“Great place to eat at the Charlotte airport” 3 of 5 bubbles

Cuisines: American, Bar, Caribbean, Pub, Cuban
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
North Carolina
“Great place to eat at the Charlotte airport”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2011

I always eat at the Rum Bar when I'm at the Charlotte airport. Its location in the D Concourse makes it very convenient if you're flying out of the E Concourse and since it is "off the beaten track", it is much quieter than the restaurants in the central airport concourse. I always get the steak salad but skip the bread and get the dressing on the side -- otherwise, it is swimming in dressing. The beef is really well-seasoned and and have never had an upset stomach from my meal (unlike other airport restaurants). It is pricey though -- about $18 without tip for salad and a Perrier.

• Visited July 2011
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Leesburg, Virginia
“Disappointing food and service for a repeat visitor, probably my last visit”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2011

I have visited Rum Bar & Grill at Charlotte-Douglas airport during multiple trips, both for breakfast and dinner. I have found it to be the closest I can get to Cuban food north of Florida, and especially in an airport. I've always enjoyed the huevos con chorizo (chorizo omelet) in the morning and the "Mexican flank steak" which could pass for the "Palomilla steak" you get at Cuban restaurants in Miami. I looked forward to eating here when flying back home from a business trip to Charlotte.

My visit on 3/11 changed my perspective. As usual, I ordered the flank steak and I was brought some kind of steak with sauteed onions, which are not normally part of this dish. The meat was tasteless and rubbery, with lots of inedible cartilage or fatty tissue, even disgusting to look at. The usual tasty marinade was completely gone. Even the toast didn't have butter on it as usual.

About a fourth of the way through, the waitress came with the customary "how's everything?" and I expressed my disappointment and asked if they had forgotten the marinade. She said "no, they usually marinade this with garlic and basil. Sorry about that". Then she walked away without offering any alternative choices (e.g. would I like to try another dish?".

Unfortunately, that did it for me. I don't think I will return. Maybe it's a good opportunity to try one of the BBQ joints at CLT airport on my future, frequent trips.

• Visited March 2011
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Been to Rum Bar & Grill? Share your experiences!