The Ballantyne, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Charlotte
  • Pool
US$198
US$186
US$103
Hyatt Place Charlotte/Arrowood(Charlotte)(Great Value!)
US$110
US$262
Westin.com
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
All reviewsgallery restaurantgolf course viewbeautiful hotelseparate showersoaking tuboutdoor pooldaughter's weddingroom servicelobby barbusiness meetingthe entire staffsouthern hospitalityparking lotspalodgeconciergeslippers
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 10 August 2010

Very clean, Very nice rooms and bathrooms. If you are looking for a gret place to stay outside up uptown Charlotte, this is it.

My wife also loved the spa...

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JLCJ7
CharlotteTravel, General Manager at The Ballantyne, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Charlotte, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2010

Dear JLCJ7,
We were delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us at The Ballantyne Hotel & Lodge. It was nice to hear that the rooms exceeded your expectations and your wife loved The Spa. Our team is committed to providing exceptional service and fine amenities. Thank you so much for staying with us and we hope to see you in the near future.

Hotel Management

Reviewed 29 July 2010

They hosted a "Yellow Ribbon" event weekend for the air force reserve. They did a great job for a very reasonable rate. Conference room and breakfast/snacks/lunch all excellent. First room I was given smelled like smoke. They moved me very quickly. Probably the nicest hotel I have ever stayed at. All the staff was great, esp. Jason and Juan Carlos. My only complaint was concerierge. They could not give me directions to mall. (Jason gave them to me.) Room was comfortable and plush. Sound did travel easily through door. I could hear conversations in hallway.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 24 July 2010

The service at this hotel is abolutely amazing. My company rented the entire lodge for a weekend retreat. From the moment we stepped into the hotel, the staff was anticipating and meeting our every need, before we had to ask. The rooms are very large and well appointed. The nightly turn down service includes placing a robe on the bed, a chocolate on the pillow, and classical music playing on the Bose wave radio. I enjoyed the music so much, every night I fell asleep to it using the radio's timer feature. The lodge provided all but one meal and the food was terrific. I hope we stay here again next year.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 30 June 2010

I stayed two nights at the Ballantyne, which is a luxury edition of the Starwood Line. I don't really know Charlotte and cannot comment on its best areas. I was there two nights for business. I was a bit disappointed in the hotel as we drove up. It looked like a chain hotel on a business road across from a mall, which office parks surrounding the hotel. Upon entering the lobby, I found it was tastefully and elegantly furnished. I was quickly processed by reservations and offered a cold towel. There was fruit ice water in the lobby and apples available. Even though I am a Gold member, I was not upgraded. I was told that I would be facing the golf course, but I found myself on the 2nd floor near conference rooms. I was a bit disappointed as the hall was full of convention folks and it was somewhat noisy. I was non plussed when I entered the room. It was tastefully furnished and had a very nice bathroom, however, it was an average size. There were no free goodies which I normally receive as an elite member at Kimpton or Intercontinental. However, the bed was very comfortable and the room was comfortably furnished. Internet was NOT free and cost 9.95 per day. There were no notes left informing me that if I forgot anything, to call down. There were two robes...no slippers...the bathroom was furnished with a hairdryer, scale and extremely nice soap, shampoos/conditioners, bath salts and bath scrubs. I think they were about as nice as I have had. The bath scrub smelled lovely and was wonderful. Also provided were: Mouthwash, a sewing kit, very thick cotton for taking makeup off, shower, cap, an emory board. I would give the bathroom a top review. I was also pleased with the service levels of the front desk. I came down ill and they went out and got me cold medication. They printed and delivered my boarding pass pleasantly and quickly. There was turndown service and the woman was delightful.

There was a large and beautiful golf course, excellent 4 star restaurant and spa on premises. I only used the restaurant, which I would give a 4 out of 5. The food was excellent...definitely high end gourmet...but service was pleasant but spotty and slow. Another nice touch was outside the front door...there was water, fruit (bananas), a jogging map and towels for joggers. Newspapers were available (Wall Street Journal) and left on the door (USA today).

So, why didn't they get a 5? The room was not cleaned well during the day (but the woman corrected it during turn down). Towels and bathrobe and the turndown service cards were left on the floor, the door didn't close properly and you could easily hear folks in the hall, the mini bar was out of service, lights were out of service and the hair dryer was broken. I mentioned this and they were quickly repaired. There was a note left on the mini bar to call for water and the fellow wanted to charge me $10 for water. He called back quickly to inform me he made a mistake and it was on the house. A nice touch, but he wasn't well trained.

I will return again. It was very nice for business. I will, however, request a room on a higher floor, away from convention rooms. With a few tweaks, it could be a 5.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled on business
CharlotteTravel, Guest Relations Manager at The Ballantyne, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Charlotte, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2010

Dear Berniss,
Thank you for your insightful and detailed information about The Ballantyne Hotel. We are glad to hear that you had an enjoyable stay but also understand that we missed some very important details that prevented your stay from being a five. I have shared your feedback with the respective departments and am sorry for the items we missed. We do hope that you will return for your next business trip. Please contact me to discuss your stay further and allow me to assist you with your hotel reservation.
Adriaan Radder, General Manager

Reviewed 17 June 2010

I stayed with my teenage boys at the resort for only one night and I wish I could have stayed for a whole week! From the service at the front (valet, check-in, bell-hop) to the pool attendants and the maid in the hall, I found everyone to be friendly and informative. Five star service all the way! The pools (inside and out) were clean and refreshing and I loved the touch of bringing you ice water as soon as you sit down. We ate at the Gallery Restaurant for dinner and it was fabulous. Breakfast in our room was great too. We do not play golf but the course looked inviting. We enjoyed our stay immensely and be back again soon, I hope.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family