“Very nice, but not quite a 5...but they try”

The Ballantyne, Charlotte
Ranked #7 of 178 Hotels in Charlotte
GreenLeadersSilver level
Oro Valley, Arizona
“Very nice, but not quite a 5...but they try”
Reviewed 30 June 2010

I stayed two nights at the Ballantyne, which is a luxury edition of the Starwood Line. I don't really know Charlotte and cannot comment on its best areas. I was there two nights for business. I was a bit disappointed in the hotel as we drove up. It looked like a chain hotel on a business road across from a mall, which office parks surrounding the hotel. Upon entering the lobby, I found it was tastefully and elegantly furnished. I was quickly processed by reservations and offered a cold towel. There was fruit ice water in the lobby and apples available. Even though I am a Gold member, I was not upgraded. I was told that I would be facing the golf course, but I found myself on the 2nd floor near conference rooms. I was a bit disappointed as the hall was full of convention folks and it was somewhat noisy. I was non plussed when I entered the room. It was tastefully furnished and had a very nice bathroom, however, it was an average size. There were no free goodies which I normally receive as an elite member at Kimpton or Intercontinental. However, the bed was very comfortable and the room was comfortably furnished. Internet was NOT free and cost 9.95 per day. There were no notes left informing me that if I forgot anything, to call down. There were two robes...no slippers...the bathroom was furnished with a hairdryer, scale and extremely nice soap, shampoos/conditioners, bath salts and bath scrubs. I think they were about as nice as I have had. The bath scrub smelled lovely and was wonderful. Also provided were: Mouthwash, a sewing kit, very thick cotton for taking makeup off, shower, cap, an emory board. I would give the bathroom a top review. I was also pleased with the service levels of the front desk. I came down ill and they went out and got me cold medication. They printed and delivered my boarding pass pleasantly and quickly. There was turndown service and the woman was delightful.

There was a large and beautiful golf course, excellent 4 star restaurant and spa on premises. I only used the restaurant, which I would give a 4 out of 5. The food was excellent...definitely high end gourmet...but service was pleasant but spotty and slow. Another nice touch was outside the front door...there was water, fruit (bananas), a jogging map and towels for joggers. Newspapers were available (Wall Street Journal) and left on the door (USA today).

So, why didn't they get a 5? The room was not cleaned well during the day (but the woman corrected it during turn down). Towels and bathrobe and the turndown service cards were left on the floor, the door didn't close properly and you could easily hear folks in the hall, the mini bar was out of service, lights were out of service and the hair dryer was broken. I mentioned this and they were quickly repaired. There was a note left on the mini bar to call for water and the fellow wanted to charge me $10 for water. He called back quickly to inform me he made a mistake and it was on the house. A nice touch, but he wasn't well trained.

I will return again. It was very nice for business. I will, however, request a room on a higher floor, away from convention rooms. With a few tweaks, it could be a 5.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
CharlotteTravel, Guest Relations Manager at The Ballantyne, Charlotte, responded to this review, 8 July 2010
Dear Berniss,
Thank you for your insightful and detailed information about The Ballantyne Hotel. We are glad to hear that you had an enjoyable stay but also understand that we missed some very important details that prevented your stay from being a five. I have shared your feedback with the respective departments and am sorry for the items we missed. We do hope that you will return for your next business trip. Please contact me to discuss your stay further and allow me to assist you with your hotel reservation.
Adriaan Radder, General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (223)
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 17 June 2010

I stayed with my teenage boys at the resort for only one night and I wish I could have stayed for a whole week! From the service at the front (valet, check-in, bell-hop) to the pool attendants and the maid in the hall, I found everyone to be friendly and informative. Five star service all the way! The pools (inside and out) were clean and refreshing and I loved the touch of bringing you ice water as soon as you sit down. We ate at the Gallery Restaurant for dinner and it was fabulous. Breakfast in our room was great too. We do not play golf but the course looked inviting. We enjoyed our stay immensely and be back again soon, I hope.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank ncmom51
phoenix
Reviewed 3 June 2010

We didn't leave the property for four days! The golf was terrific, the food was fresh and well-prepared, the bar was cozy. We spent a day in the spa, an afternoon around the pool and countless hours on the veranda watching golfers come up the 18th. The service was great. We had a wonderful relaxing weekend and can't wait to go back.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
North Carolina
Reviewed 28 May 2010

If you're planning a group retreat, or small business conference, the lodge is the perfect place for you! It has only 36 rooms and is only booked for groups. The staff is super friendly and the friendly that is welcomed, not fake! They made our groups' stay easy and pleasant. The rooms are comfortable with great bedding, bose radios, huge writing table, jet tubs and nice bathrooms-all in great condition.

