“Best Hotel”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Santa Barbara
“Best Hotel”
Reviewed 22 August 2012

We had a wonderful experience in every way at this beautifully appointed property. It is absolutely luxurious. We stayed in a Junior Suite and it was the nicest we've ever stayed in. The completely separate living room was great for my husband who likes to watch TV or read when he can't sleep. The bathroom was first-rate and the decor was to my taste. Great view of the golf course.
I would highly recommend this hotel to everyone.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
CharlotteTravel, Director of eCommerce at The Ballantyne, Charlotte, responded to this review, 22 August 2012
Dear CBESantaBarbara,
Thank you for staying at The Ballantyne Hotel & Lodge and for taking the time to share your positive feedback. We really value your kind words regarding our hotel, accommodations and décor. Our team is committed to providing our guests with an exceptional stay experience. Thank you for recommending our hotel, and we hope to welcome you back in the future.

Hotel Management

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (224)
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 19 August 2012

Recently had a girls weekend at the resort and it was perfect! The pool and bar area were great, and service was good. Our room was so clean and decorated beautiful. We were not too far from home, but felt like a world away. All of the staff was friendly and accommodating. I look forward to going back soon!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
Dear bebmay,
Thank you for choosing to spend your girls’ weekend at The Ballantyne Hotel & Lodge and for sharing your experience. We are delighted that you enjoyed our accommodations, pool, bar and service and appreciate your great comments. At The Ballantyne Hotel & Lodge, we strive to provide all of our guests with an effortless, enjoyable escape. We look forward to welcoming you back!

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 17 August 2012

This is the first of 3 hotel reviews for biz travel in the last week. As I considered what to write about The Ballantyne, I wondered how the industry and individuals define "luxury."

It appears the hotel industry doesn't really have a definition and in this link - http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/luxury - it appears that numbers 1 and 4 may apply.

The staff is very nice and helpful. In particular, Ryan Dennis was terrific - intuitive, smart, helpful, caring and with a marvelous sense of humor. Overall, everyone was nice and competent in their jobs.

The rooms are nice but not terribly soundproof. Mine was in the middle of two that connected and I could hear the children next door.

The rooms are also very damp. I asked a colleague also staying there who confirmed that her room was as well. (I was in The Hotel, she in the Lodge. They are not connected.) The carpet felt damp and the room felt sticky. I got a fan from housekeeping and it helped cool the room but the dampness remained. Odd because the hotel is not near or on water.

The quality of the lamps in the room felt cheap - like tin. Not what I expect from a hotel marketed as luxury.

The desk was ok; the room was dark. It needs either more (and nicer) lamps or brighter energy-saving bulbs. There are a few electrical outlets on the desk but not enough. The bedside lamps do not have outlets, an "amenity" that I've come to count on.

There is no gift/sundry shop tho' the in-room directory says there is. Without a car, there is no way by which to leave the property to get bottled water, newspapers (altho' the front desk has some but you have to know to ask), snacks, etc.

If you are there to attend a meeting and the meeting is in the Lodge, you may want to stay in that building ... except there is NO food service (not room service, nothing) there. It is lightly staffed and I would be curious to know their security since it appears anyone can walk in and not be noticed.

There is only 1 food outlet open during the day. Perhaps it's assumed that everyone is there for vacation and has a car or for a meeting at which meals are all provided. Disappointing not to have a "coffee bar".

The food was very good - and the tomatoes on the items I ate tasted fresh off the farm. (The land used to be all farm land. Unsure if the Hotel/Lodge is growing fresh produce.)

Would I go back or recommend it for leisure or a meeting? Probably not. While the good and kind service is what I look for, the physical package is not up to the branding.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank JLEDC
CharlotteTravel, Director of eCommerce at The Ballantyne, Charlotte, responded to this review, 24 August 2012
Dear JLEDC,
Thank you for staying at The Ballantyne Hotel & Lodge and for taking the time to share your feedback. We appreciate your positive comments regarding our staff and cuisine, as well as your feedback regarding our accommodations. We take all comments very seriously, and we have shared your feedback with our management team. At The Ballantyne Hotel & Lodge, we strive to maintain high standards in quality and service. We apologize that we fell short of your expectations. Again, thank you for your feedback, which will help us in our ongoing efforts to improve our guest experience.

Greer, South Carolina
Reviewed 16 August 2012

I had the chance to stay her last week for a conference and loved the hotel! Service was top notch and the rooms are very spacious and accomodating. Very nice little touches in the bathroom and with the turndown service.

Since we only live 2 hours from this great hotel, I'm definitely going to bring my wife up for a Perfect weekend getaway. They have a wonderful golf course for me and a beautiful spa within the hotel.

As for restuarants, the hotel outlets are nice but there are numerous options within walking distance.

Great hotel, I will be back!

Room Tip: Rooms facing the golf course have great views.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
CharlotteTravel, Director of eCommerce at The Ballantyne, Charlotte, responded to this review, 17 August 2012
Dear Patrick H,
Thank you for staying at The Ballantyne Hotel & Lodge and for sharing your positive experience. We are pleased that you enjoyed our service, accommodations and amenities. Our team is dedicated to providing a memorable and exceptional stay experience for all of our guests. We look forward to welcoming you back with your wife for a weekend escape!

Grayson, Georgia
Reviewed 15 August 2012

I wanted to stay at the Ballantyne, but had my doubts. Although most of the reviews were excellent, there were still some that made you think twice. Since I wanted this vacation to be awesome and since I was going to book two rooms instead of one, it was going to be a bit pricey, and I wanted to be darned sure I wasn't going to be disappointed.

But I realize that people rate hotels based on their personal life experiences. Life experiences shape our opinions and expectations. What might be good for one person is a disaster for another. That said, I've stayed at some of the most expensive accommodations and I have reasonable (at least I think so (LOL) expectations. I am a moderate "germaphobe" by nature, and go nuts if a bathroom is not spotless. So, based on this information, below is what I experienced at the Ballantyne Hotel. I traveled with my husband and 14 year old daughter.

The Good - My experience was excellent. The staff, hotel, and rooms were very pleasant. The bathroom was wicked clean, and the beds were amazing - it feels as if a cloud engulfed you once you get in. They also add nice touches such as robes, evening chocolates and bottled water and ice.

It was our anniversary, so when we arrived, they gave my husband and me a red rose along with a very nice card of congratulations. Everyone seemed very eager to assist us and they made us feel very special. I read suggestions on this site that we should book on the 2nd floor, and I was glad we did because there is a wrap around lounge on this floor where you can just sit and read the paper or a book and have some quiet time. One of the guests had a wedding event the second day, and I thought it would interfere or be too loud, but that was not the case. Oh yeah, the towels were very luxuriant and smelled amazing, too.

The hotel is in close proximity to nice restaurants and other shops, which my daugher loved. We were able to drive 2 minutes away and grab delicious pizza and return without much travel. If you don't want to eat at the hotel restaurant, The Gallery, then being able to find a Starbucks, Dunkin Donuts and other familiar joints so close, is a definite plus.

The Bad - There isn't much to write about in this category. The only grip we had was that they have a snack cabinet with overpriced goodies and if you moved something, it automatically billed you. Why have such a cabinet if your guests can't enjoy themselves without worrying about whether or not they're billed in error. Either inplement the "honor" system, or just get rid of the snack cabinet altogether. It was a little insulting, in my opinion.

The Ugly - The exterior of the hotel could use a fresh coat of paint. The appearance isn't bad, it just needs to be freshened up so that the real thing reflects the picture on their website. Other than that, I felt the decor and all areas of the hotel were nice.

I had a spa treatment and really enjoyed it. The spa was very well appointed and I really felt like a new woman once it was all done. The staff at the spa could have been a bit more friendly. They seemed very 'stuffy" and detached.

So, all in all, I had a wonderful trip at the Ballantyne and I would come back again. It was really very nice. Hope this helps someone who is planning a trip to Charlotte.

Room Tip: Reserve a room on 2nd floor, golf course view.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Bev N
CharlotteTravel, Director of eCommerce at The Ballantyne, Charlotte, responded to this review, 16 August 2012
Dear Bev N,
Thank you for choosing The Ballantyne Hotel & Lodge for your recent vacation and for taking the time to share your experience. We appreciate your compliments regarding our staff, hotel, accommodations and amenities. Additionally, we really value your feedback regarding our refreshment center, exterior and spa experience. We take all feedback very seriously, and we have shared your comments with our management team. At The Ballantyne Hotel & Lodge, we are dedicated to providing the best experiences for our guests and we are driven by continuous improvement. Again, thank you for your feedback, which will help us in our daily efforts to enhance our offerings. We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay and hope to welcome you back soon.

Newtown, CT
Reviewed 12 August 2012

We loved out room and the hotel's layout in general. However, don't eat in the restaurant! Inferior food, slow service, and unappealing menu. The staff is cordial and accommodating and very quick to respond to emails. Since our 20th Anniversary Dinner was ruined in the restaurant, the general manager offered us a complimentary stay in the future. Now, that's accommodating!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
CharlotteTravel, Director of eCommerce at The Ballantyne, Charlotte, responded to this review, 13 August 2012
Dear Grammarian1966,
Thank you for choosing to celebrate your 20th Anniversary at The Ballantyne Hotel & Lodge and for taking the time to share your feedback. We are pleased that you enjoyed our accommodations and overall layout and value your comments regarding our restaurant. We apologize that our restaurant fell short of your expectations. At Gallery Restaurant, we strive to provide a flavorful and memorable dining experience. We take all feedback very seriously and have shared your feedback with our management team. We were happy to see that you have connected with our general manager. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 10 August 2012

This hotel is real class. I held my wedding there a few weeks ago and from my first day visiting until now, I have been treated with nothing but respect and kindness. The staff is one of the most professional I have ever experienced. True southern hospitality! They will treat you like family no matter what walk of life you are from.

When you enter the hotel you are officially "away". You can trust this staff with your most precious moments. They will take care of you. The hotel is gorgeous and constantly being updated. My guests have not stopped raving about how well taken care of they were and how the staff couldn't do enough to help while they were there. They made the planning process easy for my wedding and took first class care of me and my family.

We also rented the cottage that lies across the golf course from the main hotel. This home is gorgeous and was perfect for our after reception party. It was also a great place for my bridal party to get ready and relax before, during, and after the wedding.

I highly recommend this hotel whether it is for a night away or a large event like a wedding. They will make it a memorable stay either way!

Room Tip: The rooms at the "lodge" are larger and very beautiful if you can get a room there. It is...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Dear msoculato,
Thank you for hosting your wedding at The Ballantyne Hotel & Lodge and for taking the time to share your positive experience. We were delighted to read your kind words regarding the entire wedding process – from planning to the big day. Thank you for your compliments regarding our staff, hotel and cottage. At The Ballantyne Hotel & Lodge, we are dedicated to providing a memorable and special experience for all of our guests. Thank you for recommending our hotel, and best wishes to you and your husband. We hope to welcome you back soon!