“Surprisingly Terrible Customer Service”

Courtyard Charlotte City Center
Ranked #50 of 178 Hotels in Charlotte
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Surprisingly Terrible Customer Service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2011

I have stayed at many Marriotts, and I have never had such terrible customer service. I am aware that this is not Ritz Carlton- but I expected more. When checking in, I was cut-off mid conversation, spoken down to and received no instruction for parking, or anything else. I normally do not write reviews but I would advise future customers to avoid "Irish", who works at the front desk. She made the experience less than pleasant. Other than that, this hotel is in a great location for walking to great food and nightlife, the rooms are very clean and decent. Overall it would was an okay stay- the staff made it less pleasant.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank summerof86

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Raleigh
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2011

I got a great deal through priceline so for well under a hundo doll ers this was a great deal. Really can't beat the location. No frills but rooms were clean and my stay was great. Parking will run you ten a night.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank llboyd
Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2011

Upon arrival, a friendly desk clerk said, "I'll see if I can upgrade your room. Give me 15 minutes." She went ahead and gave us a room on the top floor, and we had no more than sat down our luggage before she was knocking at the door with an upgrade. Two doors down, we were given a large corner room with city skyline views on three sides! Great service, clean and comfortable.... we would stay at the Charlotte Courtyard City Center again, and again, and again, and....

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank bandofgypsies
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2011

My family and I were staying for two night after leaving the Ritz Carlton hotel ( wonderful hotel) to end a week stay in Charlotte. The desk clerk checking us in was not overtly rude but was not friendly either. We stayed on the H2 floors in two of their double bed rooms after requesting a room change to accommodate our family. Parking in the adjacent garage was 10 dollars a day. The parking garage has security staffed however this does not give it a since of security. As I was pulling in I noticed a large sign stating the hotel is not responsible for theft or loss of property due theft in larger print as your driving past the toll booth. I was thinking that this to be a bad omen,as later my car was broken into. After parking the car I returned to the lobby and took the card secured elevator to my floor. after arriving I noticed and unpleasant smell,pungent sour, after existing the elevator.I chalked it up to maybe the staff had recenlty cleaned or something. Upon entering one of the rooms we were immediate overwhelm with smell of cigarette smoke. We called to front desk to see if any thing could be done about the smell. They offered to spray the rooms to cover the smell. It didn't work, and as anyone how has stayed in a cigarette saturated room knows all to well that smell lingers for a long time. Also the smell in the hall was constant for the days we were there. On the bright side the rooms were a good size with a nice view of the pool. The hotel has free internet service for guest. The bathrooms were also nice and clean. So we decided to put up with as we intended to leave early the second night anyway.
Now, on that second night were packing to leave around 4am. I had parked my car (van) on the 11 floor which I assumed would be secure. Upon existing the elevator to parking garage I found the drive side window had been broken out and the glove compartment open and the contents scattered in the seat. I returned immediately to the front desk to call the police, Luckily nothing of value was in the car to be stolen. When I arrived at the front desk I asked the clerk to call the police my car had been broken into. She instead she calls the garage security personnel . A young security arrives a few minutes later. The young man has no weapon or any type of protective device and wants to return to the garage. I ask him to call the police and he complies to my request. He then informs me that hotel staff were aware of the break in around 9pm but will not call the police. They leave that decision ,of calling the police, to the hotel guest. The security officer then proceeds to take me to the fourth floor of the garage. I asked why we were getting off on the fourth floor. He told me that is were the burgled car was. I informed him that my car was on the eleventh floor and it had been broken into a well. He stated he was unaware of my car being burgled despite making rounds through the garage two hours ago, he claims. At this point I was ready to get the hell out of that hotel! So, the police arrive to make a report ( larceny due to possible theft ) and I had my family pack up to leave ASAP. I swept out as much of the shattered glass from front and rear seats as I could. I asked the front desk clerk for towels to cover the seats, to protect from glass pieces, so we could leave. The front desk could have cared less that we had been vandalized and was very reluctant to give us any of the hotels towels to cover the glass shards in our van. She gave us two towels, we needed three. I took one from the room and drove away as soon as I finished had checking out. We will be mailing the hotel their towels back.
I would not recommend anyone staying at this hotel. The desk staff are unpleasant, the hotels hallway smells ,one of our rooms smelled of cigarette smoke, and you can park your car in the garage at you own risk. It is true you get what you pay for.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank NEW:DESTINOR
dheinlein, Manager at Courtyard Charlotte City Center, responded to this review, 13 July 2011
Dear NEW: DESTINOR:
Please accept my deepest apologies for all the negatives you encountered during your stay with us. I especially regret that your van was broken into. I appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback and assure you that the odor will be addressed with our housekeeping team. Please do not go to the trouble of returning the hotel towels, I hate for you to experience further difficulty after your unpleasant experience. I hope that you and your family returned home safely and that this doesn’t prevent you from returning to the Charlotte area.

Best regards,

Sherry McWherter, General Manager
Baltimore, Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2011

The hotel was beyond adequate, I loved that my room was on the same floor as the very nice gym and pool. The best part of the hotel is its proximity to the City Center, which is full of bars and good places to eat.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank JaclynRN
Asheville, North Carolina
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2011

Staff wasn't very friendly, luckily I only had to deal with them at check in. I was there for a wedding and friends of mine who were also staying at that property had a room that REEKED of cigarette smoke (in a non-smoking room) and at 6:00 am when I woke up sick and went to throw up I found a cockroach crawling on my leg. My recommendation is to cough up the extra money and stay at the Marriott around the corner, it is MUCH nicer and best of all.. NO COCKROACHES!!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ChipChop525
Auckland, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2011

Our flight was delayed and we didn't arrive at the hotel until 1:45 AM.

Instead of just someone on night duty to check us in, Saeid welcomed us to Charlotte and the hotel, made sure we got a room that met our preferences (high floor and quiet), and provided us with information on the city, maps, advice and recommendations for a great place to have pulled pork (and it was great!) The hotel has a little market right next to the reception desk; so we were able to get to bottles of beer before we retired to the room. What a nice welcome!

The hotel is in a great location if you want to explore the city itself. We had decided not to rent a car and didn't miss it at all. If you like art, explore the NoDa area.

Room Tip: hotel is on top 4 floors of building