver Broncos play the Carolina Panthers and stayed in this hotel for two nights. We had a king bed and the room had a little sitting area with a couch and another chair. Mini kitchen had everything you could need for a few night stay, including utensils, a dishwasher, full fridge, and a wine bottle opener. Hotel was great- bed was comfortable (on the firm side, which I love, but not everyone does), bathroom was nice, room was clean, etc. Front desk staff were great and helpful. The business center was right in front of the elevators and we had no trouble printing off our boarding passes for our flights. The hot breakfast was good and the omelet station was fantastic! Staff during breakfast was extremely nice, funny, and friendly. Actually, everyone we made contact with during our stay was friendly- from housekeeping to the maintenance man we talked to in the elevator! We did walk onto the outside patio area that had the very small outdoor pool - it was off of the 7th floor. Good area to take a glass of wine or a cocktail and sit outside and look at the city. For our purposes, the hotel was about a mile from the NFL stadium (Bank of America Stadium). It was an enjoyable walk through the downtown (or uptown as they call it) area. Yes, the hotel is near the bus terminal station but we did not feel unsafe as some of the other reviewers mentioned. There were police/security outside whenever we walked by, no matter the time of day/night. The hotel is within walking distance to most of the restaurants/bars in the uptown area. The hotel is right next to Time Warner if you are traveling for a basketball game or concert. We were able to go to a bar at the Epicenter (about two blocks away) called Howling at the Moon. It was a dueling piano bar and we highly recommend! We didn't use any bus or train services while there. We did take a taxi from the aiport to the hotel and it was $25.00 each way (not including tip). The hotel was less than 10 miles from the airport. This was our first trip to Charlotte and we enjoyed every second!

Room Tip: Higher floors have better views.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
matthew_allen30, Director of Sales at HYATT house Charlotte Center City, responded to this reviewResponded 14 November 2012

Wow! Thank you so much for your review! It is great to hear you enjoyed your stay so much while you were with us. Please come back and see us anytime you are in Charlotte.

Reviewed 12 November 2012 via mobile

Very nice and clean! Up to date rooms and very clean. Great hot breakfast and the bar is loaded with good beers and spirits! The hotel has a great location and its easy to walk just about anywhere in the up-town area! I'll stay there again!!!

• Stayed: November 2012
matthew_allen30, Director of Sales at HYATT house Charlotte Center City, responded to this reviewResponded 21 November 2012

Thank you so much for your fantastic review, I hope we will see you back again soon!

Reviewed 12 November 2012

We stayed at the Hyatt House when we were in town for a Panthers game. The room was very well laid out and everything is new and clean looking. The bed was VERY comfortable and the bathroom is nicer than mine at home. Breakfast was pretty good but the waffles were a little hard. Next time I would wait in line for the omelette station, it looked really tasty.

My only complaint (which is not necessarily the hotel's fault) is that we could hear other (loud) guests coming in at all hours of the night. Maybe a little soundproofing would help? Other than that, our stay was great.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
matthew_allen30, Director of Sales at HYATT house Charlotte Center City, responded to this reviewResponded 13 November 2012

Thank you for leaving such a great review for us! It is too bad you did not have a chance to try one of our omelets, they are fantastic!
Please come back and see us anytime.

Reviewed 12 November 2012 via mobile

Flew to Charlotte with my son for a Panther game. The hotel was a block from where the Bobcats play so we happened upon tickets while walking to dinner Saturday night. Hotel is close to everything & it is one of the nicest hotels I've stayed in & I'm a hotel snob! Highly recommend!!

• Stayed: November 2012

Thank you so much for your review of our hotel. We are very happy to hear you enjoyed your stay, and were able to see so much of Charlotte!

Reviewed 4 November 2012

This hotel WOWED me right away when I got into my room. The room's spaciousness and features were just great and sold me. The bed was INCREDIBLY comfortable and the bath was nice, with a walk in shower. The kitchen area was super nice, with the ability to store plenty of food and make plenty too. It was really a studio apartment. My only problem with the room was that there was no remote for my TV and even after asking for it twice, I never received one. The hotel gave me a small adjustment on the price of a room due to this issue, which was appreciated. Additionally there were a couple areas in the room that weren't as clean as I thought they should be (smudges on the windows, areas on the sink that weren't super clean, etc) and I really hate the in room toiletries they provide as they are extremely perfumed.

The lobby and breakfast were very nice. The breakfast makes the price even better. Parking is a bit weird, esp. if you aren't familiar with it before you go. It is valet only (22/night, with in/out privileges) and you pull in as if you would go into a garage, right next to the hotel lobby entry doors.

Gym area looked nice enough, but I didn't g3et a chance to use it.

Overall...really enjoyed this hotel and will stay there again, along with trying to find this hotel in other cities.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
matthew_allen30, Director of Sales at HYATT house Charlotte Center City, responded to this reviewResponded 6 November 2012

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel, we are very happy you enjoyed your stay with us.
We do apologize for you not having a remote, and again for not getting one. We have discussed the policies with our front desk staff about room requests/needs so this does not happen again.
Also, we have brought your housekeeping issues to our housekeeping department. We do pride ourselves on cleanliness, and want to make sure we do not overlook something like this again.
As far as the bathroom products, we do get a lot of people that love them, and some that do not. We are going to be changing our products soon, still keeping the Gilchrist & Soames name, but a new line that will not be as fragrant.
I hope you come back to see us again in the future, and we are happy you will become a new HYATT house guest.