“Elegant, but Pricey!”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Winston Salem, North Carolina
“Elegant, but Pricey!”
Reviewed 26 October 2010

It was a beautiful resort and we enjoyed the afternoon tea and grounds, (also there were several jacuzzis) but it was overpriced. It is especially nice if you are a golfer and there are a few nice restaurants around. The room was small for the price, but nicely furnished.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
CharlotteTravel, Public Relations Manager at The Ballantyne Hotel and Lodge, responded to this review, 4 November 2010
Dear sohappytolove,
Thank you for your feedback and for your kind words regarding our hotel and amenities. We value your comments but did want to share that our rates are determined by seasonal demand so rates vary throughout the year. We would love to welcome you back to The Ballantyne Hotel & Lodge!
Best regards,
Hotel Management

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (216)
Reviewed 15 October 2010

As soon as you walk in the front door, the staff is ready to welcome you to this fine hotel. The guest room was very luxurious and comfortable. The indoor pools and hot tub were especially nice at this time of the year. All staff was very friendly and accomodating making you feel special. We will return....

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with friends
CharlotteTravel, Director of eCommerce at The Ballantyne Hotel and Lodge, responded to this review, 22 October 2010
Dear ExecutiveOff,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We appreciate the kind words! Our staff strives to offer the best possible service, and we’re happy to hear you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Concord, NC
Reviewed 8 October 2010

My wife and I spent 3 nights/2 full days at the Hotel recently. Rooms and expansive bothrooms are plush (except for one small area of fraying carpet). Beds, pillows, sheets, etc are first rate. Sitting chair bottom needed more support. Other furnishings were fine. Note: flat screen TV is not HD and Internet access is not complementary.
The Spa is very good (great 80 min massages) but the indoor pool is not large. Did not try the new heated outdoor pool.
The food in the Gallery Restaurant was superb (3 dinners). The wine list was varied, if a bit pricy, but good values were available. The service was very good.
The golf course is a good track and in good shape. The new hybrid Bermuda greens were excellent, as was the golf course service from start to finish. Slow play can be expected on days when group outings include clueless yahoos.
Service in the hotel is uniformly excellent, from arrival to departure (when we were given complementary bottles of water). Billing and charges were accurate.
Overall, a very nice repeat visit for us.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business
CharlotteTravel, Public Relations Manager at The Ballantyne Hotel and Lodge, responded to this review, 14 October 2010
Dear Tsikes,
We were delighted to hear that you had a great return stay with us at The Ballantyne Hotel & Lodge. We’re so happy that you had enjoyable experiences at The Spa, Gallery Restaurant and The Golf Club and appreciate your comments regarding our service. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience, and we hope to welcome you back again soon.

Washington
Reviewed 27 September 2010

I stayed at this hotel for the weekend while visiting the area. Let me just start by saying the trip was very nice all around. The hotel is well taken care of and shows. The room was very comfortable and QUIET. We got the chance to eat lunch and dinner.. Let me just say wow! The food and service where amazing. Top notch food and bars. Very relaxing. Would say it is more geared towards adults with a kind of do not touch feel. The golf course was a great time, very well taken care of as well. I did get a chance to use the pool area as well and it was very nice. I saw other reviews of the pool area, as far as the drinking and 20 something’s...Let me just say I was there when this was going on and it was nothing like it was described. I actually had the pleasure of speaking with a few of the "20 something’s" and first off let me say that the ones I spoke with where very pleasant 30 something’s. They caused no disruption as far as I could see and where kicked out by management for an unknown reason. They must have (all fifteen of them) done something wrong. As far as the drinking in the pool....If you ever make it there, the pool is very nice and has a big BAR at the back of the pool deck. The people drinking in the pool where being served beer in the pool by the bucket full, by the staff of the hotel!!! Obviously not breaking any rules, if the staff is serving them the drinks. Furthermore, they where def. not the only people drinking around the pool or in it for that matter. I thought the pool experience to be perfectly fine given the surroundings and company. Again.... 4 SOLID STARS ALL AROUND.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled on business
Dear Boblyte,
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments, and we’re delighted to hear you had a relaxing experience at The Ballantyne Hotel & Lodge and enjoyed our accommodations, cuisine, service and amenities. We appreciated your feedback regarding the outdoor pool, and we continuously evaluate our service procedures to ensure we are offering the best possible guest experience. We hope to welcome you back soon.

Shelby Township, Michigan
Reviewed 20 September 2010

My wife and I stayed one night at the Ballantyne hotel after two nights in downtown Charlotte. The hotel and grounds are beautiful. The staff is exceptional. Two days prior to staying there, we went to check it out and the concierge wasn't busy, so he took the time to show us a room, the spa and the pool. Upon arriving for our stay, the valet promptly brought our bags up and thoroughly explained everything in the room. Being Starwood Preferred guests, we did get an upgrade to the golf course view. While everything was great, the price was higher than we usually spend for comparable properties. Just last month we stayed in a larger room at a Westin property in Florida with an oceanfront view, and we paid about $100.00 less. Taxes were high 8.25% sales tax + 8% County tax. Really appreciated that they did not charge for parking. A couple of minor complaints. 1. The Air Conditioner.... I think the digital temp was off since I had to get up three times to lower the temp. Started at 70 degrees and ended up at 65 before it was comfortable enough for sleeping. 2. The outdoor pool, while beautiful, was chilly. Temp outside was almost 90 degrees, and the pool only around 75 degrees.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank Michigan2124
CharlotteTravel, Public Relations Manager at The Ballantyne Hotel and Lodge, responded to this review, 11 October 2010
Dear Michigan2124,
Thank you for your feedback and taking the time to post your comments. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay at The Ballantyne Hotel & Lodge. While we feel that are rates are in line with the value we offer as a luxury property, we do appreciate your opinion. We also apologize for the inconveniences you experienced with temperatures. We will share your comments with our engineering team, so we may resolve any issues. Thank you again for your feedback, which will help us in our ongoing efforts to provide the best possible stay experience. We hope to welcome you back soon.

Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 13 September 2010

I was very pleased with the service, the facilities and the quality of the food that we received when we held our daughters wedding and reception at the Ballantyne Hotel. We were by far, not a "big" client however, we still received "big client" attention (And I soooo appreciated that) More than a month after the wedding I am still receiving compliments on how nice the wedding was. Thank you staff at Ballantyne Hotel for making my daughters dreams of a fabulous wedding come true. Mrs. Teresa Hucko

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
Dear Mrs. Hucko,
Thank you for your kind words and for choosing The Ballantyne Hotel & Lodge to host your daughter’s special day. We take great pride in making the planning process enjoyable and offering exceptional service, and we’re so happy your daughter had the wedding of her dreams and that your guests had a wonderful time. We hope you can come back to visit soon!
Okatie, South Carolina
Reviewed 5 September 2010

We spent a week in HHI at Inn at Harbour Town. Left to spend 3 days at Ballantyne. We were surprised to find that the Ballantyne isn't in a remote location away from the hustle and bustle of traffic and congestion. It is right in the middle of traffic and congestion. The website photo led us to believe we would be going to a peaceful resort outside Charlotte and away from stress.

Don't get me wrong, the resort is very pretty and the staff very attentive, but it is a corporate hotel, not a luxury resort. I'd have a business meeting here or conference, but it wasn't the R&R place we had expected. The pool is very near the main road and although there is music playing it doesn't drown out the traffic noise. We didn't want to stay in Charlotte and thought the hotel was far enough outside Charlotte to be peaceful. Ballantyne is in an area that might as well be Charlotte. Lots of shopping, traffic, restaurants. It's a great location if that is what you want, but that wasn't what we wanted.

After having left a resort in HHI that knew us by name and never asked us our room number or name and going to a large corporate resort where all you are is a room number - it wasn't want we thought. We checked out after 1 night and drove back home to VA.

Positives:
- great location for doing business.
- beautiful and clean resort.
- great amenities such as golf and spa.
- pool nice with pool service/bar
- room was comfortable as well as the bed
- noisy hall - lots of kids running up and down the hall
- food very good at signature restaurant. Thought breakfast was the best meal for the valule. I'd skip lunch and dinner.
-hotel was a good value for the price we paid which included $15 per person toward breakfast.

Negatives:
- charge for internet (for a business hotel found the charge for internet odd and not the norm these days. Most hotels of this caliber offer free internet service)
- $3 charge for a cup of coffee in the morning / no free coffee service for early risers (which is unusual these days - especially at this type of rated hotel)
- pool has noise from traffic on main road - although music tried to drown out
- umbrellas at the pool don't really provide shade / more decorative than functional
- they add tip to the bill, but no one tells you this and so I added another 20% tip and then found out after 2 more bills that tip is always added and I was paying again. I caught it at breakfast the day we checked out after signing several other tickets the day before not knowing tip was added. Would be nice if the servers would tell you the tip is already added for a party of 2 - but I think they count on you not noticing so they can get more money.
- found it odd that one person gets your bags from your room (tip #1), but that same person can't load your car. He passes off the luggage to another person, who loads the car (tip #2). It takes two tips to get your bags from your room to your car. I even asked the bellman to just load the car since my husband was waiting right outside the door and he said "he couldn't". Really? Is this a union hotel where one team member can only do one thing? Again, after leaving Inn at Harbour Town where no one has their hand out for a tip - I found the transfer of luggage from one person to another - just silly. The same thing happened when we arrived. One person took the bags and another delivered them. I'd suggest the hotel look at this practice and ask themselves "why"?
- Found some of the things they do very odd, not really 4 star service. Won't compete with Four Seasons on service.

If I were hotel manager for the day, I'd:

Increase the price of the room and offer for free:
- bottle water in each room (must pay for bottle water)
- a.m. coffee service in the lobby
- wireless internet

I'd change the practice of one person one task and ask the staff to "service the customer".

I'd stop adding tip to a 2 person bill or at a minimum instructing your staff to mention it to customers when they deliver the bill. It never occured to me to look for a pre-added tip because in all other resorts when tip is added, the staff mentions it when they deliver the bill. I feel cheated, but it wasn't enough for me to make a scene the day we checked out.

I'd add a kitchen closer to the pool so the staff doesn't have to take a golf cart to go get your food orders.

Again, this is a typical corporate hotel. I wouldn't recommend for R&R vacation. Just watch your receipts for tips.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank ConnieS
CharlotteTravel, Director of eCommerce & Revenue Management at The Ballantyne Hotel and Lodge, responded to this review, 8 September 2010
Dear ConnieS,
Thank you for taking time to write this insightful review of your stay at Ballantyne. We are very sorry that you did not have the relaxing stay that you and your family had planned in Charlotte. While we are committed to excellence in both customer service and offerings, it appears you were disappointed and we are deeply regretful for that. Our team has been reviewing each of your comments to identify each specific issue in order to improve our customer experience. Again we apologize and invite you to contact our General Manager directly if you wish to discuss your stay further.