“Top of the Line”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Charleston, South Carolina
“Top of the Line”
Reviewed 15 June 2012

Just got back from Charlotte where we had a business meeting at Ballantyne Hotel... I have suggested this hotel for years vs. staying at the cookie cutter downtown hotels and we finally made it there... First the property is extremely easy to get to ( right off 485) and 18 miles from airport. Then the property itself is lovely...with all amenities without looking like a skyscraper and walking miles to everything! The staff is extremely friendly, helpful and well trained. The rooms were attractive with Starwood type beds and bedding... The room service food was fantastic (had steaks perfectly cooked). Beware of person who delivered food and when asked if tip was included said the "group tip" was in it but not individual tip... In actuality, there was a 20% tip included (only negative).. Meeting rooms were very nice, comfortable. The lunch and breakfast was not as terrific as the room service dinner. It is located close to adorable shopping center with great italian restaurant, pizza place and steak restaurant within walking distance.
Didnt have a chance to try to Spa and pool. Next time. Would be back in a heartbeat..

Room Tip: Try for a golf view. The other view will be parking lot.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
CharlotteTravel, Director of eCommerce at The Ballantyne, Charlotte, responded to this review, 18 June 2012
Dear stealtherp,

Thank you for staying with us at The Ballantyne Hotel & Lodge and for taking the time to share your positive review. We really appreciate that you had recommended our hotel for your business meeting, and we were delighted to read your positive comments regarding our location, hotel, staff, accommodations, cuisine and meeting rooms. We apologize for the inconvenience you experienced with in-room dining, as this is not indicative of our gratuity policy. We have followed up with you to rectify this situation. Again, thank you for your feedback, and we hope to welcome you back in the future!

Hotel Management

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (224)
Cape May Court House, New Jersey
Reviewed 12 June 2012

I travel up to 60 days a year on business/pleasure and having worked in hospitality for over 20 years, I usually know within two minutes of walking into a hotel if the joint is going to be decent.

Luckily, I get to stay in some decent properties for business from time to time, so I know a well run property when I see one.

The Ballantyne Hotel did not disappoint and is clearly a top notch property. Period.

I was in Charlotte for about 30 hours for a wedding and The Ballantyne Hotel was the host hotel where the reception was being held. My points and status are with Hilton, but SPG is always a second option so this property worked fine.

The property is just plain clean, modern and very nice. From the second you pull into the property, you just know you are in for a decent stay. Everything is fresh, modern and lots of upscale details that will satisfy just about everyone. I am not a Charlotte expert, but the property seems to be located in the “nice” part of town….

We had a room on the 7th floor overlooking the 18th hole (I think the golf course is part of the property, not sure). It was pretty cool watching golfers (mostly hackers) approach the green and looking down at the ball from our room as it traveled toward the green. Not a lot of good golfers in NC but one guy landed his shot about 4 feet from the pin from about 200 yards and it was cool to watch.

Anyway, our room was average size and full of “upscale” amenities such as a full mini bar and full bathroom supplies including a sewing kit and robe. There is a tile entryway and a “slow close” door hinge so you don’t hear room doors slamming shut all night long. Lots of attention to detail throughout this property and if you are a seasoned traveler with high hopes and standards, I am certain this property will satisfy.

While we paid a much discounted group rate or the Wedding, I would have had no problem shelling out $250 for a room for this level of service and upscale amenities offered. The hotel certainly had a “resort” feel.

The only downside is that the hotel is a good 20-30 minutes from CLT. I took the hotel’s sedan service back to the airport and it was $65 one way which included tip and tax. For Charlotte, I would consider this a little on the expensive side, but it was sedan service and fit the class of the hotel.

Charlotte has tons of hotel options in all price ranges. If you are willing to pay premium, and have high standards, this property will not disappoint. It was a great stay and I would certainly stay here again.

Room Tip: Get a room on the 7th floor overlooking the golf course.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
CharlotteTravel, Director of eCommerce at The Ballantyne, Charlotte, responded to this review, 14 June 2012
Dear GeorgeRohman,

Thank you for staying at The Ballantyne Hotel & Lodge and for taking the time to share your feedback. We really value your kind comments, and we are pleased that you had an enjoyable visit. Thank you for your compliments regarding the arrival experience, our property and guest room. At The Ballantyne, our goal is to provide all guests with a truly unique and exceptional stay experience. Thank you for recommending our hotel, and we hope to welcome you back in the future.

Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 11 June 2012

Where do we begin?! Choosing the Ballantyne Hotel as our venue for our big day was by far the best decision we made! From day one, where we met with the Director of Sales to take a grand tour of the property to the day of the event where each member of the staff went above and beyond all expectations to ensure everything went perfect, our experience with the Ballantyne Hotel was truly 5 star! Our events manager, Alli Hall, was fabulous to say the least. She was very attentive to the small details and really listened to our needs. Our vendors have mentioned many times how easy and enjoyable it was working with her and her team. In addition, she had a lot of great ideas and extensive experience managing big events. BTW, it's probably important to note that she pulled off a 500-count guestlist wedding without a hitch. Our guests constantly remind us of the extraordinary service provided not only by the event's staff but also by the friendly hospitality staff during their stay.

Regarding the property, it is truly a 5 star experience. We stayed at the Ritz Carlton, the Peninsula and the Conrad during our honeymoon and the Ballantyne Hotel is just as nice if not nicer than each of those properties! A wonderful surprise the day of the wedding was finding out that we had been given an upgrade to the Presidential Suite which was luxury at it's finest!

Choosing the Ballantyne Hotel as your venue for your wedding day will also be the best decision you will make. From that day on, the staff will help you make your dream wedding come true!!!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
CharlotteTravel, Director of eCommerce at The Ballantyne, Charlotte, responded to this review, 13 June 2012
Dear ShashiAndHeeral,

Thank you for choosing to spend your special day at The Ballantyne Hotel & Lodge and for taking the time to share your positive feedback. We really appreciate your compliments regarding every aspect of the planning process, and we’re so delighted that you and your guests had a 5-Star experience. At The Ballantyne, we really do strive to make the entire wedding process effortless, enjoyable and memorable. Thank you for recommending us as a wedding venue. We hope to welcome you back soon – maybe to celebrate an anniversary?

Reviewed 6 June 2012

I was at the hotel the weekend of 5/19 and had a very hot/cold experience. The room was very nice, as was the lobby, pool area, etc., but the service provided throughout the stay was poor.

I was there with some friends for a girls weekend. A couple of us had brought wine glasses, a bottle of wine, some cheese and crackers, and a small plate and knife to serve them with. We enjoyed that on our first night as we got dressed for the evening, and then placed all of the used glasses, the plate, and knife on the table. The next morning, the cleaning crew took all of our items! They were clearly NOT anything that looked like the hotel's property. We repeatedly called the front desk, as well as the housekeeping line and were told that they were 'looking into it'. When we checked out, we were given back the plate and knife, but we were told that they were still locating the (very expensive) wine glasses. They took our names and addresses and promised to mail them as soon as they were found. 3 weeks later- no glasses, no phone call, no anything! We have called and left messges to no avail.

As for the service at the restaurants, I can only say it was terrible. We waited almost an hour at the table the first day for our breakfast to arrive, only for them to have forgotten to put in one of our orders. We also had to constantly ask the waiter for coffee and water refills. The pool area was no better. Same thin happened, an order got left out. The four of us never could enjoy a meal all at the same time!

We sat down at the lobby bar on Saturday evening at 10:45 and were told that it was last call (????) and needed to quickly order. 2 of us picked a random wine and the other two were told by the bartender that she would be back once they had been able to browse the wine list. Instead of coming back, she served everyone else around us, including the people on the patio. When my friends tried to place an order, she scolded them for asking her to serve them after last call!

The spa treatments were overpriced for what was given. I paid $130 for a 'customized' massage. My therapist told me her name and told me to disrobe to my comfort level, but never asked me one single question- how 'customized' is that? I had to catch her before she walked out in order to attempt to tell her my needs. She obviously didn't listen, as I had one of the worst massages of my life. My 5 year old daughter could have applied more pressure!

All in all, a very disappointing experience. We won't be back. I do wonder if I will ever reclaim my wine glasses, or at least be compensated for them...

• Stayed May 2012
6 Thank Kfv6
CharlotteTravel, Director of eCommerce at The Ballantyne, Charlotte, responded to this review, 8 June 2012
Dear Kfv6,

Thank you for staying at The Ballantyne Hotel & Lodge and for taking the time to share your feedback. We appreciate your nice comments regarding our accommodations and facilities. We apologize for the inconveniences you experienced during your stay and take your feedback very seriously. Our staff’s mission is to provide exceptional service, and we are sorry that we fell short of the high service standards that we strive to maintain. Our associate has connected with you, and we are compensating you for the wine glasses. Again, our apologies for the inconveniences you experienced. We have shared your comments with our hotel management to ensure incidents like these do not happen in the future. We hope you will reconsider visiting the hotel again, and we will reach out to you to discuss this.

Ponte Vedra Beach, FL
Reviewed 2 June 2012

Spent 3 nights at The Ballantyne. I am so happy I did. It is a gem. My reservationist was so helpful in helping me pick out the type of room. When you arrive you are treated with the utmost respect from the valet, bell staff and front desk. When you get to your room they have a robe and slippers waiting for you. I immediately got settled in and took a long bath in the extremely clean tub and slipped into the comfy robe and slippers. Room service is 24 hours. Had a wonderful salad and green tea. Ordered an egg white omlette for breakfast next day. Went to Starbucks across the street for my daily Green Tea latte, then came back and took a walk around the property. Went to Posh nails across the street and had a great Nu pedicure, then came back to hotel and spent the afternoon having a facial and body treatment. The triple oxygen facial was amazing. I would not spend the money on the body treatment again. I would get a massage next time. I enjoyed the steam room, sauna before my treatments. Visited the pool area the next day. Went with my friend who played golf and the course is beautiful. Greens are pretty fast. The whole weekend was amazingly relaxing for me. Had dinner at the restaurant 2 evenings and it was wonderful. The bone-in ribeye had great flavor. The filet was so tender and lean. I will definately be back.

Room Tip: I would ask for a high floor with golf course view.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
CharlotteTravel, Director of eCommerce at The Ballantyne, Charlotte, responded to this review, 4 June 2012
Dear flamingoluvr,

Thank you for staying with us at The Ballantyne Hotel & Lodge and for taking the time to share your feedback. We were so pleased to read your positive comments regarding the arrival experience, accommodations, in-room dining, spa treatments, golf course and dining at Gallery Restaurant. At The Ballantyne Hotel & Lodge, we strive to provide a truly exceptional stay experience, and we are so glad you enjoyed your visit with us. We hope to welcome you back soon!

Winnipeg, MB
Reviewed 2 June 2012

Stayed here one night - had a meeting the next morning at the property. Room was lovely - spacious and luxurious bathroom (poor lighting however). Limited facilities at hotel - you have to buy coffee or tea at the bar. But as is mostly the case in the south, staff were friendly and helpful. However the concierge was a but snooty - but I just asked other staff for what I needed. Dinner at the Galaxy was good - almost empty on a Friday evening - and the service polished and eager to please. The popovers are amazing..... This is a Starwood Luxury property so was able to collect points. Bit out of the way - you would need a car to go anywhere - but lovely nonetheless

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Travellingnurse50
Dear Travellingnurse50,
Thank you for staying with us at The Ballantyne Hotel & Lodge and for sharing your experience. We appreciate your kind words regarding our accommodations, staff and dining at Gallery Restaurant. We take feedback very seriously and have shared all of your comments with our hotel management. We look forward to providing complimentary coffee in the morning to guests later this year. We are so happy that you had an enjoyable stay, and we hope to welcome you back in the future.

Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 28 May 2012

I have attended a conference at this hotel for 3 years now. Stayed here twice (Last year stayed at the nearby Staybridge Suites since the Ballantyne does not allow dogs). It is expensive, but the service and quality are equal to the price.

One issue, however. Upon waking I realized there was no coffee maker. This is a growing trend, but not a big problem, since EVERYONE provides complimentary coffee in the lobby. I was surprised that the coffee service at the lobby bar was not self service, but hey, this is an upscale place. After pouring my coffee she asked, "Would you like to charge this to your room? What? $2.50 a cup, please gratuity, of course.

I felt ripped-off until I returned to my room and saw the notice regarding coffee room service. $6.50 for a 3-cup pot. Plus $2.50 delivery charge. Plus tax and gratuity. Probably would add up to $10. So I guess $2.50 plus a bit of exercise was worth it.

Seriously, the Ballantyne is too nice of a place to nickel-and-dime their customers in this way.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
CharlotteTravel, Director of eCommerce at The Ballantyne, Charlotte, responded to this review, 31 May 2012
Dear CaptiveGuru,

Thank you for staying with us again at The Ballantyne Hotel & Lodge and for sharing your experience. Thank you for your kind words regarding our service and quality. We appreciate your feedback regarding our coffee service. This is not the first time we have received this feedback, and we want you to know it is being addressed. We will begin offering complimentary coffee in the morning in the lobby later this year. At The Ballantyne Hotel & Lodge, we strive to provide a truly exceptional experience and take all guest feedback very seriously. We hope to welcome you back in the future.