The only thing is, you have to visit the main hotel for access to the pool and gym, other than that this is a great place to stay while in South Charlotte.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled on business
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 24 May 2010

My husband and I travel to Charlotte for an annual company get together each year. We stayed at the Ballantyne two years ago and had a lovely stay, but this time was altogether different. We had a king room with a balcony that overlooked the golf course. The room was very worn. The finish was chipping off all of the wood furniture. There was trash (pieces of plastic, etc.) underneath the furniture that was never removed by the cleaning staff, and they failed to replace the toiletries in the bathroom. We ordered room service for breakfast, and it took over an hour to receive toast, coffee, and fruit. When the woman arrived to deliver it, she was complaining about how busy they were. I noticed that the coffee I ordered wasn't there, so she asked if I would mind if she retrieved two cups of coffee from the bar instead of walking all the way back down to room service. I said that was fine (at that point I was ready to move on with my day instead of waiting another hour for coffee), but there was no offer to remove the pot of coffee from my bill. Also, please note that they do not provide coffee service in the room. You must order a $12 pot from room service. Ridiculously expensive. The bed creaked whenever you turned over, and I'm not even sure how to describe the pillows, except that they were child-size, flat, and extremely uncomfortable. When I checked out, the woman at the desk asked how our stay was. I politely replied that it wasn't that great and recounted the reasons why. She was clearly untrained for a negative response and only offered "I hope you'll stay with us again." When I replied that I probably wouldn't for the reasons I had mentioned, she just smiled and said "I'm sorry to hear that." At the very least, an apology would have been nice. At the most, I would have expected the $50 room service charge to have been removed from my bill. Neither happened. I've stayed at many of the best hotels, and this one definitely doesn't rank as a 4 star property. Poor customer service and inadequate rooms. Save your money and stay elsewhere.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled on business
CharlotteTravel, Guest Relations Manager at The Ballantyne, Charlotte, responded to this review, 28 May 2010
Dear Mkeller2,
We are truly sorry that you had a disappointing experience with us and apologize for the issues you encountered with our product and service. We take our guest feedback very seriously and are already taking actions to improve upon the items you mentioned in your review. The Ballantyne Hotel & Lodge is committed to providing excellent service and a high quality hotel and this is certainly not indicative of the levels we strive to achieve. I would welcome the opportunity to discuss your experience further and to extend a gesture of good will in hopes that you will visit us again in the future.
Charlotte, NC
Reviewed 13 April 2010

I recently was married at The Ballantyne Hotel & Lodge and must tell everyone that we could not have asked for better service. Everything exceeded my wedding expectations. The staff was wonderful and so accommodating. I will say that there were some credit card mix up's but they were fixed immediately. The Event staff, namely Erin Hunter and Sarah Slovensky, are fantastic to work with. Erin did a wonderful job getting everything ready for the big event and Sarah executed it seamlessly. When a centerpiece broke, out came the glue. The staff truly is not staff, but professionals at work. The food was fantastic, the ambiance perfect, and the service flawless.

The rooms were SO comfortable. Don't touch the priced food though unless you want to pay for it; it's on a counter weight. It would be nice to have a fridge guests could put their own stuff in, as we brought in beer and bought a sandwich in the spa but couldn't keep them cold even though there was a fridge. Maybe one level of the mini fridge (that is stuffed with stuff you can buy) can be designated for items brought by the guests? The soaps, shampoos, etc., were all top notch. Very clean and very quiet. Love the Gallery Restaurant. Great food and fun times. Brunch is a must try.

Lastly, the Spa was a real treat. These women are artists and could make a hedge hog look like a movie star. Big shout out to Kelly the lady that transformed me with makeup and Shelly who worked magic with my hair. Thank you both so very much! The food was wonderful as well.

Thanks Erin and Sarah!!! We had a blast!!

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
New York, NY
Reviewed 7 April 2010

I visited the Ballantyne in late October with my girlfriend to attend one of her friend's weddings. The hotel was diffacult to find at first as it is a 20min drive outside of Charlotte proper, and there were no signs off the highway pointing in the hotel's direction. It is actually a large hotel and golf complex with several buildings. We had a King Standard room overlooking the golf course and it rivled many of the 4-star properties I have stayed at on business both in the US and overseas. Everything was luxurous, well appointed, classy, clean and in great condition. The room was large and the common areas were beautiful. I remember walking in to the hotel lobby and seeing massive amounts of fresh flowers and that beautifully fragrent smell. The staff was very helpful and attentive, the banquet facilities were superior, the lobby bar staff were bright and engaging, and the pool/spa area was huge. The hotel has a massive indoor pool/hot tub area with a full-service spa. We relaxed in the hot tub at about 11:30pm after the wedding and it was great that it wasn't closed. If you're in the Charlotte area for business or pleasure and you don't need to be downtown, visit this property. It would also make a great place for an intimate romantic weekend.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple