I stayed two nights at the Ballantyne, which is a luxury edition of the Starwood Line. I don't really know Charlotte and cannot comment on its best areas. I was there two nights for business. I was a bit disappointed in the hotel as we drove up. It looked like a chain hotel on a business road across from a mall, which office parks surrounding the hotel. Upon entering the lobby, I found it was tastefully and elegantly furnished. I was quickly processed by reservations and offered a cold towel. There was fruit ice water in the lobby and apples available. Even though I am a Gold member, I was not upgraded. I was told that I would be facing the golf course, but I found myself on the 2nd floor near conference rooms. I was a bit disappointed as the hall was full of convention folks and it was somewhat noisy. I was non plussed when I entered the room. It was tastefully furnished and had a very nice bathroom, however, it was an average size. There were no free goodies which I normally receive as an elite member at Kimpton or Intercontinental. However, the bed was very comfortable and the room was comfortably furnished. Internet was NOT free and cost 9.95 per day. There were no notes left informing me that if I forgot anything, to call down. There were two robes...no slippers...the bathroom was furnished with a hairdryer, scale and extremely nice soap, shampoos/conditioners, bath salts and bath scrubs. I think they were about as nice as I have had. The bath scrub smelled lovely and was wonderful. Also provided were: Mouthwash, a sewing kit, very thick cotton for taking makeup off, shower, cap, an emory board. I would give the bathroom a top review. I was also pleased with the service levels of the front desk. I came down ill and they went out and got me cold medication. They printed and delivered my boarding pass pleasantly and quickly. There was turndown service and the woman was delightful.
There was a large and beautiful golf course, excellent 4 star restaurant and spa on premises. I only used the restaurant, which I would give a 4 out of 5. The food was excellent...definitely high end gourmet...but service was pleasant but spotty and slow. Another nice touch was outside the front door...there was water, fruit (bananas), a jogging map and towels for joggers. Newspapers were available (Wall Street Journal) and left on the door (USA today).
So, why didn't they get a 5? The room was not cleaned well during the day (but the woman corrected it during turn down). Towels and bathrobe and the turndown service cards were left on the floor, the door didn't close properly and you could easily hear folks in the hall, the mini bar was out of service, lights were out of service and the hair dryer was broken. I mentioned this and they were quickly repaired. There was a note left on the mini bar to call for water and the fellow wanted to charge me $10 for water. He called back quickly to inform me he made a mistake and it was on the house. A nice touch, but he wasn't well trained.
I will return again. It was very nice for business. I will, however, request a room on a higher floor, away from convention rooms. With a few tweaks, it could be a 5.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Ballantyne, a Luxury Collection Hotel by Marriott, Charlotte welcomes guests with gracious service, elegant accommodations and abundant amenities. Explore the spa, seasonal outdoor pool, indoor pool, whirlpool, sauna, tennis, golf, fitness, exquisite dining, 24 hour room service, afternoon tea and leisure offerings. The Ballantyne features beautiful hotel rooms, a lovely cottage and The Lodge at Ballantyne, a 35 room group retreat. Meeting and event planners are invited to view meeting and event facilities with spacious and picturesque outdoor venues, on-site group activities and creative culinary offerings. The Ballantyne is located within nine miles of SouthPark and Carowinds and within 18 miles of Uptown Charlotte and Charlotte Douglas International Airport. In addition to its great accessibility to Charlotte’s impressive recreational and entertainment offerings, the hotel is set amidst shopping, dining, retail and the thriving Ballantyne community. Guests enjoy a complimentary shuttle within one mile and access to many dining and conveniences within walking distance and even more within a short drive. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Priceline, Hotels.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your The Ballantyne, Charlotte reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Ballantyne Hotel Charlotte
- Ballantyne Hotel Charlotte
- Ballantine Resort Charlotte